LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
could anybody tell me the cost of a first service and do you have to use main dealer to keep warranty as my local main dealer jct 600 as just quoted £460.00 and told me its a 3hour job wish I was on that hourly rate help would be much apprecated

Cheers tomi

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if its a FIAT then to maintain your warranty you do not need a service other than the milage ( 28,000 ish or 2 years ) you do not need the full works, i had a short service which is just an oil and filter change and a few standard checks £150.
this is standard on low mileage motorhomes with FIAT. the dealer is trying to rip you off.

however at the 2 year point you will need the full service ( assuming your warranty is more than 2 years .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
ps; i emailed Fiat with this question and that is what they recommended. they even said an oil change was not needed to keep warranty under the mile / 2 years but recommended it as good practice ( which it is )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
signworks

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
Hi phill
It's a Peugeot done 8000 miles had its 2 years old in March might try email peugoet

Cheers

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
could anybody tell me the cost of a first service and do you have to use main dealer to keep warranty as my local main dealer jct 600 as just quoted £460.00 and told me its a 3hour job wish I was on that hourly rate help would be much apprecated

Cheers tomi

No you don't you can use any garage you want provided they fit genuine manufactures parts oil filter brake pads etc MUST be originals

OP
OP
signworks

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
Cheers for that my local mechanic priced all the gear up from peugoet and it cam to £89 think main dealer taking the mick

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Also I would point out that the mechanic won't be getting paid anything like the price quoted. That price is to cover not only wages but all the rest of the companies fixed costs such as utilities, accountants, building, insurance including Trader Policy, EL and PL

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Paid £199 for hab service (Chausson warranty) at Highbridge Caravans - not cheap but local to us, good reputation & booked up many months in advance. Ford first quoted £252 then after much discussion & contacting managers of all the Ford dealerships locally managed to get it down to £165 & still keep Ford Assistance Recovery in Europe - details here & mentions Peugeot servicing too http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ford-servicing-costs-rip-off.93884/
Think dealerships see motorhome owners as being loaded so have a specially priced category just for us! Should be same price as van especially as even less to check as coachbuilt part under hab service e.g. standard Transit interim service £125 so would be interesting to know what your Peugeot would cost for servicing it it was a van too. Using this point is how we negotiated the price down so definitely worth questioning it & ringing around(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I may get the oil changed when it's a year old, last van I used to get it done every 18 months, the synthetic oil is so good these day it's not as important as it used to be.
Never bother with a habitation service not required by Hymer for the warranty, I just get damp check done, €60 in Belgium, £160 in UK guess where I'm going.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Mines due 2 year service soon, still only 15000 m, reluctant to pay for a full service, had interim @£140 last year...any ideas what I should do?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Mines due 2 year service soon, still only 15000 m, reluctant to pay for a full service, had interim @£140 last year...any ideas what I should do?
A light service and if you do a lot of mountain driving might be worth considering getting the brake fluid changed.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A light service and if you do a lot of mountain driving might be worth considering getting the brake fluid changed.

Thats the way I was thinking although I know when I book will get the usual BS, which normally involves a slow intake of breath and gentle nodding of no with head:D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thats the way I was thinking although I know when I book will get the usual BS, which normally involves a slow intake of breath and gentle nodding of no with head:D
I use a local commercial service centre they are family run firm very helpful and they will not do anything that is not necessary. They only charge 20 quid for 5 Lt of fully synthetic oil, labour at £40/hour (main dealer £80). They did my VCA check for a donation in a charity box.
Might be worth a trip down to Lancing Eddie.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Had this yesterday on a Iveco 5t. MOT, Full Service and Fault finding on two problems resulting in, New driver door dual electric window switch, New complete streering wheel column control, switch for lights, indicators etc. Total £433.06 including VAT.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

an oil and filter change, air filter and pollen filter, if its low miles and only 2 years old and out of Warranty as mine is i did it myself all in cost less than £100 and 2 hours work.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
an oil and filter change, air filter and pollen filter, if its low miles and only 2 years old and out of Warranty as mine is i did it myself all in cost less than £100 and 2 hours work.

Yes but if your thinking of selling service history is everything.....

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Yes but if your thinking of selling service history is everything.....

when we sold our last van at 3 years old full official FIAT service history; All i was asked had it been regularly serviced, which it had. no one checked even when i offered the receipts and book.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signworks

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
The problem I have is its not out of warranty and I could easily service it myself and buy parts from main dealer but any warranty work in future would be void so do I pay the 460 or by the parts and do my self or let my local mechanic do it for a third of the price my local mechanic is also vat registered which I think they need to be to make sure warranty stays in place

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if its a FIAT then to maintain your warranty you do not need a service other than the milage ( 28,000 ish or 2 years ) you do not need the full works, i had a short service which is just an oil and filter change and a few standard checks £150.
this is standard on low mileage motorhomes with FIAT. the dealer is trying to rip you off.

however at the 2 year point you will need the full service ( assuming your warranty is more than 2 years .

this is fact straight from FIAT. if the van is coming up to its second year and your warranty goes past that then you will need to get the full works by FIAT.

if it on its first year service then a short service ( thats what it is called by FIAT ) will maintain your warranty. in fact FIAT UK will tell you to maintain warranty you need only comply with the recommended service miles ( i think 28K ) or 2 years whichever is the sooner. THAT IS WHAT IT STATES IN YOUR SERVICE BOOK.

your local FIAT man wants your cash,,,, i had the same with my local dealer who insisted it must be fully serviced. thats why i asked FIAT UK for confirmation. but i suggest you both look this up and email them through the FIAT camper website if you want confirmation.

OP
OP
signworks

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
Cheers phill
It coming up to 2nd year so looks like I will have to bite the bullet and get it done by main agents its a Peugeot by the way

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Cheers phill
It coming up to 2nd year so looks like I will have to bite the bullet and get it done by main agents its a Peugeot by the way

aaahhhh that puts me in my place...:rolleyes: have you tried a local Peugeot professional service dealer rather than a motorhome one i found the FIAT garage that serviced all the " White vans" much more accomidating and had all the upto date equipment and information.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
My understanding is that any warranty will be honoured if a service done by independent garage (i.e. not main dealer) is VAT registered and must use genuine parts.

Re prices, if your vehicle is on a Merc chassis its normally £300 to drive through the gate of a main dealer.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back