Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Tricky,
I've got a Kuga. Had it for 5 years since new, so I know my way around it. Great car, economical and a pleasure to drive. Not had any problems with it (touch wood). Has just sailed through the MOT as usual.
Mine has the split rear tailgate. Don't think they have that facility on the newer ones? I find that really useful when I just want to chuck something in without opening the whole tailgate.

My only moan would be they way that Ford organise the various options; for example, I wanted privacy glass and power-fold mirrors but they came in separate option packs. Not sure if this is the case now?

No other moans, great car!

You planning on buying new, or second hand?

James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
There are now lots of these SUVs around and from what i hear the Kuga is a nice drive, but before you buy have a test dive in the Kia sportage, you maybe surprised and with the price.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Kuga is a great car but as Rob said have a look round. The two Hyundai ones are very good as well, probably better value for money and huge warranties.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yep, as Rob and Nick have said; there's other SUV's out there. If I ever chopped my Kuga in as part-ex (which I don't plan to do in near future) I would be attracted to the Kia Sportage. With that 'mean' looking face and DRL's, it has great lines. Warranty is great too.

My wife has a Kia Cee'd. Once again, a great looking car with plenty of gizmos - all at a reasonable price. Any problems are sorted quickly via the 7 year warranty. Dealership is helpful and pleasant too. Whenever her car goes in for a service, there's always a gleaming Sportage in the showroom. I daren't look in it. Would hate to be tempted!

OP
OP
Tricky Dicky
Nov 3, 2014
Devizes, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
For ten years
Hi all thanks for your thoughts am looking at second hand one at the moment but do like the Kia, but it will the better halves decision when it comes to it . Thanks again. Tricky.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I have a Skoda Yeti, car of the year 2009. The best car I've ever had, including coming from an Audi 3L A6. I tried a Kuga 3 years ago, but was put off by its gargoyled instrument styling. Since then I've seen very few Kugas around, despite having a local Ford dealer, but quite a number of Yetis which does suggest the Kuga is not very popular. If its not popular how well does it hold its value?

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I've not bought one recently but do keep an eye on prices of compact suvs.

I was considering a Tiguan or Yeti but didn't want to commit to such a big spend, eventually buying a 4wd golf instead.

I do like the Kuga but having had bad experiences in the past with Ford, vowed never to buy another one. I have noticed that they've held their value really well, as have Tiguans.

Anyone who bought new in 2008/2009 has had a great buy. New prices have risen sharply, think this has stopped used prices dropping too much (bit like motorhomes ?)

I know used Yetis were rock steady in price for a few years (huge demand), but have recently become more affordable. I think this is due to the bargain lease deals around at the moment.

Such good value in a new Yeti, why buy used ?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi I have a brand new one, which has the longer wheel base and more interior room and boot space, but yes the single electric tailgate.

Any one who has looked at or purchased a new Ford in the last ten years will know what an excellent product it is to drive.

I agree with the spec of the different packs, mine is the Titanium X which is their top spec, but in an effort to fall below a particular price to attract the fleet buyer they do not include power fold mirrors or sat-nav or even parking sensors in that spec, they are all extras.

As regards comparing it to the Kia, I did and they do not compare apart from their outer appearance.

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
Well may I suggest that you take a look at the New Dacia Duster. Now dont laugh, round here they are starting to become quite common, and The Germans are very practical so I have had one on rental and was very impressed. When you look at what you get for the Money too, you would be able to buy brand new top of the range for the Price of a second Hand Kia or Skoda!! Around 14 K gets you a lot of 4x4 SUV.

http://www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/duster/

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
My sister-in-law has a Dacia Duster. Its a few years old now, but she swears by it. I've had a ride in it as a rear seat passenger. Seemed good to me. Bit plastic-y, but hey, really good value.

Seen lots of them in France. Are the company tied in with Renault?

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
My sister-in-law has a Dacia Duster. Its a few years old now, but she swears by it. I've had a ride in it as a rear seat passenger. Seemed good to me. Bit plastic-y, but hey, really good value.

Seen lots of them in France. Are the company tied in with Renault?
They are WM they are Renault, the badge on the back actually now says Renault Dacia. Like I say, they seem to be excellant VFM and even on Top Gear they got good Reviews!!

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Don't know if this helps but its my story and the advice given on a forum:cool:My head lights are still ON!!:confused:

My Op; I'm normally a Freelander man because I do a lot of forestry, excavation,and demolition work. I went out last week to up date my existing Freelander, unfortunately I took my wife with me who thinks all 4X4s are tanks,. As i'm doing my "Man thing" with the dealer I hear "OH! that looks nice, what is it!!" (You can probably see where this is going( To cut a sad story short,we ended up with A KUGA!! and I'v still got my old Freelander I'm not sure if its a MK1 o Mk2? its a "Trend" sept 2010, 75k kms, Not 4x4 but has 4x4 and 4 drive shafts, sort of gun metal blue.Wife loves the colour and the car, she describes it as "very nimble" Just got a couple of queries, I can't turn off the bloody head lights, and there's no Auto on the light switch, and when I lock the car the flashers don't flash, but they do when I unlock it. Also as someone else posted on here there is a rumbling bearing type noise when driving. Any help with the above will be gratefully received

Replies;
Hi Andy
It's the mk1 that you've got (2010) . If you need to check the full spec on it (amazing how many dealers don't know how to tell if it's got 4wd) then you can check the spec on
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Are the headlights set to the park position?

Rumbly noise - this is usually the - the tyre tread wears with a sort of saw tooth pattern (you can feel it if you run your hands around the inner edges). Also some brands are noisy

ps
Can't remember if the Trend is equivalent to the Zetec, but if you haven't got footwell lights, you should be able to "upgrade " for the cost of a couple of bulbs (LEDS)

My replies;
Not really Frozen, the Freelander 2 I was interested in was a 2013 at 23k€ The Kuga was 12,500€
I took advantage of the high £ exchange rate and payed £9,250. The wife luvs it! But I don't think it would like humping stuff through the Forest too much

Thanks HugaKuga, Should the headlights be set to the park position? I checked out your link's "Blimey"It'll take ages to go through that lot, I only want to stop the Headlights coming on when I start up, I'm getting fed up with people flashing me because they are on, I keep thinking there's a
speed trap up ahead

OP
OP
Tricky Dicky
Nov 3, 2014
Devizes, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
For ten years
Thanks every one think I will follow your advice and look at some of your suggestions, will keep me out of the way of her in doors thanks again.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Tricky,
The headlights sometimes stay on for "see me home" reasons. Strange that they should light up when you START the vehicle. If you had the switch in the 'park' position, only the side lights would be illuminated (and stay on even when you turn the ign off).

Are you sure it's the headlamps and not the front fog's? The switch pulls out a notch to turn the fog lamps on. Just a thought.

As far as the locking problem goes, check that you haven't got a door or tailgate open a nats. Then, replace the battery in the fob. The fob frequently gives rise to intermittent locking problems if the battery is on the wane.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
we had a look at the Sangyong korando, at the manchester show..very good value for money 2.0 diesel engine 150bhp,,brand new on the road £15000 extra £1000 or so for 4wd. probably the best looking small suv i've seen.
5 year warranty, just wish we had a dealer near us, Leeds is the closest.
only thing what worries me is the resale value or trade in price.

ford kuga is very overpriced.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Hi Tricky,
The headlights sometimes stay on for "see me home" reasons. Strange that they should light up when you START the vehicle. If you had the switch in the 'park' position, only the side lights would be illuminated (and stay on even when you turn the ign off).

Are you sure it's the headlamps and not the front fog's? The switch pulls out a notch to turn the fog lamps on. Just a thought.

As far as the locking problem goes, check that you haven't got a door or tailgate open a nats. Then, replace the battery in the fob. The fob frequently gives rise to intermittent locking problems if the battery is on the wane.

Hi wingman I'm Frentchy (Andy) who's got the Head lamp problem. Its the dipped lights that come/stay on when the ignition /start button is pressed, I have to switch to sidelights whilst driving, and when I park switch back to off position so they all go of when I lock up, its liveable but unusual :confused:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
As regards comparing it to the Kia, I did and they do not compare apart from their outer appearance.[/QUOTE]

And the outer appearance of the Kia looks better ;) :whistle:
NDS3343266_GL64ORG_1.jpg
2015-ford-kuga_01.jpg

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi wingman I'm Frentchy (Andy) who's got the Head lamp problem. Its the dipped lights that come/stay on when the ignition /start button is pressed, I have to switch to sidelights whilst driving, and when I park switch back to off position so they all go of when I lock up, its liveable but unusual :confused:

Sorry Andy, got the wrong man!
Do you have a position marked 'Auto' on the switch? If so, your headlights will come on with the ignition due to low ambient light. Doesn't have to be too dark either! Just a dull day will do it! If this is the case, turn the switch back one notch to the headlamp position (or to off). If this isn't the case, then you have a fault.

The kugaownersclub is a good resource, or a ford dealer will sort it for you. Sorry couldn't help more.

James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back