LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
My other half and I are at the start of our quest to find a motor home , we are off to the NEC this weekend to have a look at various motor homes and later on we envisage going to Newark and Peterborough shows , we live not far from Peterborough , my plan is to have a good look at the layouts and hopefully come up with a clear answer as to what we prefer , also in the pipeline is an Idea to hire one or two and go exploring in Scotland and Wales before we buy , is there anything else that you guys would suggest that we do ?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
One suggestion. Subscribe on here for £10.00, best tenner spent, then you can ask lots more questions (y)

We did similar to you but ended up buying one at the first show we went to! Beware, you get excited with all those lovely MHs in front of you. Do keep your budget in mind though, it's very easy to just add a bit more, then a bit more.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
is there anything else that you guys would suggest that we do ?

yip.. join Fun , pay the subs.. best value for money tenner you will spend. :)

other than that.. enjoy searching, take your time.. few get it right first time.. and it can be a costly error..

don't get seduced by giant vans that MAY be totally impractical for your intended use.. ... how and where you will use is very important.. where will you store it. etc

do you need a garage , fixed bed, etc.. try the vans out.. lie in the beds, sit on the loo, stand in the shower, can you wash without banging your elbows on the taps, imagine getting up in the morning and she wants a lay in.. can you cook breakfast without disturbing her, can you get washed and showered.. etc ..

do you want to explore out of the way places.... wild camp etc ..

We have been searching for months and have changed our minds several times.. so don't rush.

It will always be a compromise between practicality and size.. you just have to decide what compromise you are prepared to make.. size or practicality.. big vans are great to live in but more difficult to find parking for.. huge vans can be a nightmare finding a site to accommodate.. and need more trip planning..

We have had everything from a Vdub camper to a 36ft RV and there is no 'perfect' van.. they are all a compromise.. little ones are car like to drive.. big 'uns are like a small coach..

The van we are looking to buy is a compromise.. a Hymer B544 .. at 6mt, short enough to park on our drive and easy to park .. has all the accommodation we need in a layout we want ..

Lastly, buy Jim's excellent guide to buying a Motorhome.. it is worth every penny .. everything you need to know plus a great chapter on how to get the best deal..

http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/motorhome-buyers-guide/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
In our case we require for times of shall we say marital tension our own space and have selected a MH which will provide these "safe" areas. We also have a Jack terrorist and needed a proper way to ensure she in her cage could travel securely. Have fun at the shows selecting yours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Thanks for the advice so far , we will have three small dogs to consider. I don't want a massive tag axle mh I'm thinking of 7.5 meters max , driving licence is not an issue with an hgv class 2 for me anyhow , the missus is promising to take her test :love:

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Thanks for the advice so far , we will have three small dogs to consider. I don't want a massive tag axle mh I'm thinking of 7.5 meters max , driving licence is not an issue with an hgv class 2 for me anyhow , the missus is promising to take her test :love:
If you allow the dogs on sofa, the additional seats with seat belts would allow them to travel wearing harnesses with seat belt attachment, easiest way especially as they are small enough to get comfortable on seats. We have 3 labs in a pvc! We went to the show yesterday, no intention of changing mh, but oh the selection, just need to sell the house then we can get the perfect one :D

Lin

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
In our case we require for times of shall we say marital tension our own space and have selected a MH which will provide these "safe" areas. We also have a Jack terrorist and needed a proper way to ensure she in her cage could travel securely. Have fun at the shows selecting yours.

Alan's safe place is outside :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back