LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Can anyone recommend a cleaner that removes the usual black/streaky stains that you get down the sides of a rig ?

And one that will not remove the paint or polish, if there is such a thing. :Sad:

Thankyou.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
We use Thetford's Black Streak & Bug Remover, although I am sure others will be along with a multitude of alternative solutions.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use children and Mer::bigsmile: Big tip though, the cleaner the roof the less black streaks you will see. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I am very interested in the suggestions, I have used baby wipes which seem to remove them as long as they haven't been there for a long while but they don't touch the stubborn ones.

Someone told me that he thought they were from the atmospheric pollution from planes etc. and that most engine degreasers would shift the streaks but I have never had the nerve to use it just in case it takes the gel-coat off with it, if any of you have used it I would be interested in the results.

Thanks for the suggestions so far

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: cheap & easy,bleach watered down to 4 parts water in a garden spray.Spray on,use a sweeping brush or extendible brush, rinse with hose :thumb:less than five mins per side :thumb::ROFLMAO: Allow a bit more if a big RV :ROFLMAO:
terry

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone recommend a cleaner that removes the usual black/streaky stains that you get down the sides of a rig ?

And one that will not remove the paint or polish, if there is such a thing. :Sad:

Thankyou.

The best remover we have found is called "Elbow Grease". It is a solvent free all purpose degreaser and it shifts everything!! We use it on the cooker, shower, windows, paintwork etc etc, You just spray it on the streaky stains and then wipe it off. It is only £1. per bottle so it not only does the job but is cheap as well.

Ginny and Mike

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I did read a thread about this particular issue and the cheap bug cleaner from Lidle came out tops.

I have not used it yet ;but will definately give it a go ::bigsmile:

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
black marks

Hi all i find the best way to remove black marks is to use wd40 on a clean cotton cloth removes all black streaks also around the rubbers on the windows etc stops the windows sticking to the rubber and it wont take the polish off like some black streaky removers i have used this for years without any problems hope you will find this of some help to you tony

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I use children and Mer::bigsmile: Big tip though, the cleaner the roof the less black streaks you will see. :thumb:

The problem is getting the kids to stay up there long enough to get the whole roof clean and without them falling off.:ROFLMAO:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Furniture Polish aerosol spray is very good.

Phil.

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Mo

We find that the front of the 5ver is a problem area for black streaks.

Best thing we've found is Fenwicks motorhome cleaner. Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler works well when you add it to the rinse water. It makes cleaning black streaks the next time much easier. :thumb:

We've thought of trying some gutter extensions but haven't got round to it yet.

Gill

PS One place you can get Fenwicks is Halfords

Last edited:

joan

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I have tried Muck Off and it works a treat. No more black marks and it was easy to use. Spray on wet surface agitate then rinse off nice and clean :thumb:

Joan

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi all i find the best way to remove black marks is to use wd40 on a clean cotton cloth removes all black streaks also around the rubbers on the windows etc stops the windows sticking to the rubber and it wont take the polish off like some black streaky removers i have used this for years without any problems hope you will find this of some help to you tony

Hi Tony.
Although I know thta WD40 does remove black streaks, it also interferes with the sealents used on most motorhomes. When I have uesd sealents to do various jobs the only way I have been able to sort out bits of a mess is to use wd 40. Therefore I would assume that this may be detremental to a motorhome.

I personaly use fenwicks. It,s ace. Does just the job, spray it on with a spray gun, drop a bit in the water and use a brush out the bucket. then simply rinse off. works everytime. I then give a coat of fenwicks polish mixed with a little bit of mer for a good polish.
excelent result, although fenwicks is getting dearer everytime i buy it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just out of interest......why dont the manufacturers use WHITE sealer around the windows and door on eurovans.
it only seems to appear under the windows.

it appears to be the black sealer that causes the dreaded black streaks.:Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John I used white sealer only on the van :thumb: and black only around the windows,:Doh: still get black streaks above the windows:ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Mo

We find that the front of the 5ver is a problem area for black streaks.

Best thing we've found is Fenwicks motorhome cleaner. Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler works well when you add it to the rinse water. It makes cleaning black streaks the next time much easier. :thumb:

We've thought of trying some gutter extensions but haven't got round to it yet.

Gill

PS One place you can get Fenwicks is Halfords

Thanks "Gill",, will go down and get some tomorrow,, and that will give her in doors summat to do when it stops raining.. :winky:

I am getting it on the front and just below where the sticky out bits are from the roof, the sticky out bits are like a gutter but do not stick out far enough on the front and rear.

And thanks for all the other suggestions much appreciated. :thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
STARDROPS, cheap from some supermarkets, use neat to remove the stubborn ones. ::bigsmile:

Have used it from new on my M/H and it still comes up like new, and it's kind to your hands. :thumb: I always carry a bottle with me.

Dreamchaserrv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
If anybody is in Spain. At any MERCADONA supermarket they sell a kitchen degreaser called Marsela 2.5 Euros a bottle, waterdown 2:1. Wipes off any black streaks in one wipe. Easiest cleaner I'v ever used.:thumb:

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
We use Lidl W5 bathroom moouse....spray on..leave a few minutes then wash off with brush etc ::bigsmile: removes the black streaks easily.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back