Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I can spot that my lovely wife is slowly losing her enthusiasm for our normal tactic of parking 5 miles out of town and riding in on our pushbikes. She will insist that she does not want an electric bike but I rather think she will take to it very well.

So, my question, is it possible to charge it while we drive along? I fully accept that when we are parked up the leisure battery will flatten in 3 minutes or less.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, we have an inverter which sits on the dash shelf in front of the passenger seat that way the 12v end can easily be plopped into the socket, I've also made a 'basket' out of a wire MH cup holder (the type that you stack them in) which I've attached under the dash in front of the passenger seat using cable ties into which the charger goes with the lead from it going up and plugging into the inverter when necessary. The batteries are slotted into a couple of straps which I've fitted in the passenger the footwell (utilising existing holes/screws) so when being charged they are safely out of the way of our hairy monsters and also won't be a missile in an accident!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Hi Bernard , our electric bikes have a large range and only need charging infrequently . charging when and if on hook up should suffice . Colin .

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi we have had electric bikes for about 5 year first we had folders then when we purchased the MH, change
to freego regency 24 dutch style for the wife and a woosh mountain bike style for myself,The are both 36V 250watt with lithion iron batteries wifes is 10amp hr, mine 15amp hr.

My wifes will do around 25/30 miles with light pedalling they take about 6hrs from flat to charge but because the batteries have no memory you can charge anytime (dont have to be flat), We generally charge them before we leave home and then on hook up. My wife would not be without her bike,she uses it at home in summer instead of getting the car out.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We got loads of stick off our mates when we bought our electric bikes, but as soon as they have a go on them, they all start smiling, I'm sure your wife will be the same. Again, as others on here, we charge on the move with an inverter.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We charge ours while travelling too, from a 700W inverter.We would not be without our E/Bikes, we often use them around our home area when the weather allows, as well, a very good purchase as we have seen so much more when travelling around than we would have without them.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If the weather is okay I use mine to get to the nearest village and back via the lanes (usually traffic free). Takes me about 30 mins plus chat time :) There is never a quick trip anywhere in this area.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I would love to have one but husband does not agree. He thinks that it is cheating and that I would not get any exercise using one . He thinks that we will need to be hooked up all the time and that the bikes will run out of power after a few steep hills and become a nuisance . Also he thinks that they are too heavy ....payload etc etc . I am fed up pushing bike uphill and am always looking for flat cycle routes . So far we have pretty much exhausted most Voie Vertes and canal paths in France and are now working our way through the German ones . I must admit that I do enjoy the exercise but I think that I could do some more extensive routes if I had an electric bike .
Please let me know if there is an electric bike which is light and had a battery with real staying power .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you buy Bosch or Yamaha powered centre drive bikes battery's fully charged from empty in 2.5 hrs. Partial charge a lot less

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I would love to have one but husband does not agree. He thinks that it is cheating and that I would not get any exercise using one . He thinks that we will need to be hooked up all the time and that the bikes will run out of power after a few steep hills and become a nuisance . Also he thinks that they are too heavy ....payload etc etc . I am fed up pushing bike uphill and am always looking for flat cycle routes . So far we have pretty much exhausted most Voie Vertes and canal paths in France and are now working our way through the German ones . I must admit that I do enjoy the exercise but I think that I could do some more extensive routes if I had an electric bike .
Please let me know if there is an electric bike which is light and had a battery with real staying power .

We have let several people who were sceptical try our bikes on different campsites, and they all were impressed without exception.
I'm afraid our bikes are not particularly light, around 25KG with the battery, but very manageable, we have yet to reach the limit of our batteries, (36v 10A), and have done journeys of around 20 miles including some steep hills in Yorkshire, as for the cheating jibe, they are only electrically assisted when switched on!

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Electric bikes are the way to go. Both ours are pedal assist with Bosch electric gearing. You have to pedal so it's up to you how hard you work. Ours go with us everywhere on Thule bike rack on towbar. I use mine to build up a bit of fitness before using my 'push bike'. Ours will easily do 25 miles before recharging. In 'real terms' ours will last 2 or 3 days between charges as usually we only do 7 or 8 miles tootling around.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

I can understand his payload concerns, but as others have said, an inverter when you're driving takes care of charging. As for the exercise aspect, ours are pedal assist which means you HAVE to pedal to go anywhere. I generally don't switch mine on till I get to a hill but Val has hers on all the time to help with arthritic knees. I was out on mine 4 days after having a stent fitted and it's hilly round here, wouldn't have considered it on a "normal" bike. Val does about 40 miles a week on hers, so it's not just another "frippery" that only gets used with the van. I'm sure someone will be along soon to recommend lightweight bikes.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We have let several people who were sceptical try our bikes on different campsites, and they all were impressed without exception.
I'm afraid our bikes are not particularly light, around 25KG with the battery, but very manageable, we have yet to reach the limit of our batteries, (36v 10A), and have done journeys of around 20 miles including some steep hills in Yorkshire, as for the cheating jibe, they are only electrically assisted when switched on!

Seconded

I can understand his payload concerns, but as others have said, an inverter when you're driving takes care of charging. As for the exercise aspect, ours are pedal assist which means you HAVE to pedal to go anywhere. I generally don't switch mine on till I get to a hill but Val has hers on all the time to help with arthritic knees. I was out on mine 4 days after having a stent fitted and it's hilly round here, wouldn't have considered it on a "normal" bike. Val does about 40 miles a week on hers, so it's not just another "frippery" that only gets used with the van. I'm sure someone will be along soon to recommend lightweight bikes.

Seconded again.

I would never use a bike if I didn't have the electric assist but once the weather improves will be doing around 7 miles a day again. Saves having to get the car out for local stuff.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
If you do go electric then do make sure that you check out that it will comply with all the regulations of the countries you will be using it in. Lots of threads to check out on that little chestnut o_O

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Fitted extra battery and 140w solar panel. Use inverter to charge Bike battery at any time, on the go or parked up.
An inverter is the way to go. Ours is a smaller capacity than others have listed on the thread at 350watts and is perfectly suitable and does not drain the juice too quickly. It was also more within my budget!!!

K1m

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
Funster No
Very interesting there'd! Can anyone give recommendations as to makes and models please.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Electric bikes are the way to go. Both ours are pedal assist with Bosch electric gearing. You have to pedal so it's up to you how hard you work. Ours go with us everywhere on Thule bike rack on towbar. I use mine to build up a bit of fitness before using my 'push bike'. Ours will easily do 25 miles before recharging. In 'real terms' ours will last 2 or 3 days between charges as usually we only do 7 or 8 miles tootling around.

out of interest what Bosch bikes do you have. we each have a Haibike and Riese & Muller :) The R&M is full suspension with latest performance motor a really nice bike.. I'm well chuffed only had it a few weeks :giggle:

We have had 4 Bosch powered bikes now, previously KTM & AVE........BIG fans(y)

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have a Powabyke X6 , it's light only 21kg with battery and most importantly looks like a real bike. The only time it sort of let me down was it couldn't make the hill from Hook Norton Brewery, mind you I'm 16 stone and it was carrying 36 pints of their finest beer. The motor got the bike and beer up the hill, I had to walk. (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I have a Powabyke X6 , it's light only 21kg with battery and most importantly looks like a real bike. The only time it sort of let me down was it couldn't make the hill from Hook Norton Brewery, mind you I'm 16 stone and it was carrying 36 pints of their finest beer. The motor got the bike and beer up the hill, I had to walk. (y)
The bike didn't let you down, your leg muscles did :)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hmmm....I am definitely interested since it seems that there are some lighter weight ones on the market . Not light on the pocket though ! Also I am worried because on our usual cycle ride we will do on average 40-50 Km on fairly easy terrain . What happens if the battery runs out ...will the bike be as easy to ride as a normal one ?
I had a friend who had an electric bike and he used to have to carry a spare battery when cycling around the North Yorkshire moors . That was a few years ago ....maybe bikes and batteries are better now .

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Well we only have one of those cheapy Chinese bikes and even I can ride that without a battery quite easily and I'm old and fairly clapped out due to my misspent youth! :whistle:

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Hmmm....I am definitely interested since it seems that there are some lighter weight ones on the market . Not light on the pocket though ! Also I am worried because on our usual cycle ride we will do on average 40-50 Km on fairly easy terrain . What happens if the battery runs out ...will the bike be as easy to ride as a normal one ?
I had a friend who had an electric bike and he used to have to carry a spare battery when cycling around the North Yorkshire moors . That was a few years ago ....maybe bikes and batteries are better now .
Hi, friends if our would take their chargers, have lunch, and ask to recharge their batteries. we're never refused! Obviously thinking outside the box!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Hi, friends if our would take their chargers, have lunch, and ask to recharge their batteries. we're never refused! Obviously thinking outside the box!

I've done that as well! If you can recharge an electric car for free or not much money then why not an electric bike?

AS Bikes have a model that they claim does 60 km (or was it miles ???) Not sure of the weight though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back