Continental MH's with habitation door on the 'wrong' side. (1 Viewer)

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi folks.

I asked this in 'another forum' and did get some useful answers but also some got a bit distracted and started a bit of a bun fight. As I say I did get some useful responses though, but am also very interested in answers here too in case somebody missed something.

Anyway :-

To those who have vans with the habitation doors on the 'wrong' side how much of a problems is this in practice?? I can see it's obviously not an issue abroad but in the UK?

Is it a none issue? or a bit of a pain. We have seen some continental vans of the right length and with the layout we really like hence our interest. Plus when we park at home the door being on the offside would be useful for loading unloading.

Thanks for any thoughts.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Only way I can answer, is that our van has the hab door on the correct side, and whilst travelling in Europe, it did not cause us any issues whatsoever.

The only time we had to think about it was when parking up on the side of the road, then it was a case of get everyone to leave via the drivers door. In 3 weeks on the continent I think this happened twice. So a bit of a non issue I think.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
IMO... It's a Non issue ...

actually, never had a motor home with the hab door on the 'right' side .... mine have either been German or American vans

my new van will also have the hab door on the 'wrong' side..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Mine is on the "wrong" side, no probs.
Use cab door if stopped on a busy road.
Reverse in driveway so Hab door is on the "right" side.
On site drive in or reverse in so door is where you want it.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
If you don't have a passenger door on the other side would be a bit of a worry, I wouldn't like to have a breakdown or such on a road and not have an option which side to get out of. Haven't really found it a problem on campsites most places don't seem to mind which way we park up, even caravan clubs.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
No problem for us either,

and as has been mentioned makes it easier for loading / unloading the van at home.

Andy

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never been a problem. As everyone else does we make sure we are careful if parked on the side of the road in Britain.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Can be a bit of an issue when pitching on Caravan Club sites or CC rallies with some wardens :( other than that never had any problems with our Chausson.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, we used to have a Rapido and the only problem was that on some sites like CC sometimes you are facing into some ones door or awning ,and parking at home if you have any obstructions on the off side .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've had our Burstner for 3 years and had no problems. As others have said, be sensible when exiting the van on the road side. On sites or rallies where doors facing the same direction are required it's as easy to pitch nose in as nose out.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Had our Hymer for 8 years and it's perfect when we are abroad - even better because it's LHD and has a driver's door when many RHD conversions leave you with only a passenger door at the front.
The hab. door location is a non-issue in the UK - but then I've never been to a Caravan Club site!
:whistle:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Can only echo what others have said .........it doesn't feel like the 'wrong' side at home as we reverse on.
Can't see that it is anything to get hung up about in the slightest:) The most important thing is to get the right layout for you(y)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Both vans we have had have had their doors on the wrong side but in the 16 years it's never been a problem.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I was not, of course, speaking from experience of the CC Jim, but merely reacting to some earlier posts and adding a little light-hearted banter.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Same as above LHD hymer, not a problem so far.

I'm more interested in the bun fight, what is there to get het up about?
Indeed, can't see it myself. If we're honest, how often do we park at the roadside? Even though mine is one the correct side, I always try to pull into a car park, or a protected lay-by, thus it matters not a jot which side the hab door is on!

Honestly some people get so worked up about the slightest things :LOL:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ours is also on the wrong side. We mostly wild camp so it makes no difference to us, I am hoping our next MH is also on the wrong side. Got used to it now.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Our van has a wee stick that says 1,2,3,4,5,6, and R on it so use that and there is no such thing as a door on wrong side-----simple

OP
OP
MJG1959

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Same as above LHD hymer, not a problem so far.

I'm more interested in the bun fight, what is there to get het up about?

There were some comments made about difficulties with wardens on some sites which seemed to open up wounds between a few posters.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Never had a UK van in 16 years of motor homing so as far as I am concerned my hab door is on correct side. As for door being on wrong side when you are parked at home just either reverse/drive onto your parking area and problem is sorted.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I only have one door which is on the 'wrong' side. Doesn't generally cause many problems - nothing's perfect in this life!

I have used CC and C&CC sites, but generally prefer to park nose in anyway, and that gives me a good excuse. :) Never been asked to move, though I generally mention it if anyone is parked alongside just in case it upsets them.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I did have one of those CC issues, told I had to reverse park so I could move quickly if needed, we had a brief discussion regarding the caravan with awning up, legs down, wheel clamp attached and out, he relented and let me nosey park so as not to be too close to my neighbours who were sat out smoking

but only because it was quiet and I was only staying for one night

edit = we have a wrong side door

double edit = the smoking reference was not a wind up, I really don't like it

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Generally don't spend much time on UK sites, have had the occasional cc warden telling me I must reverse onto pitch, it's not an issue as I only stay for a night or two.

I have had more of a problem with caravanners unhitching, then using motor movers to 'drive' onto the pitch, creating a situation where both sides are facing you.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
As I might have said before most CC and C&CC wardens are just grateful I haven't demolished too much of the site getting to the plot, and wisely don't insist on too much more manoeuvring on my part :rolleyes::whistle::rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back