Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
I always have my van on hook up when not in use ,my fridge is on permanently , i use it as an overflow for the house fridge
am i doing my fridge any harm running it all the time , it is a compressor fridge, also am i doing my batterries any harm or am i in fact doing them good, as i understand it a battery only has a number of charge / discharge cycles mine are 500 so if i let things run down then charge and so forth i am using up my allowance so to speak, but is keeping them trickled with my cbe charger any better for them?
pete

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not doing the fridge any 'harm' Pete, but like all electrical appliances has a finite life .. in this case a compressor.. so running all the time is certainly shorting it's lifespan, (unlike an absorption fridge which has no moving parts).. but whether that runs out in your ownership is hard to predict.. Personally I wouldn't use it like that but that's your choice. Do you feel lucky ?

Your logic on the battery is sound.. they only have so many cycles.. keeping on trickle is better than letting it go flat and recharging.

However, you will get other replies that contradict my views..

EDIT

I meant to say, when not in use, it's good practice to run a compressor fridge or a/c unit every so often to lubricate the seals to prevent them drying out..

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I hope you are doing the right thing, because it is exactly what I do.

Unlike you I have no idea what type of fridge I have, other than its a Dometic fridge freezer with black slightly damaged door!!

I also leave my Alde heating on permanently with thermostat set at 10C to avoid any frost issues, only just realised though that this also keeps my hot water on all the time regardless of temperature

As Jim says you will get differing opinions and those that agree with you, problem is what do you do when you receive an equal reply of agreeing and opposite opinions? :D

At least so far it is 3/0 in favour of your current use, maybe 2.5/0.5 (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with Jim as well. The only thing I will add is that keeping the fridge on all the time may actually be better for it as there is less thermal shock involved in keeping it at a low temperature than by cycling it on and off when not in use etc.... Just a thought.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When on hookup you aren't really using your battery.
You are using the charger as a power supply with the battery taking any excess charge and smoothing the voltage.

OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
When on hookup you aren't really using your battery.
You are using the charger as a power supply with the battery taking any excess charge and smoothing the voltage.
Good point, so it is probably the best way to keep the batteries in good shape and long life, i will see how this works out

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I would hope that having your van on EHU all the time doesn't hurt batteries.

If so, all of us that have solar panels are badly out of luck :eek:

(It's fine by the way)

No idea on the fridge but I wouldn't worry about it if you're getting use from it.

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Newcastleton, Scottish borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Hi
I kept my hymer on hook up, it has the schaudt elektroblok ebl 99, this stopped working with no 12v electrics and after contacting schaudt they told me it is not good for the leisure batteries to be on lengthy hook-up connected to the schaudt. I had to replace the schaudt and the leisure batteries.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Only problem is that many built in chargers are pretty basic, often just float chargers, and as such may cause the batteries to dry out. Just keep an eye on the electrolyte levels.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
I have often thought about leaving the heating ticking over through the winter instead of the oil filled radiator, surely this is only the same as full timers using the fridge / heating etc???

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back