MH Parking PoI Set - beware GPS Data Team (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Apologies for cross posting but I'm rather annoyed about this.

A couple of weeks ago I came across a MH Parking PoI set offered for download from the GPS Data Team. Intrigued that someone else should have set up a set as well as myself I investigated further and found that it is a copy of my set in the state which was available from 24th April to 1st June last year. To obtain the dataset from GPS Data Team one must pay for registration.

I'm annoyed because in the Conditions of Use I explicitly state that people may not make copies for commercial gain, publish or sell any of the contents of the PoI set for any commercial purpose without my prior written consent. The main reasons are that the PoIs are intended for use in conjunction with information displayed on the Motorhome Friendly and Unfriendly Parking web site (which gives more details of parking spots) and that by maintaining a single point for download I can ensure that the set is updated regularly. The PoIs are free to download from my web site for personal use.

Some wazzock obviously feels that he/she is special and can ignore such conditions.

Since June last year the PoI set has been updated with 9 deletions and 53 extra records as well as a number of corrections it continues to be updated on an approximately monthly basis.

I have tried to contact GPS Data Team on a number of occasions in the past couple of weeks to ask them to remove the dataset from their web site. I have used their forums, online contact form and an e-mail address found using a Whois search. I have not received any response.

Please do not waste your money downloading the dataset from the GPS Data Team site.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No need to apologise Graham.. I'd be angry too, there is always some ass**** trying to make a fast buck out of someone else's hard work.. :Angry:

Just an idea.. .. won't stop plagiarism but have you thought of putting your 'Stops' on a Google map.. perhaps you've already considered and rejected.. I've found it very useful for my list of RV suitable sites.. another string to your bow..
Google Maps

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No need to apologise Graham.. I'd be angry too, there is always some ass**** trying to make a fast buck out of someone else's hard work.. :Angry:

Just an idea.. .. won't stop plagiarism but have you thought of putting your 'Stops' on a Google map.. perhaps you've already considered and rejected.. I've found it very useful for my list of RV suitable sites.. another string to your bow..
Google Maps

Thanks Jim.

One of the versions of the dataset (there are 4 different ones in the Zip file) is designed to be opened in Google Earth but I've never actually worked with Google Maps. I'll have a look at that for the next update or the one after - depending on trips away :Smile:

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've done a bit more Googling and discovered that the web site - even though apparently Australian owned - is hosted by a company based just up the road from us in County Durham. I've e-mailed the hosting company asking for their assistance in resolving the breach of copyright.

Graham

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Still trying to get some action out of GPS Data Team and their web hosting company (based in County Durham) but in the last week I have discovered that GDT came to access my data by linking to a Hungarian web site, POIPlaza.

According to the details on the POIPlaza web site, someone named Müller Mihály apparently ignored the copyright conditions and published my database by submitting it for inclusion on the POIPlaza web site on 1st June 2008. The POIPlaza web site makes it clear that the source of the data was my web site.

From the information provided by GPS Data Team it appears that they have obtained copies of my data from the POIPlaza web site and are now making datasets based on my database available for download from their web site.

Neither POIPlaza nor GPS Data Team have my permission to publish any data extracted from my database. Their acts in publishing the data as they do therefore amount to unauthorised extraction of the contents of a database and unauthorised reutilisation of those contents. That is an infringement of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended).

I'm still badgering GDT and their web hosting company so I'm hopeful of a favourable result.

POIPlaza have not responded to messages sent to thenm so I've asked the Hungarian embassy in Londin if they can help and await their reply.

Graham

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its a shame you just missed Mr GW with him retiring, he,d have sent in the troops for you Graham:thumb::thumb:
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Theirs many a true word spoken in jest.

Olley

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
During the last couple of weeks I've been carrying on my battle to purge the infringement of my copyright.

PoIPlaza admitted their error on Sunday 18th, just before we went to London, and removed the file from their server.

However, the response of GPS Data Team was simply to put in a link to my download file (the file not the download page) together with text which suggested that they had had an input to creating it. Since then it's been cut & thrust between GDT and me. Day after day, sometimes more than once a day, I've changed the name of the data file and replaced the one which GDT linked to with a disclaimer pointing out the infringement.

I'm very pleased to say that I've just checked the GDT site again and they now have a completely different set of PoIs described as "Motorhome parking in United Kingdom". They actually look a bit more like truck stops than MH specific sites but I'm not bothered about that. The main thing is that the infringement appears to have been purged.

Just goes to prove that if you're awkward enough for long enough it is possible to beat that sort of organisation.

Thanks to all who have expressed support.

Graham

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Graham, I have had this happen to me a few years ago..
Not sure if they are still around but do some searching around and ask on hackers sites if Hackers Inc are still busy :winky:
They are kinda like the A Team ( ! ) .. You submit the details of your problem to them along with the web site causing the agg.
They take a view and IF they consider your cause righteous they will take the whole site down and put a nice little donkey blocker up .. It will take them days to get their site back up :Eeek:
In the mean time mail them and say oops ! Seems you have upset some serious people.. perhaps it is not such a good idea to steal folks work.. ( and you can bet your life yours will not be the only case )

Good luck with the cause Graham... Reckon you have everyone on here's backing mate

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks. I'll bear that in mind if it happens again. I think they've learned that I can be an awkward b*gger as well :roflmto:

Graham

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Why waste time trekking off to Embassies etc?

Whack 'em with a 'see you in court' letter from a Lawyer. But don't threaten.....ensure you carry it out.
As long as you have all the paperwork in hand to prove sole Copyright, i can't see what the problem is.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why waste time trekking off to Embassies etc?

Whack 'em with a 'see you in court' letter from a Lawyer. But don't threaten.....ensure you carry it out.
As long as you have all the paperwork in hand to prove sole Copyright, i can't see what the problem is.

That's easy if one has the money to fund an international court case with no guarantee of actually receiving any recompense. Not so easy where one is a self-funding individual.

Contacting the embassy (by e-mail rather than trekking) was an attempt at an alternative.

As it happened the embassy could not help but the web site did actually cease their infringement anyway.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back