Problems with Bailey approach motor home. (1 Viewer)

T & J

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
We're newbies!
Hi all.

Really new to this motor home business and might add our enthusiasm is badly dented. Please see copy email i sent to dealer today. Anyone else suffering from the same problems. Advice eagerley accepted. Cant believe the amount of problems we have had or that it can be just my vehicle? Bailey approach, lounge end vehicle with drop down electric bed.

Regards to all.

Tony

Hi Richard.

Thanks for email, and not least chat on the phone. Firstly, apologies for the tone of my email. Too say I was furious with additional faults is an under statement. Having said that, emails of the tone I sent are never thee right way to secure assistance in resolving these problems. Once again, apologies.

Anyhow. You may (or may not) be aware of thee problems we had had with this camper van since purchase. We have in fact hardly used it, four times I think. The difficulty I have, and really struggle with, is that every time we have used it something breaks, something does not work and is disappointing to say the least. Circa 50k for this vehicle and to be brutally honest, based on its performance thus far, we are bitterly disappointed with it. Do we have confidence to go off to France/Spain in this vehicle for three or four weeks? No!! Not at all! We have no confidence in this vehicle at all and do now wonder if this was a major mistake and frankly we should have bought from another manufacturer. Truth is we are so disappointed in it, have no confidence in it and are frankly even at this early stage looking at other options. Having said all off that I know full well you guys don’t make them, and dare I say just sell them. Do PLEASE pass my email to Bailey to their MD so that he/she is aware of the level of dissapointmmentt/dissatissfaction. If I was MD of any firm I would be shocked, disappointed and more to hear of any customer having faults the type we have encountered. many of them are minor, niggling matters that should and could easily be (With a good in-house manufacturers quality check system) be avoided. fact!

Problems thus far

1 Plug socket outside wall. This broke on the very first day the vehicle was used. replaced.

2 Trim kept falling out above cupboards in rear, now seemingly resolved.

3 Collapsing bed. It seems that when furniture etc was fitted in rear, the set up cupboards/seats etc had not been set up adjusted properly. Accordingly the bed kept falling to bits. Typical, but this was the first weekend we used the vehicle. We were away from home (of course) had to go out buy a saw, sheet of ply wood and make a temporary lash up repair. This has now been repaired.

4 Jammed man hole cover floor hatch. The hatch cover over the fresh water in the corridor swollen up so tight we could not get it out. This has now been resolved

5 Loose window frame by the sink area had not been fixed properly. Screws were loose. Now resolved

6 Leaking shower. Water was running out from under shower in to corridor soaking carpets etc. Now resolved

7 Faulty door lock, main side door was constantly jamming, not locking, not opening and generally playing up. No resolved

8 Broken light switch, pull cord switch in bathroom...just stopped working with all the inconvenience with this.

9 Chain on plug on fresh water snapped. Think it was the fresh water tank, Annoying...now resolved.

10 Jamming electric bed, did not locate into position properly. Now resolved

11 Front blinds and one of side blinds clips kept coming off. Now resolved.

12 Laminate trim came off by rear step/ bed area. now glued down and resolved

The above is a list of past problems. Too be frank those are what I can even recall, it may be that your own service people have a more comprehensive list. Many of these points are just minor...niggling faults butt coupled with more major issues of the door, bed leaking shower etc are nothing short of infuriating.

Current problems....arose last weekend to be resolved.

13 The catch on the cover over the fresh water tank in corridor has broken. It may be (Who knows) that this became damaged when it was jammed solid and had to be repaired a few weeks ago. At any rate need a new catch. Annoying part of this, is that when we got to site last week, the plug was not in the tank and we could not access it to resolve the problem. Bloody annoying. On its own, lets be frank no major deal butt coupled with all the other items is just so infuriating.

14 Front fallen off fridge door, trim and side edging come adrift. Again, no major deal but yet again infuriating.

15 Broken trim on floor. This was identified last time vehicle came in for repair. Your service guys were not sure as it is on the edge of the cab, whether this is a bailey problem or front end of truck problem...if you know what I mean.

16 Small dining table has been since day one not level. This has been identified before but in the scheme of all other repairs seems to have been over looked by both your service guys and I quickly and us. Nott shockingly bad but not right either.

17 We have one light that has never worked since thee day we took the vehicle. It may be that we just cant find a light switch (So many of them) but ait any rate it does not work.

18 Whilst the wardrobe door was aligned seemingly fine the door now seems to be warping. Not bad, not bad as yet but the door is moving. Is this likely to get worse. the vehicle is stored under cover and probably the best driest area a vehicle could bee kept in.

19 Seems to be a patch under edge of floor as cab adjoins floor that seems to be soft. Not sure what the issue is, indeed if there is an issue but requires investigation.

20 Heating. Not sure if it is possible to balance heating better. Rear is swelteringly hot whilst front end can bee chilly. Is it possible to balance heating?

21 Patch under floor between rear and cab... Unsure who is responsible

22 Subjective but I challenge anyone to get a comfortable nights sleep?

23 Rear boot Lid. Whilst there is not a fault as such this is a very poor opening locking mechanism. Push buttons in and rely on thee switches to open. This may work this may not work at any rate it is an amateurish lash up mechanisms'. This really needs buttons or something to enable the operator to pull open the door when buttons have been pushed in. Lash up!

24 Subjective but, despite fitting £400 worth of the best quality mattress toppers available I challenge anyone to get a good nights sleep in rear of this vehicle on main large bed. The most awful nights sleep I have ever had.

Richard, after all my whinging I might add all your service guys have been great, helpful, polite and as good as they get. If the truth is known I think they are a bit embarrassed about the faults we have had thus far. But, certainly no complaints about your guys. Once again, do please forward my list of issues to the MD of Bailey, he or she should know what's going on. Would I recommend to any one they buy this vehicle? Not in my wildest dreams. If I even dreamt of recommending this vehicle, id wake up and apologise. I run a business myself with a multi million pound turnover. Im many things, im not stupid. I know snagging problems come up, I know things go wrong, but dear oh dear this has been an awful customer experience thus far.

Richard, give me a call with a view to getting this vehicle in ASAP for repairs.

regards.

Tony

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Sorry to hear about all your faults we have a 2014 Approach Autograph and the only problem we have had was a leak from the shower where a bit of sealant had been missed where the shower screen attaches to the tray - this was repaired within 3 days of our asking.

This kind of thing happens across all makes of caravan & motorhome but it's no excuse - ask your dealer about rejecting the MH, it happens in the car industry, and see what he says. Tell him you are part of a forum because I am sure the dealer and/or Bailey won't want the bad press.

Let us know how you get on

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Another thought. Ask for compensation for time/fuel/inconvenience for all the return trips. Are you far from the dealer?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T & J

T & J

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
We're newbies!
Truth is, live five mins away from the dealer. In their defence no argument repairs as needed. But, im now down 50k, and have no confidence in being able to go away for a few weeks in this vehicle (the reason i bought it) and use it for the purpose its meant to be used for. Frankly, we hate it, its a worthless pile of scrap!

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi .. really sorry to hear of your issues .. it must be sickening when you spend 50k and it's not 'perfect' ..
but very few are perfect from the factory.. you often hear of problems , most have teething issues.. doesn't make it right or make you feel better.. but you are not alone.. take some comfort from that.

It looks like a long list, and it is.. but as you admit, none are 'major deals' mostly niggles that are not mission critical..
let your dealer sort them out, then go on your holiday.. you will feel a lot better when you have had a break ..

good luck and keep us informed of progress

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We met a chap last year in Cumbria, (CC site), who had owned his from new, it was six months old. He gave me a list of faults, mostly leaks, but also things like unable to fill water tank, the computer wouldn't let him do it????? And a mattress that acted like blotting paper, and soaked up water like a sponge. Also, many leaks, in the shower, under the shower, from the windows etc. His main gripe was the noise when moving, creaks, groans, as though the whole thing was moving within itself. He was getting shut ASP at that time, even though it meant him taking a huge loss.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T & J

T & J

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
We're newbies!
Well truth is that's where i am. Wanting to get shut, as you say despite having to take a massive hit. Just been in touch with my legals to see what the costs are likley to be with rejecting this vehicle. Frankly, it's a worthless useless pile of hideous crap! Going to N.E.C. show this weekend to see what else tickles our fancy. Mind you at the minute i'm 50k down! Don't get me wrong, i know things go wrong but, this is ridiculous!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well truth is that's where i am. Wanting to get shut, as you say despite having to take a massive hit. Just been in touch with my legals to see what the costs are likley to be with rejecting this vehicle. Frankly, it's a worthless useless pile of hideous crap! Going to N.E.C. show this weekend to see what else tickles our fancy. Mind you at the minute i'm 50k down! Don't get me wrong, i know things go wrong but, this is ridiculous!
Take a trip to Dusseldorf best Motorhome show in Europe (you won't find hardly any UK vans there).

Sorry to hear of all your problems and hope you get it resolved.
When you look at all the kit Bailey throw in for only 50k something got to give somewhere obviously in this case the quality.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T & J

T & J

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
We're newbies!
The general van is fine. The drive part (truck on the front) is perfect.....in fact faultless. The build quality of the rear (Err, baileys end) end is a pile of scrap. Build quality is just awful.....awful! Bitter regrets.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
MI have been where you are, I doubt you will ever now like or possibly even tolerate the MH, you have no choice but to move it on

Being positive, you are nowhere near £50K down, you will take a hit, but I would hope a trade in figure will be above £40K, so although hardly a good result, what price your sanity, TBH even if you had loved the MH and decided to sell to change the price would be the same

When you analyse your own list, some are as you say are subjective, quite a few a fairly low level issues, but the problem is you now have no confidence in it or the dealer by the sound of it

I do wish you luck

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sorry to hear about your problems but not an unusual story nowadays. Personally I'd get rid of it soon as, take the loss and look for something better Bailey not exactly renowned for quality products.
The very same reason we sold our nearly new van 5 years ago and bought a 8 year old Hymer now nearly 13 and still perfect.
The build quality of most vans post 2005 is crap imo and the reason older vans especially German builds are in such high demand.
Cut your losses and start again but dont buy British.
Good luck (y)(y)

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I feel for you.
I have only been in one Bailey(Scousebird's) & must say I was imppresed.
Why not contact Bailey direct.
Hope you find a solution soon.

Mel

Upvote 0

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Sorry to hear about your problems but not an unusual story nowadays. Personally I'd get rid of it soon as, take the loss and look for something better Bailey not exactly renowned for quality products.
The very same reason we sold our nearly new van 5 years ago and bought a 8 year old Hymer now nearly 13 and still perfect.
The build quality of most vans post 2005 is crap imo and the reason older vans especially German builds are in such high demand.
Cut your losses and start again but dont buy British.
Good luck (y)(y)
Just about sum,s it up 40 od years of c/vans & m/homes my last c/van was a hymer and never had a problem then changed to m/home feb 09 tried a/trail and gave up on that after a year,we now have a 6/7year old hobby and can honestly say we have not had anything to complain about.
All the best think about buying German.JohnM.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for the warning. We were looking at the Bailey 750 but don't think we will bother now, your fault list is awful but I wonder if its a regular occurrence or you have just been unlucky. You always hear of the bad and never the good. Hope you can put this experience behind you, and enjoy your next MH

Upvote 0

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
We've got a 2014 Bailey approach, had a few silly niggles but l expected that, dealer sorted it,but on the whole happy with it, if your that unhappy with it thought the best course of action was give the dealer a chance to rectify it, if he doesn't sort it, reject it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T & J

T & J

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
We're newbies!
Well, some of the problems are minor, accept that full well. However, let's look at what a camper van should do.
1. Should be able to sleep in it. Our bed collapsed and had to go out buy ply wood and lash it up. Repaired after two attempts. Now, whilst I'm confident bed is ok, wife is not (know what I'm saying here folks!!!) LOLFor christ sake, one of the most basic things is the bed!!
2. Light switch buggered in wash room. No light.... Need I say any mor?
3. Shower leaking, carpets drenched.... Err... Can't wash!
4. Side door, locked is in, locked us out?! Safe? Dangerous.... Err, apart from climbing through can.... Could not get in!
5. Electric bed would not locate properley..... Not possible to use the additional bed.(what is the point of buying this truck I'm asking myself?)

Loads of minor point, truth is, so many I can't recall them all.

Pretty much decided, sell it, get what I can for it. We had wanted (don't we all) a brand new unused truck. I can see now I can't afford a brand new truck of quality I'm wanting. Had I have known about the crap with this one, I'd have found the extra money to buy a better quality vehicle in the first place. Now thinking sell this one, if need be add some money to it, and just buy maybe a brewer quality second hand vehicle.

You know, I know things go wrong, I've been in business more years than I should say. Things go wrong. But, if I'm selling a 50k product Id be busting my ass to make sure the customer is happy with quality of what the get. Terribly disappointed.

Now, having waffled on, chances are I'm looking to buy another. (This hideous pile of scrap has to go) really (really) top budget wants to come in 50k and think a good quality second hand truck might suit my budget better. Really, only two of us ever I it, nice bed (think we would prefer fixed bed) best size bathroom we can get, half reasonable seating eating area.... That's it. Ideas please folks?

PS.
Vital wife is confident bed will not collapse..... Know what I'm sayin? LOL!

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
We have a 2012 Bailey Approach SE which we bought in September. Just about to have a solar panel and second battery fitted. Have been away twice so far and (touch wood) no problems at all...guess the first owner must have sorted any niggles if there were any. I'm so sorry you you're unhappy with yours.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm pretty sure the laws that allow you to reject a car having established it is a lemon apply to MH as well. If that's the case you aren't a penny down. The way you feel about it you need to drop it off at the dealers with the rejection letter. As you say, you have legal representation so I would get shot of it back to Bailey for a full refund.

Upvote 0

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Funnily enough l said we'd never buy new, after all the posts on here about the sh*t peeps had gone through with new vehicles from all different manufacturers, but yours as lots of snags which would make anyone pissed off, but now you lost faith in it best to get shot.
Good luck with your next one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T & J

T & J

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
We're newbies!
Well, got my legals on to it today. I'll see what happens but either way it has to go. I hate it with a passion I can't even begin to describe! If I have to take a hit on the money, Sobeit. Either way...... It's going!
PS
I know some bloke who has a perfect, fantastic motor home for sale. One owner, show room condition. TV, tow bar (tow bar never used) top loading luggage box (never used) cycle rack. FANTASTIC opportunity for some lucky person who is looking to buy a worthless pile of scrap! Offers please?

Upvote 0

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Thanks for the warning. We were looking at the Bailey 750 but don't think we will bother now, your fault list is awful but I wonder if its a regular occurrence or you have just been unlucky. You always hear of the bad and never the good. Hope you can put this experience behind you, and enjoy your next MH
Sandra dont buy British just dont do it.
Best wishes John&Joyce

Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
So sorry to read about your problems BUT they have made us appreciate our Rimor (touch wood) more as we've had only a couple of problems all of them very minor

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Some contact details
Sales Enquiries
E-mail address: marketing@baileyofbristol.co.uk

• Request a brochure

• Find your local Bailey Retailer

• Join the e-mail subscription list

Customer Service Enquiries
E-mail address: customerservices@baileyofbristol.co.uk

Whilst a customer's first point of contact should be their supplying retailer, Bailey provides additional assistance for existing customers covering all aspects of ownership to ensure they enjoy the best possible service from their caravan or motorhome

Please remember to quote the name and serial number of your vehicle plus your supplying retailer in all enquiries.

Information on Bailey Manufacturers Warranty

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Hi T & J sorry to read of your troubles. We have recently purchased our first motorhome. We purchased a brand new caravan back in the 80's and had no end of problems with it. It served us well for 5 or 6 years when we sold it and paid off the mortgage. Kids grew up, so we started flying for holidays. Lately have retired and bought a boat.. the term is Bring Out Another Thousand, wife hated water so sold that, I still want/need to travel (Ex RN and HGV driver) so bought a motorhome. We looked at new and couldn't find one we really liked or trusted build quality. Just the 2 of us so looked at previously owned, Bought an Autocruise Wentworth, 2005, fitted alarm, reverse camera (not working) top box,solar panel, etc etc for £20,000. Have had a few things sorted out,, and added some others but very happy with van. Had a habitation check carried out and the guy was impressed with the dryness and fittings. We have not used it too much,, about 4 weeks away and a few weekends but booked for a week on the coast April and 8 weeks France/Spain in May with no fears for failure. If it does though I will get is sorted. I feel you pain in spending all that cash on something that does not meet your expectations. I would certainly work with the dealer to get all things fixed and try to get assurance from them that there are no more major problems. They are supposed to PDI the van to have none of these niggles. I used to sell Benimars from here in Beeston Nottingham and often wonder how the vans I sold are doing. We found the odd problems at PDI stage but they were soon rectified. But, as has been stated previously, the build quality has deteriorated over the years.
Hope you get this resolved. Please keep the forum updated with progress.
Robert

Upvote 0

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
i have had my bailey 745se from new 2013 bought from becks we had a couple of very minor issues but the van is excellant as for people telling everyone not to buy british is possibbly why this country is in the mess its in
i am sorry to hear of your problems but some times things go wrong hope you get it sorted but as i said my bailey is first class could of possibbly got better but not for the price they are as they are based on the starter market and priced acordingly inexpencive to sell obvisly with this in mind the build quality might suffer a little
as i say my van is perfect and good value for money:)(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
It's odd isn't it how two vans built by the same people in the same factory with the same components can be so different.

We had two new Approaches last year, a 625 then a bigger 745. Apart from the most minor of niggles, all of which were sorted by Cotswold Edge with little or no inconvenience to us I can honestly say the build quality was excellent, especially for the prices paid. The Alde heating was wonderful, the base vehicles excellent and all the bits worked exactly as they should. Yet despite this, factories can and do turn out duck eggs on occasion. I don't know why or how this happens, but I can only speak as I found.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hmm..yes indeedy. get it sorted and get shot or PX and try and minimise your loss OR try and learn to love it again IF you get it fixed. dont underestimate the dealer responsability you haved your contract with him :(

as others said, its no guarantee of a perfect, problem free van but buying German goes a hell of a long way towards it! Makes far more sense

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think people get too worked up about minor faults personally.

I know I will get killed now for putting up with poor workmanship, but excuse me for responding that life is too flipping short to get all het up over little things.

Upvote 0

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
My goodness what a lot of problems, I really feel for you. We bought a new Hobby last year for just less than your's and touch wood it has been fault free,( apart from one minor fault that we fixed over the phone with a mechanic on the other end. ( Unscrew this panel, unplug the unit, plug it back in!!) ).
Really hope you get a good response from Bailey. We had a really good look at those as well and in the end decided for a German build. The bailey looked a bit low for my liking and we didn't like the way the water was filled, but they certainly looked an OK build on the ones we saw.
You really can't tell.
Here's hoping for some good news
LC

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back