Isle Of Wight - Best Way To Book? (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have 2 rare windows of opportunity for short breaks on the Isle Of Wight in July when our son is on courses at Southampton University. Can do 3 weekday nights before the school holidays or 4 during them:unsure: From web info & advise on here we like the look & location of the Whitefields Forest site & going from Southampton using Red Funnel would be easiest for us but looking for hints & tips on possible booking discounts? So many ways to book - whole lot though site or Red Funnel or ferry crossings & pitches individually... Can see that can also use Wightlink with Tesco vouchers but crossing dearer in the first place so not necessarily a better overall deal. Any advice or info.would be helpful please:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Last time we went we booked the crossing using Tesco vouchers and booked a CL, worked out a lot cheaper that way as we don't 'need' full blown facilities.

I found out afterwards that there's a cheap way to get a crossing without the Tesco vouchers ... I'll have to try to remember what it was though!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Last time we went we booked the crossing using Tesco vouchers and booked a CL, worked out a lot cheaper that way as we don't 'need' full blown facilities.

I found out afterwards that there's a cheap way to get a crossing without the Tesco vouchers ... I'll have to try to remember what it was though!
Just had a shuftie and you can get a 4-day return with Wightlink in July from £54.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have booked via red funnel special ferry crossing and camping deal. The lady at whitefields told us was cheaper to book them as a package. We are paying 175 for a 5 night crossing including 5 nights at whitefields :) This the first week of the easter hols for 3 adults and 1 child.

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
best we found was red funnel camping deals. five nights of your choice, choice of four sites all of which are great, includes ferry crossing both ways, and electric hook up two adults ,I think last time I paid about £150 all in ! take a look at red funnel web site

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Wombles,
I suggest contact Simon at Whitefield woods, they (as do most reasonably sized campsites) do ferry inclusive deals.
it's a lovely site (called a forest but actually more of small woods or copse) they built from scratch about 8/9 years ago , toilet block immaculate, no frills site , part hard standing, part grass .
About a mile walk from tesco & bus service about 100 yds from entrance. any thing else I can be of help just ask.
Terry

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I ought to go back there - haven't been since I was 19.

I wonder if it's changed? Is the cliff walk still there from Lake to Shanklin? And the Battery Gardens in Sandown? And Brown's golf course? and their ice cream? And the ice cream parlour - Dinelli's - in Ryde?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi sedge,
Yep all still there except at browns golf course the bakery has gone just a small tearoom, the island hasn't changed much in the last 40 years, we do have a new dinosaur museum .
Terry

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Just love isle of Wight go at least twice a year for past ten years,never get bored, always if possible do the special camping deals through red funnel.. Defo. best value...Roy

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Just had a shuftie and you can get a 4-day return with Wightlink in July from £54.
It depends on lenght & hieght of vehicle also time of year,
yes we have several good Cl's & Cs's, depending on what you want or want to pay, if anyone needs suggestions just ask.
Terry

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
We went over in October using the Red Funnel deal (cost about £130) for five nights at Waverley site which is a stones-throw from East Cowes where you can get the free (for foot passengers) chain ferry across to Cowes and handy for Osborne House. The other sites in the deal appear to be rather remote meaning you need to use your van to go anywhere or use the bus. Site itself is clean, half tourers and half statics with on-site bar and swimming pool in high season but nothing open in low season when we went.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Red funnel doing it for £126 but certain dates 4 sites to choose from
We've been very nice island, plenty to do.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Just realised I lied - forgot we used to visit Osborne Bay and Cowes quite frequently on the company yacht in the 1980s. Transit point from Gosport was the church spire in Ryde !

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Why?? The place is the most expensive crossing I know apart from the highlands.
Park in the new Forest and pretend you went across.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Why?? The place is the most expensive crossing I know apart from the highlands.
Park in the new Forest and pretend you went across.
I agree the crossing is very expensive,but when you consider the southern side of the island gets more sun than many parts of southern Europe its not as expensive as travelling halfway across Europe in search of a little sun and the natives speak English. Haha

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for all the replies so far (y) Considering Park Resorts as a budget option as includes cheap ferry crossing (before school holidays) - anyone had any experience of these on IOW? Also which are the best beaches?

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Nodes Point nice area enjoyed a 4 day break there and the weather was awsome. Walk to beach turn left walk a mile or so and its a beutiful sandy beach

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Wombles ,
Yes park resorts do some good deals beginning & end of season, as Porkster say's Nodes Point is a nice site about 200 yards from nice beach called the duver (n.t) only problem all pitches are on grass, they do have 5 which have plastic griding under , to hopefully give some grip. we visited in October when they had £5 for pitch + electric, but didn't stay as those 5 were take and the rest of pitches very wet and soft. having said that when dry and good weather it's a lovely site ( gets v busy in high season). Thorness site is OK but beach is not & the other 2 in Shanklin are about a mile from nice beach. As to best beaches , Ryde, Sandown, Shanklin are all good beaches , Compton beach (N.T) nothing there except beach and view.
Terry
P.S. Did we meet you at Jez & Lyn's meet last year , sure we did but old memory fading!!

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
if you're a member of Camping & Caravan Club book through them as you get 45% discount at least.
Beaches depends what you want.If youre at Whitefield then St Helens is nice and sandy and nice sea bathing. St Helens is pebbly but nice walk for wildlife & dog walking.
The beaches at Brook and the rest of the back of the Wight are rugged and exposed and great for surfing etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back