LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The more recent charger units in Autotrails come with embedded solar chargers and smart systems that will do both Vehicle and leisure batteries. On my 2012 apache the EC500 is rated at 120w.
For the past 3 years I have run with just one 80w panel connected in via the EC500...
Now looking for upgrade options.

So question is... Has anyone with with an Autotrail fitted above the max on board regulator and if so how how have you wired it ?? A seperate regulator and straight to the leisure battery partly solves the issue but then I would loose the smart charge facility unless I get a B2B charger...

Or leave current 80w set to just do the vehicle battery and any new panels go direct to the leisure. But that just seems a waste of available power if the vehicle battery is full.... UNLESS I used some sort of switch to manually swop the current 80w panel to either go through the current EC500 or be diverted to join in parallel with new additional panels feeding the LB.. Does that make sense.. :)

Attachments

• solar.jpeg
    solar.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
51 views and not 1 comment.. !!!! :whistle:

Look's like I will sort this one on my own..

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
And not even a bump - sorry :D;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Steve,
This is a cheap solution for battery to battery balancing if you decide to go the discrete controller route. Here.

Got mine from here.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
First question is do you really need more solar? Have you run out of 12V power in the recent past? If not then you're just finding ways to spend money. If you have run low on power then yes more solar may help but how much more do you really need? Could you do better by just replacing your 80Watt with a 120Watt panel and keeping it connected through the Sargent system?

D.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have an AT Savannah with the optional solar panel. I have 2 leisure batteries. I don't have the capacity to stay off grid so am debating on adding more solar and/or a sterling battery to battery charger as finance permits.

Never had a problem with the vehicle battery - its also the leisure batteries that fall short of our needs!

Would have replied if I had the experience to answer to your question.

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
Just a thought, have you tried calling Sargent. You may remember I fitted a 100W panel to my EC325 on the Cheyenne and many Funsters, including your good self, were very helpful. One of the things I picked up was how helpful Sargent are. I called them about a connection and the patch lead and was put through to a dedicated technical help department.
Might be worth having a chat with them.
Phil

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
The more recent charger units in Autotrails come with embedded solar chargers and smart systems that will do both Vehicle and leisure batteries. On my 2012 apache the EC500 is rated at 120w.
For the past 3 years I have run with just one 80w panel connected in via the EC500...

So question is... Has anyone with with an Autotrail fitted above the max on board regulator and if so how how have you wired it ?? A seperate regulator and straight to the leisure battery partly solves the issue but then I would loose the smart charge facility unless I get a B2B charger...

Or leave current 80w set to just do the vehicle battery and any new panels go direct to the leisure. But that just seems a waste of available power if the vehicle battery is full.... UNLESS I used some sort of switch to manually swop the current 80w panel to either go through the current EC500 or be diverted to join in parallel with new additional panels feeding the LB.. Does that make sense.. :)

Why don't you just fit a 40 watt panel and connect the wiring from this to your 80 watt in parallel so no holes through roof and using existing wiring. I've done this with my Auto Sleeper Broadway upped it from 30 watt to 90 watt same Sargeant system.

John.

John.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Cheers on feedback..
Dave... You should know me, i dont spend money easy.. :) I would just feel a bit more comfortable with a little more back up power from the solar..

Phil J .. Ref Sargent, Yes I have had email contact with them and the guy who designed the pcb gave some info that will assist.. Just I have never heard of anyone trying to incorporate the exisisting and separate system.. Maybe my work around is a bit weird...

Harley john,,, I did think of that option but I got to tempted with the 120w panel on ebay and pressed the buy button..

Anyway, panel arriving tomorrow.. :) Give me something to do once the weather breaks..

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
"Dave... You should know me, i dont spend money easy.. :) I would just feel a bit more comfortable with a little more back up power from the solar.."

Yes Steve I do know you but you didn't answer the question, have you run out of power or not?

D.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not actually run out but at a point where it was getting to close for comfort.......

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
So upping your solar capacity from 80 Watts to 120 Watts (a 50% increase) will probably sort it then? And you could sell the 80 Watt panel to offset the cost of increasing your solar real estate.

Or you could spend a lot more money and time rigging up a second panel with a complex management regime that requires you to remember to flick a switch at the right time..........................:)

D.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
So upping your solar capacity from 80 Watts to 120 Watts (a 50% increase) will probably sort it then? And you could sell the 80 Watt panel to offset the cost of increasing your solar real estate.

Or you could spend a lot more money and time rigging up a second panel with a complex management regime that requires you to remember to flick a switch at the right time..........................:)

D.

Yea... I Know !!! Madness...
Knowing me I will fit the 120 via the built in system and leave the 80w there until I can decide to take it off..... :doh:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Mate, just buy a new van, you know you want to. lol

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Knowing me I will fit the 120 via the built in system and leave the 80w there until I can decide to take it off..... :doh:

80+120 is nice, so just what do you lose if you wire conventionally to leisure ? It certainly gets you out of the clutches of Sargent.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Mate, just buy a new van, you know you want to. lol

No point...... !!! The wife already has her eye on a new car when I "pop my clogs". Her words, said today !!!!!!!!!!!!
So may as well leave it in the bank for her...

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
We could always auction the slippers. ....

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013

The first thing to note is that whilst Autotrail does use proper solar type wire (4mm) to connect the panel from the roof down to the rear of the EC500 unit (the regulator clips to the rear of this), but they only use 1.5mm household flexible cable to connect the regulator to the main board. Add to this that the board to battery wires are 2.5mm max and you can quickly see that you are losing a substantial part of your power due to resistance in the actual wires. I did speak to Sargent about adding another 40w panel (I had a spare one from my tugging days) and they strongly advised against doing so due to the complicated circuitary involved in the main panel. They did say that you could probably use the solar regulator (100w rated) with the new combided 120w set up, but their advice was to run new wires direct to batteries as opposed using the EC500.

My solution was to add another 80w panel (opposite side of roof - away from TV aeriel which does cast large shadows over actual panel!!!) together with a seperate split solar charger. This is totally stand alone from the EC500 and charges both leisure and vehicle batteries as required. All wiring is also quality 6mm flexible cable.

Above has been running for almost two years and never had EHU yet, even in winter (I also have a sterling B2B as well for dismal days)

Hope this helps

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@Nigel&Debbie cheers...
Good point about the AT's internal wiring and often wondered about how much power was lost through that..

When I originally asked Sargent they suggested to put the EC500 into "vehicle" mode and leave existing panel as it was so that charged the starter battery. Then any output from a seperate regulator / panel to go to 2 connections under the EC500 that went to straight to the leisure battery. However as you say, this then uses the thin wires and will give loss so no point. Might as well go straight to the LB from the new regulator.

Still deciding which way to go, weather is so changeable so there's no rush as yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back