Levelling ramps question (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29692
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Took our van back to the storage site today after our week away and noticed that the van in the space next to ours is on it's ramps (both front wheels). This got me thinking - surely it can't be doing the tyres much good to be on ramps for a long period of time and regardless of that is there any reason why you would want to?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I normally park in the drive with one rear wheel on a ramp in order to level the van across its width - cannot do anything about the front-rear fall-off though. This helps to ensure rain water runs off reasonably evenly without sitting in the locker recesses. Regarding tyre or suspension wear, its no different to being on the ground. Also, and I'm sure this might worry you more, I do not leave the handbrake on. The auto transmission is, however, locked in 'P'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I sometimes advise my customers to do this as some roof designs result in lots of rain water accumulating, which can lead to blocked roof drains or in worse case water ingress

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Thats what the springs are for, lift one corner up, other corner spring compresses to accommodate, I think anti roll bar may come in to play too (y)

Just what I'd read somewhere Jock...

That with A class especially their bodies could twist when left on one ramp...

Me?

I know nothing...

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Took our van back to the storage site today after our week away and noticed that the van in the space next to ours is on it's ramps (both front wheels). This got me thinking - surely it can't be doing the tyres much good to be on ramps for a long period of time and regardless of that is there any reason why you would want to?

Or draining his grey water tank...........:devil: :imoutahere:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I park on self made ramps. Lifts the front by 3 inches to aid water run off. Reason - free flowing rain leaves less crap from the atmosphere and also I get less algae growth.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a problem with water pooling because the rear sits up a lot and my drive slopes a bit, BUT BEFORE you say it I cannot back the van out, I must back it in, I have 2 inches either side of the gateway and a narrow road outside. I would buy a set of maintenance ramps but they will not take the weight of the MH.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fortunately our drive has quite a slope downwards from front to rear so as we reverse our van on the water runs off the roof without a problem, but if not then we'd use ramps without question.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
my drive is on a slope. it goes towards the house. so I always back in. the rain runs straight of.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have a problem with water pooling because the rear sits up a lot and my drive slopes a bit, BUT BEFORE you say it I cannot back the van out, I must back it in, I have 2 inches either side of the gateway and a narrow road outside. I would buy a set of maintenance ramps but they will not take the weight of the MH.
then either build yourself a permanent pair of ramps from concrete blocks or bricks or have a welder make a set of over engineered inspection ramps that can be bolted to the driveway. either can be easily removed if the situation changes

i used to have a pair of steel ramps built to use with a 7.5tonne truck. leant them out years ago and they never got returned

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I think you all need to get your drives levelled. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile::devil:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We stored a van on a gentle lateral slope and it ended up with a permanent right hand lean.

Reactions: f6c

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Although ours collects water on the roof I prefer not to use ramps when it's in storage.

We had a bad experience with a handbrake cable snapping on our old VW camper so I leave our MH on level ground with the handbrake off and small chocks by the tyres.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I park ours in storage with the front end on the standard yellow ramps, in gear, handbrake off, plus a wooden wedge under one of the rear wheels. Being an older van, there is a slight roof dip around the main Heki roof light, and parking this way stops puddling.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
well come and level my drive for me Mjltigger. it really needs doing. pretty please.:winky::winky:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We made some ramps out of an old scaffold plank. Two pieces at three foot, two at two, two at one. Chamfer one end of each and screw them on top of each other, six inch lift easy. (y)

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Just a tip, if you need to use levellers on smooth tarmac, to stop them shooting away as you try to run up them use a small piece of old rubber inner tube under each one or some other anti slip material, they stay put.

If you put the ramps behind the front wheels and reverse onto them, they very rarely slip out as the driving wheels 'scoop' them under. (obviously better on font wheel drive vehicles)
Jim

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
thank you very much. but if you don't mind I wont hold my breath.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back