Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We will be coming out of the Tunnel about 15:30 France local time next Tuesday. Just going to find an Aire for the night before early start next morning. Not intending to go too far, just get a bit down the road, but won't have much water on board. Any Aire recommendations that will have water turned on between Calais and Rouen?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Calais aire. The man will come around and collect the money at about 9am so if you're away before that you won't be charged. I think the water is free anyway.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Some of the motorway stops (those with toilets) and fuel garages often have a tap if you get stuck. Aires can be hard to predict as I guess it could all depend on the weather.
We always travel full so no issues for several days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We've often traveled full, but I know it puts us over MGL even though I can't detect the slightest difference in performance with the additional 120kg's . I'm just extra cautious now as I'm sure our Wild Camping around Scotland with a full tank and too many cans brought about an early demise of my back tyres last year.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
This one has been recommended on Motorhomefun recently.

I have not been there myself. Neufchatel-en-bray is also in the right direction for you and a couple of hours away from Calais (y)

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
This one has been recommended on Motorhomefun recently.

I have not been there myself. Neufchatel-en-bray is also in the right direction for you and a couple of hours away from Calais (y)

Broken Link Removed

Looks good Lenny, nice distance to end the day's travelling, large enough to have spaces, water and electric also. Thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think you two (or at least one you) needs to stop worrying and get over here while the sun is still shining. We didn't stop untill Marboue after Rouen and didn't try the water but can't see why it would not be on as it was quite warm, certainly on at Nersac when we stopped there but that's South of Angouleme. Just stick a bit onboard and you will be fine. Where are you heading for other than around Oliva at Easter.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I think you two (or at least one you) needs to stop worrying and get over here while the sun is still shining. We didn't stop untill Marboue after Rouen and didn't try the water but can't see why it would not be on as it was quite warm, certainly on at Nersac when we stopped there but that's South of Angouleme. Just stick a bit onboard and you will be fine. Where are you heading for other than around Oliva at Easter.

I think you are spot on! It's a week to go and I've run out of anything that needs doing and have too much time on my hands! My next post was going to be "should I get a second warning triangle as I only have the one!" o_O On the other hand, Ginny is quite chilled, as always :coolest: and want's to know why I keep going back and forward to the van :giggler:.

Nothing planned after Easter...we want to go to Camping Javea again because we liked the site and the area last time. After that no idea but further south would be nice and maybe even on to Portugal. :smiley: That could all change though if my son and girlfriend decide to come out and join us for a few days!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've been in Northern France in December quite frequently and have never had a problem with water being turned off on aires. Can't see February being any different.

Have to say the aire at Neufchatel-en-Bray is great but quite expensive I think @ €12 - it's exactly the same price as the campsite it's attached to.

Denise

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
It tips me over the max laden...unless the diet works a bit better between now and next week ;)
Surely you will be over the max if you fill up in France?!
And, aren't you more likely to get done in France than in England?
We usually travel with a full tank and try to avoid filling up on aires. They can be pretty foul places if you've ever watched people cleaning their toilet cassettes using the drinking water tap and even handling the tap after wiping their cassette with a filthy cloth.
Calais aire has free water but it takes ages to fill as you have to keep pressing the tap!

M

Madwife

Deleted User
There is water at most filling stations and according to some of the Dutch people here that's the best place to fill as right next to the MH and none of the problems with people using the water tap to clean their toilet cassette.

Kath

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We always carry a separate water container for our drinking water and only use from the tank for all the other things for the reasons you stated. I still prefer however to keep the weight down if possible.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We always travel full as well and even with 120 litre fuel tank manage to just about stay at 3500. But mine on a maxi 4 ton chassis so wouldn't fuss about carrying slightly over. Travelling empty and needing to hunt for water straight away seems a bit daft...just carry enough for a shower and first night. We always get south of Rouen for first night what ever evening crossing we get...

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Use water from the Cemetery tap, pop a couple of Euros in an envelope and a note saying 'L'eau, merci' and leave in adjourning Church – you've paid for the water, they have a couple of Euros and you have cleared your conscience – simples!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Now this will be classed as swearing but if you are stuck you can always buy water at a supermarket :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back