Study re: new Motorway East of Rouen (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

This little article has just dropped into my Email box courtesy of the 'Les Routiers' (Routiers.com)website.

Whilst I appreciate that we are only talking 'studies' here , I take it that our cousins across the water won't be stopped by someone discovering the; 'lesser/larger/spotted/unspotted/hairy/smooth (cross out all that do not apply) treefrog or similar.

Sorry for the bold print . It's something this computer bursts into.

The Rouen OTT east to study
The state has given the green light to the initiation of studies for the construction of the motorway bypass Rouen in the east. The project, expected for more than 40 years, would cost 1 billion euros. However, it would have the advantage of improving local trade by road and bridges relieve Rouen which handles 6,000 lorries every day. - FG

Regards

Reproduction authorized with mention Routiers.com

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sorry to sound mean to Rouen but bypassing it is the best thing to do.
Towns a nightmare to get through and having narrowly ( thank God for my spot on brakes) avoided being written off in my car by a speeding driver I tried never to go there again.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
But surely the only reason it has so many lorries is because the motorway to Rouen is free, spend a billion on a new road and I cant see it staying free for long, so it will become yet another French motorway with very little traffic, although I guess they will put weight limits to make the lorries and some of us use them

with sensible route planning to avoid peak times we have never had a problem with Rouen, always use the road to the east through Pont de L'Arche

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
When the Pont Mathilde was out it was a nightmare but normally we don't have a problem.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Never have a problem with Rouen unless, like any sizeable town, hitting it at knocking off time.

If going north to south, as you come to Rouen, after the short tunnel, take the road off signposted to the airport and you come down to a strange traffic lighted junction. Keep in right hand lane and go over but bearing left and then take the road to the right. Going from memory it is green signed for Vernon. You can see ahead, in the direction you are heading,an idustrial building that has a second storey that looks as if it's falling over.

Just keep on that road with the Seine on your right. You are heading to Tourville le Rivière, the home of an Ikea store and then on to the A13 for a short free hop.

I hope I have described that okay. As we travel that route 4 or 5 times a year you tend to get into autopilot mode and don't notice landmarks that would help others in the explanation.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you want easy peasy through Rouen just go slightly west A151 the A150 pay a few Euro and you are through, been doing this since the bridge was out just followed the HGV diversion.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I remember our sat nav playing up and getting lost in back streets at rush hour.

Drove about a bit, thought we had found the right road and then bang!

We didn't actually hit the tunnel roof but the height warning signs that were hanging down.

With hundreds of cars behind us we just had to hold our breath and risk the tunnel and managed to creep out.

It broke a front sky light but in the present van we wouldn't have got under the tunnel.

We laugh about it - now:D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
When the Pont Mathilde was out it was a nightmare but normally we don't have a problem.

Should have qualified that...............unless we're coming from Dieppe and miss the signs for Autoroute:Eeek:
AND the Tall Ships are in.:Eeek::Eeek::france:

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Never have a problem with Rouen unless, like any sizeable town, hitting it at knocking off time.

If going north to south, as you come to Rouen, after the short tunnel, take the road off signposted to the airport and you come down to a strange traffic lighted junction. Keep in right hand lane and go over but bearing left and then take the road to the right. Going from memory it is green signed for Vernon. You can see ahead, in the direction you are heading,an idustrial building that has a second storey that looks as if it's falling over.

Just keep on that road with the Seine on your right. You are heading to Tourville le Rivière, the home of an Ikea store and then on to the A13 for a short free hop.

I hope I have described that okay. As we travel that route 4 or 5 times a year you tend to get into autopilot mode and don't notice landmarks that would help others in the explanation.

"Keep in right hand lane and go over but bearing left and then take the road to the right."

I hope you don't mind the critique but, after you've gone through the 'strange traffic lighted junction,' (I agree, it seems wierd) you have to go through ANOTHER set of of lights , BEFORE, you 'Take the road to the right'

Regards

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
"Keep in right hand lane and go over but bearing left and then take the road to the right."

I hope you don't mind the critique but, after you've gone through the 'strange traffic lighted junction,' (I agree, it seems wierd) you have to go through ANOTHER set of of lights , BEFORE, you 'Take the road to the right'

Regards

Been there, done that, got lost..................................and blamed the navigator!:D

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.

Regards
Dead right. I was writing it early in the day before the first espresso so only half the brain in gear. (y)
Thinking about France in general there are a lot of weird road layouts - I think they do them specially as traffic calming measures.;)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Dead right. I was writing it early in the day before the first espresso so only half the brain in gear. (y)
Thinking about France in general there are a lot of weird road layouts - I think they do them specially as traffic calming measures.;)

They seem to have exactly the reverse effect on the navigator, me I remain serene throughout!:pinocchio:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
First time 2 years ago we went through and avoided going down any tunnels, don't remember any problem.

Last year with new TT, seemed from memory to pretty well avoid the town completely, remember going over a river that I don't remember seeing before. No idea which way it took us, but it was a breeze.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been going around or through Rouen for nearly 30 years don't recall ever having a problem.
Of course if you are stupid enough to follow your Satnav - Tough:D

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Last time I just followed the SatNav and avoided Rouen altogether. Unfortunately can't remember which way we went and I've noticed the SatNavs don't always take the same route, I suppose they want a change of scenery too.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I have only experienced trouble in Rouen the first time when, the satnav and satnag had a series of disagreements leaving me to take random decisions, I now turn the voice on the satnav off and obey the satnag's instructions!

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thinking about France in general there are a lot of weird road layouts - I think they do them specially as traffic calming measures.

Has anyone noticed how many junctions, when approaching a major road from a minor road are angled to the right (when looking at the junction).
Great if you're in a LHD as they are in France.
Absolutely awful in the RHD 'van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back