Fon, again still won't work (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i know we've been here many times and iv really give up on it as there is plenty free wi fi about now without it, but just thought I'd have one more go at it, when I connect to it , it says connected and excelent connection and the wifi thingy shows on the top bar, but when I try to use it ,I get a message to connect to the Internet or no connection and nothing will work and if I do a speed test,there's nothing there, can anyone tell me what's wrong with it. I get this on android tablet and iPad and my phones. Can't understand it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You are connecting to a wifi unit, Not the internet.
your router will need configuring to the bt fon internet settings.
If you dont agree to sharing your connection (a very small portion and seperate from your own connection) you cant use other bt customers wifi
have you registered with bt to enable free wifi/fon.
go to the accounts page on the bt website and click 'my extras'

Their website is woefully lacking in any kind of simplicity.

Sorry i cant help further as its quite some time since i registered.

Sorry, just seen your post above....i thought you meant wifi.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Oh, when I connect via the app it says connected to BT wifi with fon?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Have you tried opening a web page and if so, do you get the screen saying welcome to BT something and click below to log in? We have to do that when using it and it works well for us.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you tried opening a web page and if so, do you get the screen saying welcome to BT something and click below to log in? We have to do that when using it and it works well for us.
You should only have to do that at the first use...once logged in it remains logged in.

I tried the bt app but couldnt get on with it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You should only have to do that at the first use...once logged in it remains logged in.

I tried the bt app but couldnt get on with it.

I have to do that every time I log onto Fon. If I don't, all I get is the broadband signal indicator but no connection.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think it was devonbeekeeper who discovered that the bt phone line email address must be the same as the bt broadband email. Lots of us probably still get our bills attached to an old email address rather than the bt broadband email. I am going to try to change it before our next trip. Not sure if that's what he meant mind.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have to do that every time I log onto Fon. If I don't, all I get is the broadband signal indicator but no connection.
Appologies, i keep refering to bt wifi.
dont think ive ever used bt fon.
if i cant find either free or bt wifi hotspot i just go online via my phone provider.
if i have no phone internet signal then tough...it aint the end of the world.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think it was devonbeekeeper who discovered that the bt phone line email address must be the same as the bt broadband email. Lots of us probably still get our bills attached to an old email address rather than the bt broadband email. I am going to try to change it before our next trip. Not sure if that's what he meant mind.
Thats it !!!!!

Our line account email was different to our bb account mail address.
the line was in Shirls email, @aol.com, and the bb was in mine, @btinternet.
i had to change the line email to my bt mail address to get it sorted.

Doesnt matter to us which email address either line or bb are in.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Appologies, i keep refering to bt wifi.
dont think ive ever used bt fon.
if i cant find either free or bt wifi hotspot i just go online via my phone provider.
if i have no phone internet signal then tough...it aint the end of the world.
My phone network is with O2 and it is often faster for me to walk the streets until I find a Fon signal than wait for O2 to provide an Internet connection.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
With the BT app on android......can't speak for the Fruit Farm, I connect continually to BT wifi/Fon call it what you will. Don't have to log in anymore it just does everything automatically. In city centres and totally unlikely places like villages in the Cotswolds I am rarely without wifi. As PappaJ has already said you must have all your details with BT up to date or it simply doesn't work.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My phone network is with O2 and it is often faster for me to walk the streets until I find a Fon signal than wait for O2 to provide an Internet connection.
My mifi is/was on giffgaff......they use the 02 carrier.
load of rubbish up our way.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
My mifi is/was on giffgaff......they use the 02 carrier.
load of rubbish up our way.

Giff Gaff on 02 down here in SE Wales total load of rubbish here too, also at my workplace 122 miles away total waste of time. The carriers primary concern is the carriers own customers not the customers of organisations like Giff Gaff as I've found to my cost.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Giff Gaff on 02 down here in SE Wales total load of rubbish here too, also at my workplace 122 miles away total waste of time. The carriers primary concern is the carriers own customers not the customers of organisations like Giff Gaff as I've found to my cost.
I believe that pure O2 is better than the likes of Giff Gaff on O2 based on my attempts to call my wife while standing next to her; she is on Giff Gaff and I am on O2 - my wife's phone went straight to voicemail with no signal while I had 3 bars.

However, all will change as she and I are both moving to EE :)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I believe that pure O2 is better than the likes of Giff Gaff on O2 based on my attempts to call my wife while standing next to her; she is on Giff Gaff and I am on O2 - my wife's phone went straight to voicemail with no signal while I had 3 bars.

However, all will change as she and I are both moving to EE :)

Or BT as it will be called shortly Matty:Eeek:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I just hope that it will stay better than the poor network that O2 provides.
I just hope that it will stay better than the poor network that O2 provides.

True . I find the BT wifi/Fon thing brilliant and we have fibre optic now out in the Welsh countryside at 30 megs so I can't complain though it's not the most user friendly organisation is it. We have to use a Voda Sure Signal box at home which swallows a Gig and a half but once again can't complain works a treat for us.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can always connect to bt wifi, but if you look at the various connections In the list , there is always a bt fon connection ,if I click on this it goes through all the motions of connecting and then shows , connected , but if you try to use it ,it will not do anything, and sometimes when at home my iPad connects to it on its own, and the only time I know about it is when it stops doing anything, and then look at the connections and have to log in to bt again.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Against other people's view of bt, I have no trouble with it at all, it's just when the fon bit comes into it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I can always connect to bt wifi, but if you look at the various connections In the list , there is always a bt fon connection ,if I click on this it goes through all the motions of connecting and then shows , connected , but if you try to use it ,it will not do anything, and sometimes when at home my iPad connects to it on its own, and the only time I know about it is when it stops doing anything, and then look at the connections and have to log in to bt again.
Are you connecting to Fon at home or away from home?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Chaser, can't understand why you are seeing the Fon thingy..........I don't it just gives me an audible alert and prioritises the connection to the strongest signal but I have the option to change it if I want. I never see any BT Fon thing come up it's always BT hotspot or BT wifi.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Against other people's view of bt, I have no trouble with it at all, it's just when the fon bit comes into it.
I'm not sure who was reporting issues with BT.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Chaser, can't understand why you are seeing the Fon thingy..........I don't it just gives me an audible alert and prioritises the connection to the strongest signal but I have the option to change it if I want. I never see any BT Fon thing come up it's always BT hotspot or BT wifi.
I always get it , on my phone and tablets,so does Julie and it always shows a strong signal but just seizes up

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I always get it , on my phone and tablets,so does Julie and it always shows a strong signal but just seizes up

Is that using the app mate. If it is it may well need updating though that should happen automatically. I have not seen any BT Fon sites showing on my android phone. My app last updated 3 days ago and I have to say it works superbly. Perhaps you just need to uninstall whatever you have and download the up to date app.................but that's opinion speaking not expertise.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Sorry, I can't advise beyond a suggestion to turn it off for 5 mins and then restarting it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back