looking for cheap ski rental anywhere at all (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We plan to sell up and head off in August touring Europe then drive to a ski area in December for hopefully a few months. I would actually ski from the van but husband doesn't ski so that wouldn't be fair.
A 2 bed flat would suit us fine then we'd rent something bigger when the four kids plus partners came over for their,ski holiday.
Has anyone done this?
Do you think if we just pitched up in a ski area we'd find something on the spot or even a last minute vacancy and maybe changed every week?
Any tips?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It might be better to pose your question on a skiing website.

Nobody here hires an apartment in a ski resort when you can stay in a van for £150 a week max!
As for availability, the resorts that get reliable snow are likely to be booked well in advance, as well as being very expensive.

For instance, a couple of years ago in Val Thorens, during February half term, a couple with their small child had to abandon their Swift van (they were assured by the dealer it was fully winterised!).
Their new accommodation was around £3000 a week!

I'm not saying you wouldn't be able to do what you suggest, but December onwards is peak season and it will be costly!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
sorry I thought I was on the ski page ! I'll try again.
I'm going to have to get a ski place as i can't leave partner in a motor home all day in the snow. Would be different if he skied.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Don't worry! You are on the ski pages!!!!

I was suggesting Snowheads or similar Ski Forums for info on non-wheeled accommodation!:)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Haha! Just posted it again!
I tried snowHeads and j2ski already but it seems no one takes long lets.
I thought it would be sonething that motor homers do btw
Everyone on snowHeads begged me not to ski from a motor home long term due to freezing conditions even with winterising it.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
How do you find it? Have you skied from a motor home for a long period?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Haha! Just posted it again!
I tried snowHeads and j2ski already but it seems no one takes long lets.
I thought it would be sonething that motor homers do btw
Everyone on snowHeads begged me not to ski from a motor home long term due to freezing conditions even with winterising it.

Big girl's blouses!!!!!

We never have any problems with the cold, 20 degrees C constantly in our van 24/7!!!!

You do need the right van though!

The maximum stay for us has been 2 weeks, but to be honest, this could be indefinite. We just need to add diesel and gas to keep going for ever!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Ah ok this sounds more interesting - I was told it was really not a good idea. We are in our 60s though and feel the cold more...

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I watched the YouTube video on here and they looked somewhat chilled.....
Well if that's really true then it puts a different perspective on it.
We haven't bought our van yet so I'll have to make sure it's fully winterised. Are there as any makes that are particularly good at this?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
So after 2 weeks do you normally go home or drive somewhere warmer?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You need a continental build with all the water system inside. Double floored models are best although even some of these need the odd tweek to keep them trouble free.
As for older Funsters feeling the cold, John and Kath (Sherriff and Champers) are both retired and occasional skiers!!!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Becks are our local Hymer and Burstner dealer. These are both well winterised makes.

Stowmarket Caravans do Chausson, although you need to order the winter pack with these to ensure you have a heated waste tank.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks those tips.
Excellent! This means I can tour the different resorts too!
Are there a lot of Aires near the slopes?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Motorhomeski is worth googling for locations and for tips on motorhome prep!

http://www.motorhomeski.com/

Don't forget that this year was dire for snow in the Alps. The ability to move to where the snow is best is a big advantage over an apartment!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Martin is worried about snow tyres chains. Are they easy to fit or does a garage do it?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Martin is worried about snow tyres chains. Are they easy to fit or does a garage do it?

We have winter tyres on our MH, but they stay on year round for grip on wet muddy fields. Chains are easy to fit with a little practice. You need winter tyres for Alpine regions of Germany, Austria and Switzerland, but not France. Chains are required to be carried though.

To be fair, most roads are clear at all times anyway and fitting chains is the exception rather than the norm.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
just read about those on the link you sent
Thanks.
Where do you like to camp when you ski or do you use Aires? Are there even any winter campsites open?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Some resorts have 'Caravaneiges' or winter sites, usually linked by the ski bus.
Others have aires, some closer to the slopes than others.
Les Gets, Les Rousses, La Rosiere, Les Menuires, Val Thorens and La Plagne, for instance are ski in/out practically!
Many aires have a heated 'Flot Bleau' service point.

With a decent winterised van, using local gas cylinders or refillables, all you need do is add water, diesel and gas.
If no EHU is present, you do need to consider how you recharge you batteries. Solar can work if the panels are big enough, generators are popular, but noisy, and enhanced 12v charging systems are available.

Have a good search on here, especially on Hagernap's postings and blogs, and hopefully you will become wiser to the ways of motorhome skiing!!!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
That's great advice thanks
Will certainly do
And I am even more interested in a Hymer now.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We have just come back from Austria,
Link Removed
Austria for skiing has mainly campsites, which tend to be quite luxurious, including pools. Saunas etc. we even had a heated ski locker for boots and skis. The campsite was FULL - over 180 vans/ some caravans, which shows how popular skiing with motorhomes is and accepted on the continent. Some were long term winter pitches
Despite -10 degrees we were toasty warm, all the time and our insulating external silver screen worked a treat - no condensation what so ever.
Down side of austria -
for over 3.5 tons, Gobox toll system, but you pay tolls in France also
It's a lot further than many of the french resorts
We have gaslow, and austria is poorly served by available lpg refill sites near the ski resorts ( we used a lot of electric instead)
Would recommend "all the Aires, mountains" from vicarious books
Our van m/h is a knaus, another german brand, all fully winterised, as described before.
Hope this helps

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What kind of skiing are you looking for and would somewhere like Bulgaria have enough challenging pistes for you? I believe that it is cheaper than the Alps. Alternatively, the Pyrenees or around Grenada - they can have good skiing but there are also interesting things for your other half to keep him entertained, even if he heads off on his own for a few days.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What would your o/h do for a few months in a ski resort and what would you do if injured and who would you ski with!!!. I would go for a couple of two week breaks with friends who ski. If you are set on the long term holiday how about somewhere low with good links to high up Bride les Bains etc . Don't know if I'd bother with the m/h out of season accommodation is cheap we went this year to Les Arcs in Jan half board free wine in the evening nice hotel £399 all in flights the lot (in a group of 10 a good laugh)if only 2 people it can't be a lot less in the m/h but could go in it have a few weeks touring the med/Languedoc and visit Andorra /Pyrenees to ski when snow good. Lots of options just a bit jealous!!

David

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Champs du Moulin is a winter and summer campsite in Venosc, Rhone Alpes. It serves The ski resort Les Deux Alpes. They have lodges as well as camping. We are staying there for the second time this Easterin the motorhome . As with others I would think about what else there us to do if not skiing or the weather is bad. I would definitely recommend a try out first and see how you get on.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Look at Valloire , French alps. Never full. Good enough. Good cheap campsite, and early bird ski pass £200 for the SEASON. (has been for last few years). £250 if you include summer for down hill mountain biking. Its a genuine town and rather pleasant - we've spent many months there.... (search our blog for Valloire)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Wow some great tips there thanks.
Will make a note of all those.
David I will have a succession of visitors coming that I can ski with and when I'm alone I just tag onto a group at the lift. Have had to do it on two holidays and people are so friendly - it's just the idea of doing it that is daunting. Then I discovered snowHeads so can always link up with people.
Husband would just do what he normally does at home - he's very self sufficient - he just didn't fancy being holed up in a garret studio flat for 3 months in one place.
Hearing I can actually ski out of the van has changed everything. Very very excited now!
- being injured is of course the worst scenario but that will be the case our whole three years on the road as I will be the only driver. We would cope and maybe get a driving family member to fly out to get us home or something.
Marty I am also thinking Pyrenees but we will be italy way by Xmas so Dolomites would make more sense this year ( plus it's my favourite area so far) trouble is very expensive for group of 7 family members with partners to join me.
Also we always spend Xmas together so can't figure out how to do that part just yet.
I personally would love to visit Bulgaria but it's quite a hike and partner not too keen.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Mel and Ryan just looked at your blog
Great photos! Had trouble opening some of the files - ie the tips section.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back