Fiat , peugeot or Mercedes Based? (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi guys. Sorry if its been asked before.

We are a little closer to having all our 'loose ends',coming together now. What with the house move, change of hospitals and all that stuff! Struth..Its took some time ! :sleep: Talk about tired!
Any way, this has now given us the time to 'whittle' our choices down on what MH to go for.
As regard 'Base truck'..Are there any of them that are a preference?
Fiat ,Peugeot and Mercedes seem to be 'The norm', so I would believe that they are well proven for the job that they do?
Would you suggest a particular type to stick with? By that..is Fiat better than Peugeot, or is Mercedes ideal or just a 'Badge' to have? :rock:
We were invited to look at a motorhome the other day at a company very well known to all of you guys I'm sure, up here in the Midlands area . I will not name but , it was the first time I was actually being pushed away from buying a 'New' motorhome ! (By that I mean less than 3 years old) We were actually being 'advised' to go for an 'older' truck ? I got the impression it was purely down to interior build quality and not the base truck . Can anyone advise at all please?
We could ( I know), just jump in and go for it and learn the hard way I suppose , just like most of you guys have done ?
However, We would really appreciate any information you guys will have .

Knowledge is King! :clap:

Thank you in advance . (Whether it be Helpful or not ::bigsmile:)

Kev and Carolyn

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Don't forget the Ford Transit!

However, the base vehicle really is a small consideration compared to the the whole package.
The priority is to ensure you have the correct layout, winterisation, tank sizes, right size fridge, right cooker, big enough bed, sufficient storage, sufficient payload, etc, etc.........
The base vehicle just moves it all about!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Fiat and Peugeot are identical vehicles apart from the badges. A Mercedes will be more expensive and in the past that was thought to be justified but as I understand it not any more. I've even heard it said that the new Sevel group light van (Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Relay) is better than the current Merc sprinter. The Merc is still 5 grand or so dearer though. Ours is on a Ducato and we don't have any issues.

If a dealer was trying to push you towards a particular vehicle I would suggest it was because he needed to shift it rather than because he thought it would be better for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the motorhome construction and layout is more important than the base vehicle. Having said that, ours is on a 2003 Sprinter and I really like driving it (powerful 2.7 litre engine, automatic transmission and left-hand drive). A Sprinter base will tend to roll a bit more, but I'm not in a rush anyway. I have heard from several sources that the Fiat base tends to have harder suspension than the Merc (presumably this also applies to other Sevel-based vans). A Fiat with an Alko back chassis section will tend to be more stable than others and it is galvanised - (but not the front of the chassis under the cab).
Regarding build quality, there is a common view that older vans were more solidly constructed. For example, I was told by a highly respected Hymer repair expert, that the interior quality worsened around 2006. I think they, in common with many other manufacturers, had a sticky patch after the recession. Hopefully today's are better built again. I still think the quality of fittings in earlier vans tends to be 'classic and strong' rather than 'glitzy and light' which so many vans seem to sport today. Perhaps this is in pursuit of the attempt to make a van that contains all the mod cons come in at a GVW below 3.5 tonnes to increase appeal to younger drivers. In practice, by the time all the apparently 'must-have' electrical, kitchen and sanitary options have been fitted, a decent sized van (and certainly an A-class) is unlikely to have a usable pay-load if it is plated at 3.5 tonnes.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Don't forget the Ford Transit!

However, the base vehicle really is a small consideration compared to the the whole package.
The priority is to ensure you have the correct layout, winterisation, tank sizes, right size fridge, right cooker, big enough bed, sufficient storage, sufficient payload, etc, etc.........
The base vehicle just moves it all about!
Hi John and Shell.

You're right! I had missed the ford has a Base truck Sorry. :unsure:
I think it was because I hadn't seen many to be honest

Kev

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Fiat and Peugeot are identical vehicles apart from the badges. A Mercedes will be more expensive and in the past that was thought to be justified but as I understand it not any more. I've even heard it said that the new Sevel group light van (Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Relay) is better than the current Merc sprinter. The Merc is still 5 grand or so dearer though. Ours is on a Ducato and we don't have any issues.

If a dealer was trying to push you towards a particular vehicle I would suggest it was because he needed to shift it rather than because he thought it would be better for you.
Hi Nicknik

Im not sure he was trying to push us on to something to be honest? I genuinely thought he was being upfront with us? The vehicles we were looking at were all similarly priced around £40k . The only reason for not mentioning the company is just incase the sales guy gets a 'roasting' for not selling the dearest one to us!
I could have been set up though , being naive ? You just don't know ?

Thanks anyway ;)

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
I agree with Nicknic that if the dealer was trying to push you to an older vehicle he wants to move old stock, if it is the dealer I am thinking of [pilote dealer] I have had issues in the past with them.
Personally I prefer the Mercedes base which I admit is more expensive but they are great, rear wheel drive as opposed to front wheel drive, as for base vehicle servicing Mercedes garages are Truck based and therefore 24 hour service as opposed to car based and only working from 8 till 5, and with the Mercedes you can get a true automatic gearbox not the robotised manual box as fitted on the Fiat, the Merc 7 speed Auto is great.
Don

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think the base vehicle choice is a lottery,,some people are very lucky and have no problems and others have vehicles that live at the main dealers..Just to much technology on all modern diesels mainly because of E E anti pollution laws,,,shame really because they are so superior for ride and driving. BUSBY.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Layout layout layout.
Far more important than the base vehicle.
All 3 are good, personally I'd choose a modern (post 2005)Fiat over a modern Merc every time. Had several Mercs but the modern ones have been junk.
Good luck(y)(y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If you get 10 different answers on this page then you might just get nine or ten different opinions. That's what they are, opinions.

I was told the Merc is the chassis to strive for especially if it gives you rear wheel drive. My best mate has the Merc under his "A" Class and without a doubt it wallows around on anything but a straight road more than my Fiat does, it also moves far more when stationary as people move about inside so much that he has now fitted corner steadies as on caravans.

According to the blurb at our local dealer, the Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen euro van now has 93% of the C and A class new market. That alone sways me towards the Ducato.

Whilst there are some Facts in there this is just my opinion.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If you get 10 different answers on this page then you might just get nine or ten different opinions. That's what they are, opinions.

I was told the Merc is the chassis to strive for especially if it gives you rear wheel drive. My best mate has the Merc under his "A" Class and without a doubt it wallows around on anything but a straight road more than my Fiat does, it also moves far more when stationary as people move about inside so much that he has now fitted corner steadies as on caravans.

According to the blurb at our local dealer, the Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen euro van now has 93% of the C and A class new market. That alone sways me towards the Ducato.

Whilst there are some Facts in there this is just my opinion.
They have the biggest % of the market because they supply them cheaper than other makers,,,always have done but they are as good/bad as the others now days. BUSBY.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I agree with Nicknic that if the dealer was trying to push you to an older vehicle he wants to move old stock, if it is the dealer I am thinking of [pilote dealer] I have had issues in the past with them.
Personally I prefer the Mercedes base which I admit is more expensive but they are great, rear wheel drive as opposed to front wheel drive, as for base vehicle servicing Mercedes garages are Truck based and therefore 24 hour service as opposed to car based and only working from 8 till 5, and with the Mercedes you can get a true automatic gearbox not the robotised manual box as fitted on the Fiat, the Merc 7 speed Auto is great.
Don

Hi Don.

Thanks for the information regarding Mercedes and Service stations/garages. That is really a good point. (y)

Kev

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Construction wise a lot of newer vans are built with GRP and no wood and large solid panels which is good for preventing leaks and obviously no rotting and also light bang resistance. I would definately prefer this type of outer hull than the traditional ali/wood set up found on older and some contemporary vans. I saw the fiat/pugeot chassis naked at the NEC show.....its a fine piece of solid engineering.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Only had Merc or Iveco, both rear wheel drive which does it for me. I have been on wet sites and driven off when all the FWDs have struggled.
As for reliability, they were/are top notch.
Phil

You can usually reverse off if you have FWD, but my biggest problem with getting stuck on wet sites was down to the tyres, never been stuck since we fitted Toyo M&S tyres.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Construction wise a lot of newer vans are built with GRP and no wood and large solid panels which is good for preventing leaks and obviously no rotting and also light bang resistance. I would definately prefer this type of outer hull than the traditional ali/wood set up found on older and some contemporary vans. I saw the fiat/pugeot chassis naked at the NEC show.....its a fine piece of solid engineering.

Most of the chassis rear of cab is usually ALCO now on majority of vans. BUSBY.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just because it's rear wheel drive doesn't mean you have better traction unless it's a TWIN WHEEL rear drive. I've had a rear single wheel drive and yes you can get stuck but my twin rear wheel drive never did. As far as front wheel drive Fiats are concerned unless you have plenty of weight at the front end then there's a possibility you can get stuck. More so if the rear end has a large boot and overhang which are tended to be loaded up. If you decide to go for a front wheel drive Fiat then go for a 3ltr, simply the best. Don't let the salesman try to sell you a 2.3ltr. I'm on my third 3ltr and they take some beating, plenty of low down torque when you need it.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Try and miss both snow and mud but would have struggled in our usual destination last week to avoid the white stuff......BUSBY:):)

We go to the Alps skiing every year so hard to avoid.
First time in snow I was really worried as I'd read all the scare monger stories on forums about how bad FWD was:eek: Imagine my surprise when the old gal ploughed through no problem what so ever. Obviously tyres make a huge difference and the ability to drive in bad conditions, I've seen loads stuck in FWD and RWD but it was as much to do with their inadequacies as drivers as anything else.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Just because it's rear wheel drive doesn't mean you have better traction unless it's a TWIN WHEEL rear drive. I've had a rear single wheel drive and yes you can get stuck but my twin rear wheel drive never did. As far as front wheel drive Fiats are concerned unless you have plenty of weight at the front end then there's a possibility you can get stuck. More so if the rear end has a large boot and overhang which are tended to be loaded up. If you decide to go for a front wheel drive Fiat then go for a 3ltr, simply the best. Don't let the salesman try to sell you a 2.3ltr. I'm on my third 3ltr and they take some beating, plenty of low down torque when you need it.

Think you get better traction with single wheel on drive axle ,,,,thats why Armed Forces always fit singles on rear for their off road vehicles.(mind you they are all terrain tyres.) BUSBY.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Think you get better traction with single wheel on drive axle ,,,,thats why Armed Forces always fit singles on rear for their off road vehicles.(mind you they are all terrain tyres.) BUSBY

You're probably right because I've seen a few RWD stuck and usually the gap between the rear twins fills up and then lose all traction.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I think motorhomes would look a bit naff if they were fitted with all terrain tyres and think of the annoying constant road noise, it would take the pleasure out of driving them. Some years ago we was on a rally with approx. 50 motorhomes in attendance parked in a field next to a village hall when it sheeted it down with rain, at the time we owned a rear wheel drive Merc Autotrail 634 and we thought that we would get off unaided but it wasn't to be. The only one to get off was a Bedford Bamby, so we all ended up being dragged off behind a farmers tractor. So much for rear wheel drive. Now the Auto-Trail 634 is built on the Fiat chassis and is a star at getting stuck in bad conditions because of the rear end overhang and storage lockers.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I think motorhomes would look a bit naff if they were fitted with all terrain tyres and think of the annoying constant road noise, it would take the pleasure out of driving them. Some years ago we was on a rally with approx. 50 motorhomes in attendance parked in a field next to a village hall when it sheeted it down with rain, at the time we owned a rear wheel drive Merc Autotrail 634 and we thought that we would get off unaided but it wasn't to be. The only one to get off was a Bedford Bamby, so we all ended up being dragged off behind a farmers tractor. So much for rear wheel drive. Now the Auto-Trail 634 is built on the Fiat chassis and is a star at getting stuck in bad conditions because of the rear end overhang and storage lockers.
Always easier to reverse off with rwd. When you drive forward you push front wheels into the ground. Bit like a pram or push chair on a beach...BUSBY.

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The first thing I did when I started the hunt for a motorhome was to visit a friend of mine who has a garage that services MH`s. I asked for his advice on what to buy and what to avoid....his reply was buy Fiat ducato post 2006 with the new engine ( he gave me engine numbers to rely on ), Mercs are not too bad but suffer from rust and stay away from Peugeot as they have problems with gearboxes...I went out and purchased a Fiat based Bessacarr with the uprated 2.3 diesel engine and its fabulous to drive.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I saw the fiat/pugeot chassis naked at the NEC show.....its a fine piece of solid engineering.

I saw it too and I thought it looked very flimsy compared to a RWD Transit 350 chassis!

Then again think of the extra payload that skinny lightweight chassis gives you!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Think you get better traction with single wheel on drive axle ,,,,thats why Armed Forces always fit singles on rear for their off road vehicles.(mind you they are all terrain tyres.) BUSBY.

Off road specific designs use wider, larger circumference wheels. The contact patch that results is similar to a smaller diameter wheel mounted in dual configuration. In fact, off road vehicles often have a second axle when the load would not have dictated it for an on-road vehicle to reduce ground pressure.
Payloads are very low for the size of the vehicles in question.
A Foden 6x8 DROPS IMMLC was huge but payload was less than 16 tonnes!
Its the larger diameter which increases step climbing ability and off road traction.
A small single wheels will have a greater ground pressure and in soft ground, this will create a deeper rut. A small wheel has great difficulty in climbing out of a deep rut and you get stuck!
The answer is either a larger diameter wheel or less ground pressure in these circumstances.

Let's wait for the heavens to open at Peterborough and see who has to tip the tractor drivers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back