Fiat European breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
we are due to pick up our new motorhome at the beginning of March.

The base chassis has three year European Breakdown cover, as standard.

We normally take out breakdown cover, with recovery, during our three month duration trips.

What do you think? Should we continue to take out additional cover or not?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
NO.......... why? Fiat give you 3 years of cover :)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Are you sure they give you 3 years break down cover, because my last 3 new vans, 2008, 2011, 2014 have only given 12 months breakdown cover, that's on Fiat, Ford, and now Peugeot.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I got 2 years on mine (2013) but that was because it was 'imported' from Germany. UK conversions are given 2 years by Fiat and 1 year extra by the MH convertor (usually)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Definitely quoted as three year European breakdown cover but don't know as yet whether it also includes recovery to UK in case of serious breakdown or accident.

In any case I will have to have it in writing to believe it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The only limitation on the Fiat cover is if you breakdown in the UK they will only take the vehicle to the nearest dealer, they pay a hotel or transport home & for return transport to collect the vehicle.
Abroad is normal if it can't be repaired in 5 days they will recover it to the UK.

Fiat Roadside Assistance

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The only limitation on the Fiat cover is if you breakdown in the UK they will only take the vehicle to the nearest dealer, they pay a hotel or transport home & for return transport to collect the vehicle.
Abroad is normal if it can't be repaired in 5 days they will recover it to the UK.

Fiat Roadside Assistance
Thanks for that. I think it answers my query completely.(y):)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
My 2010 registered Fiat base came with 3 years Fiat Camper Assist. In the UK this was covered by RAC Camper Assistance for Fiat motorhomes. In the definitions section of the policy the following are defined:
Breakdown - means an unforeseen incident during the Period of Cover in the UK or the Territory, that has either immobilised Your Vehicle or made it unsafe to drive.
Period of Cover - means the period covered by this policy being 36 months from the date of first registration of Your Vehicle.
You/Your - means the person who owns the vehicle or any other oerson driving the Vehicle with the owners concent.

However, the booklet goes on to describe the two forms of response action as Roadside and Recovery.

Roadside specifically says it does not cover amongst a list - breakdown caused by or following an accident, fire, theft or act of vandalism. If you call us for assistance following such an incident You will be liable to pay Us for removal. (Subject to the terms of Your insurance policy. You can then reclaim these costs through Your insurance). Recovery refers to same T's and C's as Roadside, but goes on to describew hat happens if they cannot do a roadside repair.

Other things to note include if they consider in their reasonable opinion , note opinion not actually, is loaded beyond its legal limit they will not recover you. Animals may be transported at their discretion and at your risk, they do not insure them.

So, they will recover you after an accident, but you pay and claim back. It's critical to examine all insurance cover, UK and continental, for accident recovery cost cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Just looked at the European countries covered, and it is much wider than some I have been looking at recently. Hungary wasn't covered by some, it is by the RAC for Fiat. I don't know if the scheme us still administered on behalf of Fiat by the RAC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back