looking ? what would you do ? (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all,spotted this
Broken Link Removed
while looking for a van to convert --It keeps dragging me back :)Would you opt for the one above OR newer say 2010/12 fiat stable van OR even a new Fiat type van -A 3yrs old one saves aprox 6k on new price
My heart likes the old merc coach but head says no simply because come sale time it will be well over 20 yrs old/may have new inside, but will someone buy it at reasonable cost :)The newer ones will sell but not sure on the bus -don't mind breaking even after a couple of yrs but don't want to loose a fortune either -thoughts please ? help make up my mind (y)
terry

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Terry with your skills get it bought. Buy a warranty for the base side of it.
It is a cracker and looks a newer model with the stylish design.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you are building to sell.. my advice (for what it's worth) is to build for the mass market.. so use a more modern Fiat type van

While the Merc may make a great motorhome, it's a niche market.. it may end up an expensive folly.

Ask yourself, why it is up for sale at only £10k

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Judging by the way you are asking I think you know what you are going to do!

My only words of caution would be is it a keeper for you? If so yes. If no it is still going to suck in a fair bit of dosh and on the resale market a lot of uninformed people will be put off by the age.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I feel that if you convert the old merc coach you will limit yourself to whose going to buy such a van,not everyone's taste.A big plus side is the amount of kit it already has in it.
I was flicking through ebay the other day and saw a library bus with very low mileage a 7.5 t vehicle and wished I had the money to buy it and get someone like yourself to fit it out.
If you go for a newer van your going to appeal to a bigger market,the choice is yours,you know the market better than most.
I'm sure whatever you do you'll do a great job,I've seen pictures of your previous builds and was impressed.In an ideal world you'd buy a base vehicle ,find a buyer and custom make it to serve their needs,which I'm my opinion would be easier with a newer van.
Whatever you decide all the best !

Vlad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
can't see that you'd ever lose money on that, you'll turn that into something spectacular with your skills..
snap it up before someone else does..
come sale time it will be a unique one off, and there will always be someone with the readies for the 'uniqueness' 'cos there are people around like that in my humble opinion..

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I intended to keep it for a couple of yrs (4/5k-14/15k in total would easy see it built)But it's big -last time I owned a big merc on that base 16/18 mpg was max,not sure things would be any/much better with that -Don't mind 25 mpg but 35 mpg is better and do I need something that is that big? :D
Fastpat I honestly don't know/cannot make up my mind -I was looking at newer Fiats but then spotted it 3 DAYS AGO (fate? do I believein fate-no ) -Then sold my Ambulance giving me more spare cash:doh:
terry

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It looks lovely, you would never know it was that old & not done many miles for the age.
If you can use most of the kit that comes with could save a lot on the conversion.
Not many could boast they have a A class self build, well that's what it looks like.
Go for it you will love it.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Terry it's a very good looking bus like many have Sade it's age may put folks off but the mane thing is if it's what you want to do you will get a grate deal of satisfaction from it.
No one can make that decision for you good luck which ever way you go
bill

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Buy it Terry and leave it as it is....it would make a cracking van to play games in...bingo bus!

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Buy it Terry and leave it as it is....it would make a cracking van to play games in...bingo bus!
:( I could be persuaded to put a pole in it (y):D
Another thought all I am short of for a van is the loo and fridge and they are already in the bus
terry

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Think of its potential as a babe magnet, pull up to a meet in that and we'd all come flocking....it's got a makeup area!

Course you and max would have to sleep across the front seats...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If it's for yourself then go for it.

If it's to sell on then don't bother unless you are building a special for a sports enthusiast.

Convert to LPG or home produced bio-diesel and the mpg problem is solved :)

I'd love it but it wouldn't be practical as too big to go on the drive :(

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
:( I could be persuaded to put a pole in it (y):D
Another thought all I am short of for a van is the loo and fridge and they are already in the bus
terry
You have ruined your thread now by introducing a pole, whats wrong with a cheque? Then all the Kippers will come out to play.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Paul's just been down and looked at the pics :)He like me has already got it converted in his head :eek:May give it a ring and go view it mid week -will wait and see what crops up
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There was one for sale on the bay only the other week. It had been stood for some time as it had been in a front end bump. Just wondering if this could have been it and repaired as there cant be many of those things about. Do an online check on it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
NO...Dont! :D Buy Fiat panel van and convert that, more than big enough for one and far easier to live with.....

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What about this Terry ?
I know it's more money but look at the mileage and when done you should have no problem selling a good Vw conversion.

image.jpg

Vlad

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Oops wish I new how to paste a link on an iPad.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Broken Link Removed ;)That too is a nice bus but it just does not do it for me like the Merc does :)Also for 500 quid more I can have a brand new lwb h/r relay (y)
I know people pay crazy prices on VWs but it needs to be closer to 10/12k :D
Keep them coming (y)
terry

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I don't know much about motorhomes etc, But that looks great to me - I'd say go for it. Only thing that might worry me is that it looks a really good bargain, so I might just check everything it pukka.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If I could sell that bl---y transit I think I would have both the Merc and a fiat -then decide which to keep :LOL::LOL::LOL::D
terry

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You've probably seen this one too ,a little narrow for my liking !
Think someone's bought my 7.5t library bus , pity that had a great body and just a few well placed windows.

image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back