Converting a Refrigerated Transit LWB HR Panel Van to a Campervan/Motorhome (1 Viewer)

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
This first set of photos were taken by the seller on fleabay as I viewed them online.

Before I bought the van I researched the refrigerated units, fridge and freezer and the insulated wall, floor and ceiling panels. I should be able to re-sell the lot for a few hundred. Also, I should be able to re-sell the bulkhead.

Of course, that means nothing if the van itself is useless. The van is a good runner with a few repair jobs needing done. I don't have a deadline or a prefered time to complete the conversion, but I reckon a good few months at best.

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
please dont think i am belittling your choice of donor vehicle to convert. however I know from experience that its going to be a lot of hard work and expense to convert. it will be made harder with the condition of the van shown in the pictures and the alterations already done to it like the fridge box and lining

a friend of mine bought a fridge van second hand to use for his business. what was shocking was the rot in the floor caused by the van being constantly damp. no doubt why the van was sold off at 3 years old

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
My present van was bought already converted, with very high mileage. I've refitted the van with smart light oak Vehringer board, and added more high lockers. I've fitted 190 watts of solar panels, side awning, and reconditioned the gearbox.
I do not know the history of my van, but it looks like it was possibly a refregerated van, it has an inner skin of aluminium, and hence has a high value of insulation. The body is great, very good condition, especially now as I've just polished it!
I've owned it for nearly 4 years, it's done 8 or 9 tours in Europe, countless more in the UK, we've spent upwards of 3 months a year sleeping in it. All for much less than £10k! If you get the pleasure from it, it doesn't matter how old or many miles it has done. It's doing it that counts.
Last year I met a couple who had spent over £100k on a huge 6-wheeler, so big it had to be parked on the campsite road. And they had never tried camping before. It takes all sorts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
please dont think i am belittling your choice of donor vehicle to convert. however I know from experience that its going to be a lot of hard work and expense to convert. it will be made harder with the condition of the van shown in the pictures and the alterations already done to it like the fridge box and lining

a friend of mine bought a fridge van second hand to use for his business. what was shocking was the rot in the floor caused by the van being constantly damp. no doubt why the van was sold off at 3 years old

All comments are welcome! I hadn't considered the problem that may arise with the condition of the floor being constantly damp. I will need to double check that before I advertise the fridge/freezer unit for sale.

I'm prepared for the hard work that it will require, and the expenses to convert the van will be handled on an item to item bases. I'm the kind of person that would buy 3 items at a good price, sell 2 of them, get my money back and have the third item and profit for my time in doing so.

Granted, the van does look tatty in the pictures. A few rust spots and dents to deal with and a wash will brighten it up. :)

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
My present van was bought already converted, with very high mileage. I've refitted the van with smart light oak Vehringer board, and added more high lockers. I've fitted 190 watts of solar panels, side awning, and reconditioned the gearbox.
I do not know the history of my van, but it looks like it was possibly a refregerated van, it has an inner skin of aluminium, and hence has a high value of insulation. The body is great, very good condition, especially now as I've just polished it!
I've owned it for nearly 4 years, it's done 8 or 9 tours in Europe, countless more in the UK, we've spent upwards of 3 months a year sleeping in it. All for much less than £10k! If you get the pleasure from it, it doesn't matter how old or many miles it has done. It's doing it that counts.
Last year I met a couple who had spent over £100k on a huge 6-wheeler, so big it had to be parked on the campsite road. And they had never tried camping before. It takes all sorts.

If there's a will, there's a way! (y)

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Are you going to use existing insulation in the build I would probably be a very warm van in winter
bill

Sorry, I read it as levy. Unfortuanetly the way it's been altered for the fridge/freezer unit, it has drastically reduced the space available. When I stand in the van, my hair is just about touching the roof and i'm only 5ft 8" so it has to come out.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Sorry, I read it as levy. Unfortuanetly the way it's been altered for the fridge/freezer unit, it has drastically reduced the space available. When I stand in the van, my hair is just about touching the roof and i'm only 5ft 8" so it has to come out.
just take roof insulation out and put thinner stuff in

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
just take roof insulation out and put thinner stuff in

As you can see by the images, once removed there will be lots of space reclaimed, too much space too loose in my opinion.

hubbard-460-fridge-freezer-transportation-unit-rear-compartment-01.jpg

hubbard-460-fridge-freezer-transportation-unit-rear-compartment-02.jpg

That's the rear compartment pictured, the front compartment is only accesible through the side sliding door, which isn't sliding at the moment as it's stuck shut. All the fixes i've found mentioned online deal with fixing from the inside, so brut force may be required.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Cant you leave the refrigeration unit in and use it as a quick blast of air con in our hot summer days, or will you get a small fortune if you sell it

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Looks like you'll have a nice void between the real floor (if anys left) and the false floor to put all the hidden wiring water tanks and pumps etc in already. That's if you can get the false floor you're stood on out in one piece

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cant you leave the refrigeration unit in and use it as a quick blast of air con in our hot summer days, or will you get a small fortune if you sell it

More chance of getting a small fortune than hot summer days. :) Yeh, should get a few hundred for the whole unit.

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looks like you'll have a nice void between the real floor (if anys left) and the false floor to put all the hidden wiring water tanks and pumps etc in already. That's if you can get the false floor you're stood on out in one piece

I havn't calculated the sq footage, but it's got to be quite a bit. I've had a look at the underside of the vehicle and it's sound enough, if that's anything to go by.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I havn't calculated the sq footage, but it's got to be quite a bit. I've had a look at the underside of the vehicle and it's sound enough, if that's anything to go by.
Keep notes and plenty of photos of your conversion. Change of use/insurance may be a problem. (y)

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
The measurements of the insulation in the rear compartment are below. Still to work out the sq footage/metres, not sure how to do it, anyone know?

Left Side Wall - length Top 97"/246cm
Left Side Wall - length Bottom 103"/261cm
Left Side Wall - Height 65"/165cm
Left Side Wall - Depth 5"/13cm

Right Side Wall - length Top 97"/246cm
Right Side Wall - length Bottom 103"/261cm
Right Side Wall - Height 65"/165cm
Right Side Wall - Depth 5"/13cm

End Wall - length Top 56"/127cm
End Wall - length Bottom 61"/155cm
End Wall - Height 65"/165cm
End Wall - Depth 5"/13cm

Ceiling - Length 97"/246cm
Ceiling - Width Front 56"/127cm
Ceiling - Width Back 61"/155cm
Ceiling - Depth 5"/13cm

Floor - Length 103"/261cm
Floor - Width Front 61"/155cm
Floor - Width Back 72"/182cm
Floor - Depth 9"/22cm

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's if you can get the false floor you're stood on out in one piece

This is why I welcome all comments! :clap2:

I Had a close look again at the compartment and I think you might just be right about getting the floor out in one piece. The walls and ceiling will probably be lucky to come out in one piece also, I don't see anywhere that would be the logical place to start to dismantle.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sq feet or sq meters multiply: length x breadth..

for volume in cubic meters or cubic feet.. multiply: length x breadth x height

I would start on the floor.. probably need to saw it out section at a time.. .. once you get started it will become clearer how best to proceed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JW once you rip everything out it leaves you a van (yours looks like a MWB) that is 10ft long from back of drivers seat and at it widest point 5 ft 9 ins wide (bed height)that narrows down to 5 ft ish across the top -if it's a SWB van the length reduces to 8 ft long -Jumbos/lwb are 14 ft long ish -personally I would rip the lot out and start from scratch
terry
FORGOT TO SAY HI ROOF IS JUST OVER 6 FT AND MEDIUM ROOF IS 5FT 7 ISH HIGH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back