New bits to fit when I get home. (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Whats your thoughts guys Second Banner 110 battery to match other leisure,
I believe from tonka that you buy the harness,
also gas tank or bottles refillable,
A inverter for the wife's hair dryer / straightners. ( what wattage?)
I have a 100w solar panel already fitted, will that be enough?
The reason been doing a lot of wilding this year don't want to use euh If I can help it.

by I had my tenners worth this month

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have 4 x Banner 110A batteries and 230w of solar power. I find this to be enough to charge my batteries up when the conditions are good, though I try not to let the battery level drop below 80%. Couldn't comment about fitting them as I'm useless at anything practical so I had them installed by Roadpro.
I also have a gaslow-type refilllable gas bottle system but would love an underslung tank, much more capacity I believe.
I have a 1000W inverter which is fine for my need as I have very little hair left on my napper but, from reading previous posts, i think a larger inverter would be required for a normal hairdryer.
Hope this helps :)

ps you can never have too much leccy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Inverter, go for 2kw pure sine with remote control panel and you are pretty future proof.

If you do this you will need at least two batteries at 110ah and another 100watt solar would not go amiss.

I might say gas tank as you get more capacity than two bottles and you gain a storage cupboard but do you have the payload for all these toys.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The second battery is a definate best move.. I have replied on the other thread about the harness etc..
Today i ordered a new 120 w solar panel... Leaving my 80w in place and working on a system to use the Autotrail smart charge plus add the extra with minimum outlay and messing about..
Gas, worthwhile of you use a lot or cant manage the bottles.. We dont use that much plus I carry a full bottle back from Spain so refillable not viable for me..
Inverter.. I have one but it's only 600w with a max short use at 100w, wife has a small travel hairdryer and uses that BUT not very often..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Second Banner 110 battery to match other leisure
Definitely assuming your other battery is still in good condition. Your 100w solar panel will be kicking out a lot of power in good weather so you might as well store as much as you can and make the most of it!

gas tank or bottles refillable
Gas bottles for me as they can be moved easily to another MH in the future and cost quite a bit less than a tank - note that the capacity of an underslung tank isn't necessarily that much greater than a couple of 11kg refillable bottles as it depends on what can be fitted under your chassis as most MHs/campers have other stuff in the way so may even be less capacity than bottles! Very easy to DIY install bottles too.

A inverter for the wife's hair dryer / straightners. ( what wattage?)
Suggest she looks at the gas cartridge range of tongs, straighteners, brushes from the likes of Braun as electric version would need to be low powered and not as good as she's used to at home anyway unless you spend some serious money on an inverter and batteries! A small inverter is good for such things as charging up equipment batteries, razor etc.

I have a 100w solar panel already fitted, will that be enough?
We have a 75w solar panel and have no problems whatsoever with that along with a couple of 100w batteries ... we never go on sites and rarely have hook up and have done several long trips (6 weeks plus) with no problems at all.

The reason been doing a lot of wilding this year don't want to use euh If I can help it.

A man after my own heart! If we can do it with only 75w of solar and 2 x 100w batteries, you should be okay so long as you don't try to light your van up like Las Vegas or watch hours of 'Big Brother' every night!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I believe from tonka that you buy the harness
Not sure what the 'harness' is but if Tonka mentioned it ... it could be ANYTHING! :eek:

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
The second battery is a definate best move.. I have replied on the other thread about the harness etc..
Today i ordered a new 120 w solar panel... Leaving my 80w in place and working on a system to use the Autotrail smart charge plus add the extra with minimum outlay and messing about..
Gas, worthwhile of you use a lot or cant manage the bottles.. We dont use that much plus I carry a full bottle back from Spain so refillable not viable for me..
Inverter.. I have one but it's only 600w with a max short use at 100w, wife has a small travel hairdryer and uses that BUT not very often..
Reading the manual it says max 120w solar power?

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Sorry having to sign off now as note book needs charging I will be back.
Laurie

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Not sure what the 'harness' is but if Tonka mentioned it ... it could be ANYTHING! :eek:

OI.... Battery harness connecting lead. !!!!
No kinky stuff.. That's banned till I get my heart bypass.. Then JUST STAND BACK !!!! :rofl:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Reading the manual it says max 120w solar power?

Correct... I am going to swop my 80w for a new 120w. ( ebay £82). and use that though the Autotrail smart system...
I have posted in the solar section about my new plans...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Correct... I am going to swop my 80w for a new 120w. ( ebay £82). and use that though the Autotrail smart system...
I have posted in the solar section about my new plans...
I would utilise both panels and stuff the smart controller.
200watts and a standalone controller is far better than a 120 watt panel and a fancy inbuilt controller.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would utilise both panels and stuff the smart controller.
200watts and a standalone controller is far better than a 120 watt panel and a fancy inbuilt controller.

Yes but the smart inbuilt controller does both my Lb and vehicle bat.. If I go straight to LB with 200w then i loose vehicle bat charge, which i prefer to keep.. Or. have more outlay with a B2B charger. BUT. my plans are put the 120w on the smart controller which can be set for LB only, vehicle batt only or smart charge of both.. Take the old 80w direct to LB via a seperate controller.. Place a switch after the 120w panel and i can switch it to go through the seperate controller when needed ie at rallies.. Should all work in theory....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now you said REPLACE THE 80WATT ....No mention of a second controller.
You're just trying to catch me out young man, you need to eat breakfast in the dark to be up early enough to catch me out.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Now you said REPLACE THE 80WATT ....No mention of a second controller.
You're just trying to catch me out young man, you need to eat breakfast in the dark to be up early enough to catch me out.

I also said I had posted my idea in the solar section, pending feedback.. Rather than explain it all here... BUT. you made me do it.!! :doh::rofl:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Extra batteries are better value than more solar if it's a choice between them. I have 400w solar but only 2 x 125Ah batteries. As a result the batteries are normally fully charged all the time, even running microwave, electric kettle, hairdryer etc via inverter, except in the winter of course. Most of my solar generation goes to waste as nowhere to store it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You always need more solar panels just to get you over the bad westher periods if you don't have masses of battery storage. We manage on 160ah batteries and 320w solar but when these batteries die I would tempted to go around 240 to 300ah but the solar is fine.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Thanks to all I know which way I am going now.
extra battery, connector from Sargent,
Gas bottles easy if I change van.
cut the wifes hair short, so no need for the inverta

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
My van is a Apache 700 Auto trail 2013 has any one got 2 gasit 11kg bottles in the locker?
At the moment I have had 11 and a 6 kg calors in are they the same size as gasit bottles.

Laurie.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes but the smart inbuilt controller does both my Lb and vehicle bat.. If I go straight to LB with 200w then i loose vehicle bat charge, which i prefer to keep.. Or. have more outlay with a B2B charger. BUT. my plans are put the 120w on the smart controller which can be set for LB only, vehicle batt only or smart charge of both.. Take the old 80w direct to LB via a seperate controller.. Place a switch after the 120w panel and i can switch it to go through the seperate controller when needed ie at rallies.. Should all work in theory....
If you use a standalone controller then the feed to the LB can also be split to supply the van as well. Mine does.far simpler.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back