Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi guys
Does anyone know the part number for the Gas struts on the pull down bed in my Hymer its a 2002 B584???

Brownhills want over £110 for two but I'm pretty sure I can get them cheaper just need to know the number:doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I need to do exactly the same... nearly breaks my back lifting the bed each day!

I looked on Google and found a supplier/manufacturer who wanted the measurements of the struts etc and could supply them at a fraction of the normal Hymer cost.

Of course, being me, I haven't got around to doing it yet but it has moved up my "priority things to do list".

Also, being me, I forgot the name of the website but a quick Google search will find several possibilities.

I believe our Blessed Leader did the same job and found it quite straight forward.

JJ :cool:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You can get them re gassed something like EGS but can't remember, in Spain on slow internet, so ask google.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
There was a thread on here re struts..............sgs-engineering.com/gas struts was the company most mentioned. (y)

Will be needing them myself, I think soon.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for the quick answers guys, Yes SGS is the company I've found, just need to know the part no before ordering.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I think @Forestboy did something like that last year so may know the number

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
They do offer a 'measuring' service.........click 'replace a strut'. Might help if you can't get part no. :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just a little thing, know it's not the answer and you may already know but when putting the bed up don't push it straight up kind of do a pulling it towards you movement then push it up somehow this makes it much easier.

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Needed custom struts a few years back just supplied existing gas pressure of the old struts had them custom built worked a treat and cheap.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I took two gas struts to SGS for re-sealing. They did one but the other couldn't be done because the seals had failed. Gas struts are mass produced items made to a low cost and as such are not serviceable other than re-gassing. If they won't hold pressure you are going to have to replace them. Despite having the part numbers the only place I could get new ones was from the manufacturer in Germany. Actually that's not strictly true, I could get them made to sample in the UK but they were roughly twice the price of the Germany ones and they weren't cheap at well over £100 for a pair.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I took two gas struts to SGS for re-sealing. They did one but the other couldn't be done because the seals had failed. Gas struts are mass produced items made to a low cost and as such are not serviceable other than re-gassing. If they won't hold pressure you are going to have to replace them. Despite having the part numbers the only place I could get new ones was from the manufacturer in Germany. Actually that's not strictly true, I could get them made to sample in the UK but they were roughly twice the price of the Germany ones and they weren't cheap at well over £100 for a pair.

So are you saying SGS couldn't supply any??

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi just make sure you get the right ones, we had engineer fitting one on a fork lift truck and the old one blew the rod out straight through him.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've bought them for work from RS Components. They come in a variety of sizes and you just have to let some of the gas out through an Allen screw to get the right "action" for your installation.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
SGS that's the people not EGS, they gassed ours after checking them.

Good service.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Just wondered, there seems to be a few folk thinking about replacing struts for their Hymer beds, perhaps SGS would be up for a group purchase ?

Depends I guess if Hymers use a common strut right across the range, but I'd be interested it something could be worked out with them :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back