An Abundance of Keys (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Hi, Am just sorting out the keys for my MH. I have a Autocruise Wentworth and lots of keys:
1 Peugeot Ignition/doors
2 Zadi habitation door also fits thetford door
3 WD key for lockers f.n/s, r. n/s centre o/s.
4 WD key for gas locker
5 WD key for top box
6 Key for outside shower
7 Key for Thule cycle rack
8 key for Padlock on rear ladder
9 Safe key
10 2 keys for 2 cycle D locks (Both different numbers)
Is this a record ?? bearing in mind I have multiple of some there must be enough to take me over MGW.
Is it possible to replace the WD keys with ZADI barrels,, that way I would reduce from 4 for Hab to just 1
Any suggestions

Last edited:

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
I only have 7 ( but 3 sets)

Ignition
Hab door
Hab door dead bolt
Drivers door
Fuel cap
Engine bay
All Lockers

Still enought to confuse anyone thinking of "borrowing" it

Adrian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pleased to say I only have 3 keys, 1 for ignition, 1 for the security locks, & one for everything else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I haven't got that many keys, but some look identical. To avoid the key ring shuffle every time I want one, I've colour coded them with cable ties from the £ shop. Have blue for fresh water cap, white for hab door, yellow for Thetford cassette door etc. Great in the dark too. Have clipped the ends off close with the snips.

Also, if you're fed up with a pocket full o'keys, separate them with a karabiner, just keeping the 'priority' ones with you (like hab door, ignition/alarm/entry fob etc). Clip them all back together when necessary.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I haven't got that many keys, but some look identical. To avoid the key ring shuffle every time I want one, I've colour coded them with cable ties from the £ shop. Have blue for fresh water cap, white for hab door, yellow for Thetford cassette door etc. Great in the dark too. Have clipped the ends off close with the snips.

Also, if you're fed up with a pocket full o'keys, separate them with a karabiner, just keeping the 'priority' ones with you (like hab door, ignition/alarm/entry fob etc). Clip them all back together when necessary.

I do that with home keys. Have keys for three houses and three cars as well as office etc.. I take them in and off as I think I need them and leave the ones I don't need either in the car or camper Cubby. When I'm away just the one key in my pocket.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you can buy sets of WD locks all keyed alike from ebay for under £20. or find somebody that sells zadi/hartal barrels and order all the individual lengths keyed alike. fidly job changing the zadi and hartal ones, but really easy and less secure to change wd ones

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ah, it must be a Wentworth thing. I've got more keys than Dartmoor nick!

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Wingman,, I also code them,, I have painted tippex on the key for the 3 lockers. The hab key is round and the ign/door key is a fob peugeot key. I have also got another key ring with hab door, bike locks safe and alarm fob. All the others go into the safe inside the MH. But, I also have a keyless key safe bolted under the chassis with hab door and safe keys inside. Easy enough to remove bike keys if walking so only got hab key, safe key and alarm fob.
Just wondered if the ZADI barrels were same size as the WD barrels then could change all lockers to be same as hab door. That would lessen the load. :sick:

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
TheBig1
Is that how it is done, are they different length barrels ?,, the WD keys appear to be the same key size when held side by side, but if I remember correctly, the end of the WD barrels have a long tang to turn the catch on the locker doors,, the oval type that push in and hold when locked,, spring out to enable turning when unlocked

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
3 on the right......large one ignition, other two...standard door and security door and belly locker locks.

Rest of them....no idea.
20150216_210741.jpg

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You do know I presume that should you have your Moho - or any vehicle where the same applies - nicked and you've left keys in or on the vehicle, you've invalidated your insurance?

So say your felon smashes it up and it gets recovered, when it gets stripped down or inspected to see what it will cost, and the garage or motor engineer discover the hidey place - insurers can legitimately refuse to cough up? If it stays stolen of course they'll never know.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It might just be me but I hate keys, my van key ring has 2 keys, and the car is keyless

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have five keys for the van, two are extra as have a security lock on hab door and the actual hab doir lock must have broken at some point as its a different key to the lockers (shouldn't be).

I would hate a keyless car as I have a bit of a checking doors are locked thing and everytime you go back to check it would unlock! Enough to send one to drink! Or drink more!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have five keys for the van, two are extra as have a security lock on hab door and the actual hab doir lock must have broken at some point as its a different key to the lockers (shouldn't be).

I would hate a keyless car as I have a bit of a checking doors are locked thing and everytime you go back to check it would unlock! Enough to send one to drink! Or drink more!
That is so funny, when I first got the car I actually did that, locked it and then pulled the handle to check it was locked, and of course this unlocks the car. It only took me about 3 months to get out of that habit :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Clever bugger,,,never thought of that,,,had labels on them but writing washes off if they get wet.....cable ties it is,,,BUSBY.

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm not sure I would ever get out of the habit. Just be a gibbering wreck in the corner of the car park "Its always open!!!!!!!!1!"

I had an MG Montego EFi in the 90's (I know I know! Pos but my it was fast!) I pulled two handles off that checking. All cars since have been made of sterner stuff, although that's not difficult!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You do know I presume that should you have your Moho - or any vehicle where the same applies - nicked and you've left keys in or on the vehicle, you've invalidated your insurance?

So say your felon smashes it up and it gets recovered, when it gets stripped down or inspected to see what it will cost, and the garage or motor engineer discover the hidey place - insurers can legitimately refuse to cough up? If it stays stolen of course they'll never know.
Keep my spairs in wifes handbag...BUSBY.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
key safe.JPG

Does that apply even if they are locked in approved safes bolted to chassis or floor,, surely you could argue the correct steps have been taken. I do not mean the keys underneath are held on by zip ties,, I have a key safe, only undone by the correct button combination.

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Dunno Robert - ask them!

That's me and Mrs Busby permanently loaded down with spare Moho keys, found em the other day in there, went 'What the hell are these?' before I remembered! (Good job my handbag has to be capacious for all my diabetes paraphernalia isn't it? LOL)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I am forced to take quite a lot of keys with me when we are away; however, when we are on our travels I strip off all extraneous (thought spell checker would pull me up for spelling extraneous but I got it right) keys and put them in a drawer. I take only the key for the habitation door and the alarm dongle. I don't carry a wallet just the cash and the cards. If I can leave it behind I do.

When I met my second wife she bought the biggest, heaviest letter "B" to put on my key ring. For goodness sake, I know my own bloody name.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Bernardfeay, just as I feel. I have a set of keys for walking and clip on those needed for bikes when cycling,, the rest are locked in the safe inside the MH. Should we lose the set with us I can always gain entry to the van, open the safe and turn the alarm off then sort out spare keys again.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I am forced to take quite a lot of keys with me when we are away; however, when we are on our travels I strip off all extraneous (thought spell checker would pull me up for spelling extraneous but I got it right) keys and put them in a drawer. I take only the key for the habitation door and the alarm dongle. I don't carry a wallet just the cash and the cards. If I can leave it behind I do.

When I met my second wife she bought the biggest, heaviest letter "B" to put on my key ring. For goodness sake, I know my own bloody name.

I have a friend with a (justified) reputation for losing keys. It seems almost every time we meet (usually on a campsite) that he's lost them again. One day he gave me a couple of brake discs off his car & asked me to skim them. They were too far gone for that but he now has a large, polished, cast steel key fob ............... Doesn't use it though:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back