Roof mounted air con. (1 Viewer)

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
If buying a new van what does having one fit do to your damp ingress gurantee?

Or if there is space would it be better to go for one in the bed locker?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Better off buying a couple of fan`s... (y)

Noisy things, cannot sleep with them on, and have to be on a desent EHU to use them...

Make a neat job and put a fan assisited sky light in and you can have my virtually unused one.. :wink:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a roof mounted air con unit and as old mo says its a noisy thing.

Bit like leaving the hoover running in the corner of the bedroom.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Cheers all. I've DMOR and got the answer I needed to my original post.

Thanks.

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We use our roof mount for the de humidifier and we use it in the mornings before we get out of bed for heating the compressors on them are a bit noisy probably the newer ones are quiter

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Cheers all. I've DMOR and got the answer I needed to my original post.

Thanks.

No we had one in a locker in a previous van it was noisy and the van vibrated all the time it was running. If you really need one roof mounted is best. (y)

OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
No we had one in a locker in a previous van it was noisy and the van vibrated all the time it was running. If you really need one roof mounted is best. (y)

Cheers but I was meaning I had found the answer to my question in the first post I made ie the water ingress guarantee not how noisy the varios types are. On that point I have had a look at a couple of you tube videos too and although the roof mounted ones do make a noise I think I could live with it. I would have to hear one first hand though before making a decision.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Our current van has a roof mounted never leaked or let water in and its over 12 years old.
We occasionally use it down in the Mediterranean if its exceptionally hot. It is noisy but not enough to keep us awake if on low setting and now where near as noisy or vibey as the locker one.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would just love it to be hot enough to complain about it :LOL:
I even took the "Fantastic Fan" off as it blocked out too much light, much prefer to see the sky day or night.

OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Our current van has a roof mounted never leaked or let water in and its over 12 years old.
We occasionally use it down in the Mediterranean if its exceptionally hot. It is noisy but not enough to keep us awake if on low setting and now where near as noisy or vibey as the locker one.

Cheers.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I had my roof aircon removed, it wasn't needed and also added extra weight. A 400 x 400 sky light was put in its place and increased the light. We have travelled in very hot weather and found air-con unnecessary, in fact a good table fan was adequate.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have one fan clipped on the locker and that is on 24 hours a day and a floor standing one that keeps the van reasonably cool all day when we are in Greece and the temps are in the high 30's

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Cheers but I was meaning I had found the answer to my question in the first post I made ie the water ingress guarantee not how noisy the varios types are. On that point I have had a look at a couple of you tube videos too and although the roof mounted ones do make a noise I think I could live with it. I would have to hear one first hand though before making a decision.

We have a Dometic Freshlight and it does let water in when we park the van on our drive. It's on a front downward angle. Strange thing regarding noise when running is that it's really quiet outside. Your neighbour would never complain but in doors it sounds like you left the hoover running in the corner.

I would also say if you are thinking of buying one - Don't. They apparently do not have enough evaporation units (to allow for the window) and don't really cool the air that well. We have had Dometic out to ours and the engineer says it's as good as it gets.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
We have roof mounted air-con. Noisy and never used it, even in hot weather. Total bloody waste at the expense of natural light. If van is level and we get a big down poor it lets water in. If we do not up-grade this year, its coming out!!

Keith :cool:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
BTW HAE wondered WTF DMOR is? :LOL:
How about sharing your findings?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
BTW HAE wondered WTF DMOR is? :LOL:
How about sharing your findings?

Well it's vauge to be honest. But using the wording in Elddis' which refers to the warranty being void if any structural alterations are carried out it to me implies that fitting a roof mounted air con would provide the ability to wriggle out of a claim.

Of course the other thing I discovered when I DMOR was that sometimes they are swapped for a std. 400 x 400 skylight which it could be argued does not constitute a structural alteration. Cutting a new hole however possibly could be.

I think to get a definitive answer would require something in writing from a dealer or manufacturer.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes all aircons generally replace a factory fitted heki or the like.
If you put yourself in the converters shoes I think it would be quite usual to negate warranty on a heki being removed that was sealed by them unless the aircon is fitted by themselves. I would expect that leakage after fitting by anyone else would be entirely the responsibility of the supplier/fitter unless approved by the converter.
EDIT
Of course there is also a cable entry through the roof for the power supply to consider just like for any other roof mount accessory, satellite, solar, aerial, etc

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have a roof top air con, and this post comes up lots, so tomorrow when I visit the van, I am going to run the unit in fan, heat and cool modes and I will video it, with some baseline noise, so that everyone can judge the actual noise that this things make.
BTW for reference, I agree, in cooling mode it would be impossible to sleep, partially from the noise, and partially due to the neighbours you have woken up wanting to kill you!! :D

OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
We have a roof top air con, and this post comes up lots, so tomorrow when I visit the van, I am going to run the unit in fan, heat and cool modes and I will video it, with some baseline noise, so that everyone can judge the actual noise that this things make.
BTW for reference, I agree, in cooling mode it would be impossible to sleep, partially from the noise, and partially due to the neighbours you have woken up wanting to kill you!! :D

That would be appreciated actually so thanks. Please confirm your make model and year of manufacture when you do.

Thanks again.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We have a roof mounted air con unit and as old mo says its a noisy thing.

Bit like leaving the hoover running in the corner of the bedroom.

Or trying to sleep on a jet flight! take the advice, save money and payload and use a couple of fans....You soon get acclimatised anyway. Plus it normally cools down at night unless a heatwave. even fans need turning off at night as it normally gets too cool

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I agree with above I would not buy another air con unit. In three years I suspect it works out around £100 per night so far. :(:rolleyes:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Better off buying a couple of fan`s... (y)

Noisy things, cannot sleep with them on, and have to be on a desent EHU to use them...

Make a neat job and put a fan assisited sky light in and you can have my virtually unused one.. :wink:

thats what I always thought and what we do..But was in a Carthago n Italy a few weeks a go and there was very quiet and van lovely and cool. never got the name of it:(

we had a Waeco roof unit on our 2007 Euramobil..vowed never to bother again..now not sure and as we always go away July/August might order on new van..

has anyone got a recommendation please and an idea as to weight would be helpful.. as I think they have improved?

Eddie

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
DMOR stand for "Distinguished Member of the Regiment" according to Google. Did the OP ask Old Mo? Or at a guess is it Did MOre Research?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
DMOR stand for "Distinguished Member of the Regiment" according to Google. Did the OP ask Old Mo? Or at a guess is it Did MOre Research?
Done my own research

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We use ours a lot at race meetings nice to put on cool leathers when its hot especially when you sat on the exhaust in the bike!!, It is a bit noisy but can sleep with it on low fan setting, but usually put it on for a couple of hours before we go back in the van so that its cool to go to bed, not had a leak yet fingers crossed(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back