What single word conjures up "The Mafia" more than any other..... (1 Viewer)

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Yep - "CORLEONE" does it every time!!!! Took the camper up the town of Corleone today to visit the Anti Mafia museum there. BLOODY HELL - these guys were mean to the core. Fortunately this one is in cuffs and being led to Chokey

DSC_0082.jpg

Leaving Sicily in a couple of days after a long stay here. Can recommend it to fellow winter climactic refugee MHF'ers on both weather and value fronts. Good deals to be had for long stays at many campsites. Just in case any of you are in the planning stages for the end of the year.

I've tacked on my last two blogs from here which might convey a sense of the place.
https://slowponyblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/09/sicily-made-me-an-offer-i-couldnt-refuse-part-2/
http://slowponyblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/sicily-made-me-an-offer-i-couldnt-refuse/

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As a point of trivia, 'La Cosa Nostra' loosely translates into 'This thing of ours' or 'Our thing' - deliberately vague.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
he has been in hiding since he was told he was going to be parked next to dawn at p/boro.
No true......

......simply building adequate defences (consisting of more substantial locks on the wine locker........) :D

Out of circulation for a week or so and will probably be banned from here by SWMBO for holiday.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yep - "CORLEONE" does it every time!!!! Took the camper up the town of Corleone today to visit the Anti Mafia museum there. BLOODY HELL - these guys were mean to the core. Fortunately this one is in cuffs and being led to Chokey

View attachment 54768
Leaving Sicily in a couple of days after a long stay here. Can recommend it to fellow winter climactic refugee MHF'ers on both weather and value fronts. Good deals to be had for long stays at many campsites. Just in case any of you are in the planning stages for the end of the year.

I've tacked on my last two blogs from here which might convey a sense of the place.
https://slowponyblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/09/sicily-made-me-an-offer-i-couldnt-refuse-part-2/
http://slowponyblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/sicily-made-me-an-offer-i-couldnt-refuse/

Great info pony, cheers. Got to persuade Mrs B that I won't sell her into slavery if we go to Sicily! (She lurves Inspector Montelbano) As if :D

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Abracadabra, that's always been a good word for conduring up almost anything ;)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Can I have Three words please ....

Monarchy,

Banksters,

Government...

:)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I just finished an incredible book on the history of the American Mafia. Born out of abject poverty in Sicily, they were despised even by the Italians and emigrated to the USA to try and make a living. They were an evil bunch, you can forget all this " honour " crap, they were just plain bad.
Phil

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
I just finished an incredible book on the history of the American Mafia. Born out of abject poverty in Sicily, they were despised even by the Italians and emigrated to the USA to try and make a living. They were an evil bunch, you can forget all this " honour " crap, they were just plain bad.
Phil
Have a look at "Midnight in Sicily" too and can you let me know what book you were reading. One of the great things about travel is how an area can really spark your curiosity. We spent a few months in a small village in the Auvergne in Central France a few years back and a chance glance at a road name "Rue d'Anne du Beaujou" led me into the history of this woman who lived around 1500 and was twice regent of France. Take me to the nearest Trivia Night ha ha.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Have a look at "Midnight in Sicily" too and can you let me know what book you were reading. One of the great things about travel is how an area can really spark your curiosity. We spent a few months in a small village in the Auvergne in Central France a few years back and a chance glance at a road name "Rue d'Anne du Beaujou" led me into the history of this woman who lived around 1500 and was twice regent of France. Take me to the nearest Trivia Night ha ha.
The book was " The first family" by Mike Dash. Terror, extortion, and the birth of the American mafia. I found it very interesting.
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back