Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Having been full timing in our coach built 7 meter MH for the last year and a bit we are completely decided that this is the life for us and will never go back to living in a house.

So we are now giving very serious consideration to upgrading to a RV and may have even found one. It's a Damon Daybreak with super slide, 10 years old and 17,000 on the clock. Its a petrol engine but the dealer can do the LPG conversion.

I thought the hardest decision I ever had to make was wether to pack up the house and go full time or not. But this, I must admit, is coming in at a pretty close second in hardness.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A years not that long, still in the honeymoon period:)
You never know what's in the future and bricks and mortar are a safe investment these days for your money. Downsize to a flat by all means and get an income by renting it out...but cutting the umbilical cord completely is a brave step......some might say foolish.

As for an RV to be honest I'm not impressed.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Cannot beat an RV for full timing.. (y)

Just need to do a bit of forwards planning..

There are a lot that do it.. (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't feel I can offer opinions on how others should run their lives, running mine is more than enough for me!

I considered an RV some time ago having been living fulltime in a self build panel van for many years but in the end decided the restrictions the increased size created weren't worth it just to have more space.

In hindsight I am very glad I didn't "upgrade"... (but I do mostly live on my own).

JJ :cool:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
looking forward to meeting up again and seeing you in a new home then..:)
go for it m'dears, you're good at forward planning so it should be no big deal..(y)

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
looking forward to meeting up again and seeing you in a new home then..:)
go for it m'dears, you're good at forward planning so it should be no big deal..(y)

Cheers Dryad. Were very much looking forward to meeting up with you all again as well.

Its not a done deal yet but very very likely. Were going to look at it in much more detail on Saturday morning (providing they still have it :() and see what they will give me for my current MH

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Cheers Dryad. Were very much looking forward to meeting up with you all again as well.

Its not a done deal yet but very very likely. Were going to look at it in much more detail on Saturday morning (providing they still have it :() and see what they will give me for my current MH

Good luck with it and if it's not there on Saturday there is a better one for you somewhere else!

Kath

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But this, I must admit, is coming in at a pretty close second in hardness.

Well you know that you will be limiting yourselves where you can go and park and it will cost a fortune to get there.

So what will you gain, that is the question.

graham&shirley

Free Member
Jul 1, 2014
Preston lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Have LPG it will save you a lot in the end. We are in a Damon Challenger and love it we only have the one slide and manage fine. Really make the dealer show you everything even how to pull out the awning (it may have a rip)
Check inside the bedroom lockers for any damp, pull out the mattress to see for damp. Make sure the fridge freezer is working get them to remove the outside cover to the fridge and make sure you have no yellow staining as this can be very expensive. Also if it has not been used much brakes could be a concern.
Good luck (y)

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Have LPG it will save you a lot in the end. We are in a Damon Challenger and love it we only have the one slide and manage fine. Really make the dealer show you everything even how to pull out the awning (it may have a rip)
Check inside the bedroom lockers for any damp, pull out the mattress to see for damp. Make sure the fridge freezer is working get them to remove the outside cover to the fridge and make sure you have no yellow staining as this can be very expensive. Also if it has not been used much brakes could be a concern.
Good luck (y)

Better still try and get an RV owner to accompany you to have a look at this RV with you.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Well you know that you will be limiting yourselves where you can go and park and it will cost a fortune to get there.

So what will you gain, that is the question.

Considerably more living space is the main thing. We have been travelling for over a year now and thinking back there were only a few places where we couldn't have gone.

On reflection because we live full time in ours the benefits are outweighing the cons quite well.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
http://www.justrvs.co.uk/previously-sold-stock/damon-daybreak-3062w-diesel-super-slide.html

Same or similar to this?
Looks roomy and kitchen fittings love good quality.
I'd only say look at a few RVs if you can but I'm a believer in going for it--if you're happy with full timing what's to lose? I only did 9 months f/t , then 3 months back in house, then a year f/t and I loved it. Could happily have done longer, and I was on my own with 4 animals.

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
http://www.justrvs.co.uk/previously-sold-stock/damon-daybreak-3062w-diesel-super-slide.html

Same or similar to this?
Looks roomy and kitchen fittings love good quality.
I'd only say look at a few RVs if you can but I'm a believer in going for it--if you're happy with full timing what's to lose? I only did 9 months f/t , then 3 months back in house, then a year f/t and I loved it. Could happily have done longer, and I was on my own with 4 animals.

Yes very similar.

The boss has not been to see it yet but me and her son just know she will fall in love with it. Well she already has from the pics but will do so even more lol

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We had a 2005 Damon with superslide with Chevy diesel. Brilliant van super reliable travelled all over UK Europe and Morocco in it with a motorbike on the back. Spares were easy to get and cheap as was servicing. Journeys took a bit more planning than in our Hymer as did finding campsites but for fulltiming perfect I would think.
Check the overhead cab lockers for signs of wet as the front cap seals can leak likewise the rear one and side locker seals let rain in when worn.
Good old van in my opinion the last of the better made vans as the later ones are now where near the same build quality.
Good luck.(y);)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
?????????

I understood from the OP that they have been full timing for a year and have "completely decided" it is what they want to do...

When we had a house is Spain we had 5 lots of friends sell up and move to Spain. It seemed ideal at first, but only one couple stayed put. The others moved back to UK. All I am saying is try it first, then if it doesnt work out you have backup.
Phil

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When we had a house is Spain we had 5 lots of friends sell up and move to Spain. It seemed ideal at first, but only one couple stayed put. The others moved back to UK. All I am saying is try it first, then if it doesnt work out you have backup.
Phil

And all I am saying is they have tried it first...

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
One just needs somewhere to eat, sleep etc. We've had numerous houses over the years which have been used for the same essentials. The space actually used has been the same as in a MH. Usually sitting in the same chair, at the same table, and sleeping in the same bed, with the extras such as accumulating loads of junk that never gets used, but a lot of which gets dumped when you move. And, in UK anyway, all the huge outgoings just for it all existing, whether lived in or not... wasted. When I/we pop our clogs I/we'll do it in the same manner as if I/we lived in a house. Looking back at the past, all the houses we've had have been more of a £££liability than anything else. Ok, we've since acquired a couple of houses, and land, for sensible french prices, the annual outgoings for which are less than the road-tax for 2 vehicles in UK, more to stop us spending all our savings, as well as to have somewhere to put up visiting offspring & their families when they visit (MH wouldn't be big enough) than to have somewhere to 'bolt' back to ... each to his own :)

OP
OP
phodetheus

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Took the boss to see it yesterday and as suspected she loved it, a lot, an awful lot.

Sooooooo yes deposit paid and take delivery around the 15th March, will ring me to confirm as having the petrol engine converted to lpg and needs to get that booked in with their workshop.

Ann is very very excited (yeah so am I)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back