Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I'm unsure how to use this feature I have read instructions but very vague. I assume I drive along with the tap open on heat exchanger this then heats up and then warms the heating system. But nothing really happens should I be doing something else ? There is a pump but if I have read instructions correctly that's to warm engine while van is stationery.

Thanks for anybtips hints or suggestionscin advance Paul

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
On mine there was an engine 12 volt pump for use with the heat exchanger as well as the heating pump.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not sure if I am doing it right (Should read the manual :)).... but once engine temp is up I just twist my knob and shortly after all the pipes and radiators start to get hot...

If it get`s too warm/hot inside, I just turn my knob back a bit... (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not sure if I am doing it right (Should read the manual :)).... but once engine temp is up I just twist my knob and shortly after all the pipes and radiators start to get hot...

If it get`s too warm/hot inside, I just turn my knob back a bit... (y)

I wish I had a knob like yours (y):D

got Alde but no link to engine

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I wish I had a knob like yours (y):D

got Alde but no link to engine

Surprised you have not.... I thought they were standard fitting...

Mine is a small one on the right hand side of the steering column..

It`s only small with a red sliding scale stamped on it.. (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
When the engine is warm say 20 miles from your destination, twist your knob and the engine heat will percolate through to the heating water via a heat exchanger, enabling the gas/electrical heater less of a workload to achieve a working temperature.

Alternatively, on cold mornings when the heating has been on for some time switch the pump on to get heating water to the engine via the heat exchanger so that the engine fires up in a warm condition (improving both economy & engine wear).

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Funny you should say that, we do have a switch that I don't really know what it does, got a symbol a bit like a heated rear window symbol and it does seem to make us warmer when I switch it on :)

but really I would rather have a knob to play with :D

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
The 12v pump is only for reverse circulation when stationary and you want to heat the engine from the habitation heating. When you want to heat the habitation from the engine you simply set the desired temp on your Alde control panel but ensure the electric and gas settings are set to off, you should see the circulation symbol on your control panel which means the fluid is circulating so when it passes through your heat exchanger it will heat the habitation. I set this as I set off so as you drive along say for 2 or 3 hours it's gradually heating your habitation area as well as hot water so when you arrive it's all nice and warm.

Hope that explains it but if you need anymore info shout up :)

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Trouble is I have the old slider switch panel I'm thinking trying turning it on but not the gas on way home.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As per my previous post if its the older model there will be a switch on the dash to turn on the engine 12 volt pump. There should be a tap near the heat exchanger so as to be able to turn the engine heat off in warm weather.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You need to turn the pump slider to the first click and set the thermostat so that you get the desired temperature then as long as the heat exchanger is turned on you should be warm.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have Alde heating which has to be switched on and the thermostat set to an appropriate temperature.
Also I have to open the tap on the heat exchanger and there is also an illuminated switch behind the passenger seat which has to be switched on. (may be in a different place depending on what van you have)
I always have the tap on the heat exchanger open because I can't be bothered to turn it off but usually forget to switch one or other of the things on!
When it works though its great to arrive somewhere with hot water and a warm van.

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I have a separate switch for pump up by the control panel this I believe to be for heating engine from hab system.

The heat exchanger is behind the drivers seat it has a tap I assume lever inline with pipework its open. I can't see any other switches elswhere.

I have re read the booklet and the pump is only for heating engine while stationery. It also says the heat exchanger can be used to heat living area without operating hot water heater. And that the heat exchanger is connected to engines cooling system and thus has same function as the vehicle heater.

Heat output is set on living area heater regulator.

So I am pretty sure I had it correct but no heat after 2 hour plus journey.

But I have noticed that tonight the front of van isn't as warm as rear where heater control panel are. So maybe I need to bleed system perhaps evan drain flush and renew fluid. That may be a dealer job but I'll give it a go if I can find the info needed.

This is my control panel I'm thinking on way home to put stat on high gas off and far right switch to top

Attachments

• IMG_20150221_180831.jpg
    IMG_20150221_180831.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 33

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think just first click on the pump slider switch is the correct one and then the thermostat set at your desired temperature.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As per my previous post if its the older model there will be a switch on the dash to turn on the engine 12 volt pump. There should be a tap near the heat exchanger so as to be able to turn the engine heat off in warm weather.
The engine 12volt pump is only to heat the engine via habitation heat, only pump required to heat mabitation from heat exchanger is the Alde habitation heating pump.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The engine 12volt pump is only to heat the engine via habitation heat, only pump required to heat mabitation from heat exchanger is the Alde habitation heating pump.

So how does the water go round the heat exchanger to warm the hab area if there is no pump switched on ?.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So how does the water go round the heat exchanger to warm the hab area if there is no pump switched on ?.

Engine water pump.

The heat exchanger is a stack of metal plates with alternating layers of engine water pushed by the water pump exchanging heat against the habitation water circulated by the Alde pump.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Surely that being the case, the heat exchanger would be hot all the time, defeating the object of being a heat exchanger.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There do appear to be several variants of the controller, we seem to have a different switch to all others on our dash, no knob, no valves, no levers, but I am intrigued by setting temperature on Alde controller with gas and electric turned off to see what happens when engines starts. Not sure I can even turn my electric off, seem to think it only has 1,2 or 3 relating to Kw settings, I can turn whole lot on or off but then presume it will not pick up the fact that the engine is running

The manual is next to useless, possibly because there are too many variants, ours is an 08 built Hymer

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Mines a Burstner Delfin it often says in book things like specification not finalised.

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
HOORAH I have sussed it I just put the right hand slider switch in middle position this keeps heating pump going. Van was super toasty on way home realy made a difference and piping hot water happy days

Bigbthanks for your suggestions we got there

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Mine's like that. Works a treat (y)

Jun 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Joined 2014
This control knob for the heat exchanger can it be moved as I need this space to install rear air suspension dials and switches any help be greatly appreciated

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
This control knob for the heat exchanger can it be moved as I need this space to install rear air suspension dials and switches any help be greatly appreciated
Must be a record..... resurrecting a 4 year old thread ;)

On mine I just switch the heating on, leave both sources (240v and gas) off and drive off. Toasty warm on the arrival. (y)(y)

Alde 3010

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Must be a record..... resurrecting a 4 year old thread ;)

On mine I just switch the heating on, leave both sources (240v and gas) off and drive off. Toasty warm on the arrival. (y)(y)

Alde 3010
That doesn’t answer the question though (y)

@Katies-travels post a picture of what you call the control knob.

Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It can't work like that Dave.
The engine side of the exchanger will get hot from engine coolant but can't transfer heat to the hab area if the hab area fluid isn't circulating through the hab side of the exchanger.
That's like turning the boiler on at home but turning the circulating pump off, the boilers hot but the radiators are cold.
The 12v pump is to circulate cold engine coolant through the engine side of the exchanger to take heat from the hab area heating to warm a cold engine before starting.

Bugger..... Checked the date of the post but not the YEAR

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It can't work like that Dave.
The engine side of the exchanger will get hot from engine coolant but can't transfer heat to the hab area if the hab area fluid isn't circulating through the hab side of the exchanger.
That's like turning the boiler on at home but turning the circulating pump off, the boilers hot but the radiators are cold.
The 12v pump is to circulate cold engine coolant through the engine side of the exchanger to take heat from the hab area heating to warm a cold engine before starting.

Bugger..... Checked the date of the post but not the YEAR
Exactly what I do as above. And I did check the year.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back