Buying a Motorhome in Germany via mobile.de (1 Viewer)

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

New to all this although we have been on a couple of skiing trips in a hired motorhome over the last couple of years.

We are seriously thinking of buying a used motorhome from Germany via the mobile.de website. We have 2 in mind, a Eura Mobil Integra 660HB or the Frankia 700. I have the import documents from the DVLA. Is there any advice around as we are a little worried by the age (2002/2003) of the vans (Budget restrictions). The exchange rate with the euro is very favourable right now.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks Antony

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Age? Ahaaaa!

Mine was bought last year early March and it is a 1991 fiat ducato!
OK I had to do the cambelt right away, but otherwise, only a few little things which were quickly fixed! Apart from its "Rats adventure" but this has nothing to do with the age of the van only with nature (PAH!...bloomin' rats!)
Anyway , I found a lot of quite good bargains on the German site you mentioned.
I can't give you more advices as I have imported it to France and believe this is were the main worries were.. France and its red tape... driving me mad and taking nearly 4 months (and quite a few bobs) to be solved!
Have a good look under though, check cassis and rust with a good hammer! Salt in Germany (on roads when snowing that is) kills the whole thing , and if you don't look then you might have nasty surprises! Damp and roof leaks around the vents ... mechanic ....

Good luck on your purchase! Oh and... welcome on FUN !

Amicalement

Frankie:):cool:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
image.jpg
Like your Avatar....A lot(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The main thing I worry about is damp.. it can be very expensive to repair.. DIY it is a big job.. been there..

So I'd invest in a decent damp meter and give each van a real going over.. every joint, under the windows, along the floor joints , in the locker boxes, under beds, around windows and roof lights.. lift the rubber seal and probe .. more than 15% then walk.. and any smell of damp don't even bother.. we used to call it 'caravan smell' .. a musty odor.. like dead damp leaves.. if you smell perfume / air freshener, .. it may be an attempt to hide the damp smell.

Moisture readings tend to be higher in winter, especially with a van that's been laid up for a few months, but no way should it be damp.. accept no excuses. don't accept a reduction in price .. just say bye bye

Age I wouldn't worry about but would insist on seeing proof of servicing and if the engine has a cam belt, when it was changed..

Check all other appliances actually work..

Look underneath for corrosion.. especially at the suspension points.. up under the front wings.. check the exhaust while you're down there.. make sure it is not falling off or has any obvious breaks or loose parts.. give it a good pull..

Check tyres tread depth and for wall cracks.. if possble check age using the code on the tyre .. more than seven years old should be replaced irrespective of tread depth ..

Take for a test drive..

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Yes the exchange rate is favourable but look at the costs involved in going over to Germany, researching, looking, testing.

Getting it back to the UK and DVLA, MOT etc and then any problems afterwards, you are on your own.

OK if your knowledgable and can sort problems out but in my book far better off to but from a reputable dealer with back up, they are about!

State your requirements on Fun and you never know a fellow Funster might be looking to sell his.

Just my two pennorth

Peter

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all the replies.

I already have my euro's abroad so buying in the UK doesn't make financial sense right now. I've always fancied buying an A Class from europe as I've already have experience of buying a new car from Belgium. The trip is part of the fun & excitement. I will invest in a good quality damp meter & check her over with a fine tooth-comb & also use ADAC to conduct a thorough check.

One thing I noticed on the DVLA docs was a statement that no UK resident can drive a vehicle with foreign plates on in the UK. I presume this is to prevent road tax avoidance but can one drive from Dover to Wirral legally just to get it home? (What happened to the EU single market, freedom of movement etc??? One rule for them & another for us eh)

Thanks Antony

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
[QUOTE="Antony Rowley, post: 1294973, member: 35035"

One thing I noticed on the DVLA docs was a statement that no UK resident can drive a vehicle with foreign plates on in the UK. I presume this is to prevent road tax avoidance but can one drive from Dover to Wirral legally just to get it home? (What happened to the EU single market, freedom of movement etc??? One rule for them & another for us eh)

Thanks Antony[/QUOTE]
No there is not even an exemption for that. Do what every one else does & take no notice. The EU Rule, which is where it actually comes from, was enacted in 1983 & it has taken until now for the various countries/EU to start to enforce it. As long as it is insured I wouldn't worry .
& no there is no "1 rule for them " etc; it is exactly the same in all EU states & some
( here in Spain) are far stricter than others.
They can only require you to re-register it in the Uk anyway & that's your intention. :LOL:

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
[QUOTE="Antony Rowley, post: 1294973, member: 35035"

Thanks Antony
No there is not even an exemption for that. Do what every one else does & take no notice. The EU Rule, which is where it actually comes from, was enacted in 1983 & it has taken until now for the various countries/EU to start to enforce it. As long as it is insured I wouldn't worry .
& no there is no "1 rule for them " etc; it is exactly the same in all EU states & some
( here in Spain) are far stricter than others.
They can only require you to re-register it in the Uk anyway & that's your intention. :LOL:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, one less hurdle.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have imported two new Hymers from Germany, no problems in registering in the UK and never had a problem with driving on the import plates. Only downside is that you only have third party insurance on the temporary plates until you can get cover in the UK.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi All,

Well after loads of searching on Mobile.de and 2 failed purchases we've finally secured a motorhome :). We collect our 2005 Weinsberg Meteor 790 at the end of this month. Can't wait. I'll update with photo's and the journey home once we've collected her (y)

Thanks Antony

Doing a happy dance for you! Good luck and safe journey.

:party2::party2:

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
I have imported two new Hymers from Germany, no problems in registering in the UK and never had a problem with driving on the import plates. Only downside is that you only have third party insurance on the temporary plates until you can get cover in the UK.

A company that I used to work for imported some vans about ten years ago from Southern Ireland that were new. The only problem they had was at one year old they needed on MOT, is this still the case?. We are looking to buy a new Hymer next year, it would appear that at todays exchange it would be £11000.00 cheaper at list price, same specification but LHD which we are ok with.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
For me, the biggest advantage with mobile.de is the choice of motorhomes available.
German marques like Euramobil and Frankia are so hard to find in the UK, it makes perfect sense to look abroad.

When we were in the market, our shortlist was only ever four or five vans in the UK at any one time.
Start looking in Europe and there might be twenty plus vans that fit the bill.

And let's be honest, if you want the best van, you've got to do the legwork, or have very deep pockets and buy new....

Hope it works out for you !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Thanks Antony
In theory you should remove the plates when UK and drive without any, this is legal as the DVLA only recommend you transport the vehicle.
Which gives you the best chance of getting stopped, no plates or foreign plates? I think we all know the answer.

Our Belgium dealer fits a set of false Belgium plates and drives the van to the port for us on trade plates.

Last edited:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your travels(y)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
One of the biggest problems is actually getting the dealer to respond when you see a used motorhome and send them an email, even though the website says they export and speak English.

Paul.

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
One of the biggest problems is actually getting the dealer to respond when you see a used motorhome and send them an email, even though the website says they export and speak English.

Paul.
Hi Paul,

Yes, I found that they don't respond to emails. I suppose they get loads of web tyre kickers, so I found that a quick phone call was best. Nothing like hearing someones voice and enthusiasm. Talking is best ;) imo.

Thanks for all the kind comments and I too hope it's an uneventful but enjoyable journey as that is part of the fun (I hope)

Antony

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Paul,

Yes, I found that they don't respond to emails. I suppose they get loads of web tyre kickers, so I found that a quick phone call was best. Nothing like hearing someones voice and enthusiasm. Talking is best ;) imo.

Thanks for all the kind comments and I too hope it's an uneventful but enjoyable journey as that is part of the fun (I hope)

Antony

Good luck with it all Anthony, we did it in 2007, all went smoothly.

Paul.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
German dealer a few of us use offers 5 day export insurance which is fully comp ! They arranged this with insurer as they export a lot to Scandinavia as well as here. Buying a CB or A class I recommend Belgium, prices just as keen. Shop around and you can get 17% on a coachbuilt, 10% on a panel van.., its a no brainer! :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Paul.

If your serious just call make contact then email

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes may have too.

Its best we feel when buying used which is different to buying new (which is what you have probably always done) to draw up a short list and go for a week or 2 checking them out. The problem is the same as UK some of them are not as advertised, we spent many months in Germany at one point looking, some dealers definitely to avoid.
Example. Hymer S820 advertised at Niesmann caravanning in Polch as excellent, what a pile of rubbish when we got there.
Hymer S820 advertised as excellent at wohnmobile galerie in Hohenaspe, even worse condition, don't know how they had the cheek to even advertise it in that state.

Just 2 that spring to mind, lots of others in poor condition, just the same as UK.

Paul.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have had dealings with campirama but never bought from them, but I would say yes. @lennyhb has bought two vans from them...he should see this :)

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
German dealer a few of us use offers 5 day export insurance which is fully comp ! They arranged this with insurer as they export a lot to Scandinavia as well as here. Buying a CB or A class I recommend Belgium, prices just as keen. Shop around and you can get 17% on a coachbuilt, 10% on a panel van.., its a no brainer! :)

Could you pm the dealer's details please, looking to buy a new Hymer A Class next year.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Could you pm the dealer's details please, looking to buy a new Hymer A Class next year.

Broken Link Removed

for EuraMobil and other makes another Belgian dealer. have bought from these, very efficient service......good selection of used as well :)

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back