A Bed Quandary. (Looking For Advice) (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Up until this year, we have slept on the luton, (coach-built Hymer), but now, after the operation, that will have to change :( No way can I manoeuvre like an expectant seal up a ladder any more. And so, got to thinking about using the 'U' lounge at the back as our main bed. OK, certain social restrictions, and even with the topper in place, the different cushions, plus utilising the table as part of the bed base, is not as comfortable as the luton with the topper. I would design and build a permanent bed, but occasional access to the fresh water tank and pump(s) on one side, and the water heater/drain down tap on the other, means that somehow this need must be taken into consideration. Any ideas? There is no access from the outside to these compartments. :)
Ta
Dave.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's surprisingly easy when you get over the initial shock of hacking at your pride and joy.

But Terry is Your Man to advise on easily moveable beds. He could put a double bed in a telephone box.

The one thing not to do is go over the top on timber sizes and make it all too heavy.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Up until this year, we have slept on the luton, (coach-built Hymer), but now, after the operation, that will have to change :( No way can I manoeuvre like an expectant seal up a ladder any more. And so, got to thinking about using the 'U' lounge at the back as our main bed. OK, certain social restrictions, and even with the topper in place, the different cushions, plus utilising the table as part of the bed base, is not as comfortable as the luton with the topper. I would design and build a permanent bed, but occasional access to the fresh water tank and pump(s) on one side, and the water heater/drain down tap on the other, means that somehow this need must be taken into consideration. Any ideas? There is no access from the outside to these compartments. :)
Ta
Dave.
We converted our U Shaped lounge to a permanent bed, simply by removing the cushions and replacing them with a mattress we bought in Ikea - it was fairly inexpensive, gives a great nights sleep as its a proper mattress rather than just a topper, plus because its memory foam rather than springs, it rolls up for access to the under bed cupboard when needed.
Hope this helps

Robert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We converted our U Shaped lounge to a permanent bed, simply by removing the cushions and replacing them with a mattress we bought in Ikea - it was fairly inexpensive, gives a great nights sleep as its a proper mattress rather than just a topper, plus because its memory foam rather than springs, it rolls up for access to the under bed cupboard when needed.
Hope this helps

Robert
Thanks Robert. This is something we considered. Did you utilise the table, (as per the original bed set up), or box the space in??

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks Robert. This is something we considered. Did you utilise the table, (as per the original bed set up), or box the space in??
Our lounge had a free standing table that didn't form part of the bed setup, there are pull out slats that support the bed. Using a fixed mattress rather than the cushions gives a far superior bed.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Ta
Dave.
We have always avoided vans with beds over a garage purely because of the entry/egress issues but I love that phrase "..manoeuvre like an expectant seal up a ladder" absolutely fantastic image! Just what I wanted to avoid!

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our lounge had a free standing table that didn't form part of the bed setup, there are pull out slats that support the bed. Using a fixed mattress rather than the cushions gives a far superior bed.
Agreed, and thank you. Our (much older) design means using the rear lounge table, supported on on two metal tubes, to make up the bed centre, something I would be more then happy in ditching.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have always avoided vans with beds over a garage purely because of the entry/egress issues but I love that phrase "..manoeuvre like an expectant seal up a ladder" absolutely fantastic image! Just what I wanted to avoid!
Ahhhhhh, finance dictated an older van, but still much loved. :) You think the seal is bad?? You should see it shoving the elephant in front up that same ladder at bedtime!! :)

Pete&Sara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012
After a couple of years with the u shaped lounge set up we changed our MH for one with an island bed so proper mattress and we use a topper as it stays on the bed no need to store it.... recommend island beds !

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!lcFCew-JP,lBQqkj4ToR!~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqF,!lcFCew-JP,lBQqkj4ToR!~~60_57.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 31
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
After a couple of years with the u shaped lounge set up we changed our MH for one with an island bed so proper mattress and we use a topper as it stays on the bed no need to store it.... recommend island beds !
We wanted an island bed, but couldn't find one with enough headroom to enable you to sit up in bed and have a cup of tea.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Tootles, I think your problem has two components, the base and the top.

I'd get rid of the table and make some sort of sliding pull together frame which sits on the existing base (designed somehow to still give access when required).

Vantage motorhomes convert PV they use a really good comblike ply board bed base. No slats just two boards which slide in and out. I'll look for pictures in a mo.

Mattress wise, definitely ikea, you can try them out they are good quality and the price varies. I wonder if 2 singles pushed together (or not) would make access easier?

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tootles, I think your problem has two components, the base and the top.

I'd get rid of the table and make some sort of sliding pull together frame which sits on the existing base (designed somehow to still give access when required).

Vantage motorhomes convert PV they use a really good comblike ply board bed base. No slats just two boards which slide in and out. I'll look for pictures in a mo.

Mattress wise, definitely ikea, you can try them out they are good quality and the price varies. I wonder if 2 singles pushed together (or not) would make access easier?
Thanks Mousy!! A rodent after my very self!! :):)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Is there anyway you could make hatches to get into the new underbed space? That would solve the access problem.

Depending on how much room you have you may even decide to take out the rear lounge and put in an island bed :) In for a penny and all that.

Another idea might be to ditch the table (if possible) and put in the extendable slats, I'm sure you would be able to get something that will do the job (IKEA?) I'd also be looking for a mattress that would roll up and store under the seats during the day and seat cushions that store during the night. Go for two single mattresses ? Just a few random thoughts as without seeing the setup it's a bit difficult to give advice.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Tootles, as a lot of people have said, have a word with Terry ... I have to speak to him on the phone tonight re an e bay item, as he is away from home all day today, would you like me to mention it to him? He can sort all those problems out for you no probs.

PS you don't need to have an op to not be able to leap up and down ladders!! Why do you think I got a fixed bed... :)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Ahhhhhh, finance dictated an older van, but still much loved. :) You think the seal is bad?? You should see it shoving the elephant in front up that same ladder at bedtime!! :)

Oh you bad, bad man Holmes...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back