Motorhome friendly towns UK (1 Viewer)

Lisaold

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Renault Knaus Sun ti
Exp
Bought our first motorhome in Sept and have used it for a couple of weekends. Looking forward to our first full year and making lots of plans.
Is there a book or site online which lists town carparks suitable for motorhomes. Are there any other publications that are a must for owners Regarding accessibility. Thanks.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Lisa - the title of your post - sadly- is a misnomer in itself !

However - I'm sure Graham (GJH) will be along with the answer to your prayers soon enough!

Upvote 0

Campfos

Free Member
Jul 6, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low top
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you like the idea of going to Edinburgh there is a park and ride out beside Edinburgh Airport that usually has a few Motorhomes parked in it. There is signs that say no overnight parking so you can only park during the day but you can use the bus or the tram from there into the centre of Edinburgh I think the fares are about £3:50 for all day travel on the buses and you can go anywhere. There is no charge for the parking just now but there is talk about the changing this in the future. Maybe other towns have similar ideas.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As you asked for UK all is not lost, get yourself to Scotland (maybe except Edinburgh)

Most towns welcome MHs

Other than that Canterbury is about the only place that gets a regular mention

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There is even an Aire in Hawick, an unofficial Aire in Jedburgh and most Borders towns love motorhomes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Motorhomes park right on the sea front in Paignton.
10 steps onto the beach. 2 minutes walk to the town ( blink and you'll miss it though) 30 seconds walk to cinema. And you can get the steam train to Dartmouth in the town centre too.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Motorhomes park right on the sea front in Paignton.
10 steps onto the beach. 2 minutes walk to the town ( blink and you'll miss it though) 30 seconds walk to cinema. And you can get the steam train to Dartmouth in the town centre too.

The West Country is on our list for a visit after Martin retires in 6 weeks time :)

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Here's a good rule to follow.

Check out the name of the French twin town on arrival at your British town of choice, then turn around and visit that twin town instead!

You'll be much more welcome there!

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
There is even an Aire in Hawick, an unofficial Aire in Jedburgh and most Borders towns love motorhomes.

Puddle duck could you tell me where these are please?

I worked in Jedburgh for nearly 2 years doing all the joinery work
For a really nice house & a stud farm on the Lord Roxburgh estate.
About 1977 - 1979 always said I'd revisit.

Always remember my first week there putting the first roof on the stud farm when a Vulcan bomber flew over my head practicing low level flying

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The one in Jedburgh..... if travelling north on the A68 go past the turn for the Abbey (the car park there is no overnight parking) and take the following left hand turn, Cannongate. (The turn on the opposite side of the road is Duck Row :) ) The Aire area is on the left as is the bus stance. The tourist information and toilets are there as well - and there are glass recycling facilities. Also free wifi. The town is interesting with the jail museum and Mary Queen of Scots House as well as the Abbey. Going south the aire is on the right of course :)

Hawick has an official Aire. As you come from the north or east on the A7 you follow the signs for Carlisle, (do not go along the High Street). That part of the A7 is Commercial Road, Sainsbury is on your right and the river Teviot is on the left, then a second hand furniture shop on the left and you turn right off the A7 which swings left at that point. Turn left at Iceland and then left again into the carpark. There are often people to greet you and advise where to park. No parking on Friday night / Saturday due to the market. Toilets available and also Lidl and Morrisons as well as Iceland and Sainsbury. An easy walk into the town, Drumlanrig Tower worth a visit and some quirky shops on the High Street. Coming from Carlisle you would stay on the A7 following the signs for Galashiels, left at the roundabout and go over the river turning left off the A7 where the A7 bears right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thank you
Think the pub I used to call my local was right on the square if I remember correctly was the Jedburgh Arms.

Went fishing a few times with the local lads in Hawick:reel:

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
[QUOTE
Wonder what you were fishing for? Shopping trolleys?[/QUOTE]
Don't know I never caught anything :love: