water in window (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I have noticed some times I get a little misting on my hab door window. Its is a comedic door and the window is like a double glassed sealed unit that opens. Today I noticed about 10mm of water in bottom of this window havnt had chance to take a close inspection yet but I couldn't find anything broken cracked.

My friend suggested that because that window is facing south and I had the silver blind up its got hot and cold too quick causing condensation.

I will add some photos there not great but give you an idea.

So good people do I have a major issue ? Any ideas suggestions welcomed as always thanks in advance
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have had similar - I think that there is a small crack near the stay and moisture gets in. It disappears without any intervention.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The windows are acrylic which is micro porous to water, to see condensation in them is common as small amounts of water can permeate through the acrylic. You will find one or two small plugs in the window on as nice warm day take the plugs out to let them dry out.
I've never seen that much in one before worth checking for a fine crack, may be just a build up over a few years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have noticed some times I get a little misting on my hab door window. Its is a comedic door and the window is like a double glassed sealed unit that opens.
Start laughing at its jokes & it'll be much happier.

Sorry :imoutahere:

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I didn't notice any plugs but there may be some holes where its fixed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The windows are acrylic which is micro porous to water

Must confess, I've never heard of that ...

I've read about acrylic paint being micro porous to water and causing damp problems when applied to outdoor wood, but not acrylic windows..

I've done some Googling but can't find anything. Do you have any information or a link for this ?

EDIT..

I have now heard of it.. thanks.. :LOL:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

afraid the link is
The page cannot be found..

thanks, just did a a search on CC website ..which confirms

Double-glazed windows occasionally mist up between the inner and outer skin. They are made from Acrylic Plastic which is an outstanding material but it is to some degree hydroscopic (porous). This means that under certain extreme conditions moisture will slowly permeate through the material. For this reason Acrylic caravan windows are not sealed units. This is so any moisture can escape from between the panes. Under most circumstances there will be no moisture between the panes, but it can occur if it is cool outside, the air inside is moist and the inside of the caravan becomes warm very quickly. In this case condensation can form between the panes, as the temperatures and humidity do not have the time to balance

also found this

-Acrylic is a Porous Material.
At first thought many people don't consider acrylic to be a porous material because after all, containers that hold water are made of it, right? This is true, but although water does not visibly pass directly through acrylic, it is absorbed by it and slowly leaches out the other side.

cheers

Last edited:

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
OK, I'll be the first..........
A "tap" on the window should fix it. :roflmto:

Terry

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
A bit of misting between the panes that comes and goes is normal but IMO not that amount of water. I had that happen on my van's washroom window and it was due to the window delaminating. It was replaced under warranty. However my van's windows are of the frameless variety - don't know if that sort of delamination can occur with framed windows.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I reckon it looks a bit worse than it might due to rounded shape, I haven't checked my own windows, but can recall, certainly when tugging that the windows had plugs in small holes, never did know why. I think I would drill a small hole on the outside to let the water out, try to size it to suit a grommet and plug when empty

But also cant really see how it got in or what harm it will do other than leave a water mark when (if) it dries out, that will be a nearly impossible to get at

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
This morning I removed the window and emptied as much water as possible. This a emptied out the top fixing holes I couldn't get rid of all of it though. I then put it on a warm radiator wrapped in a towel I read this was a good idea. But all it did was mist up evan more but I think it was getting drier possibly. As day light was coming to an end I refitted window making sure the seals where clean etc. Just have to see what next couple of days bring if the window is leaking I favour it being from top mounting holes. As I could not find any other problems and that was only place I could release the water.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
If you had two top Fixing holes, as well as setting by the radiator to vaporize the moisture I think I would have tried blowing through with the hoover using the hose on the exhaust end ie. blow hot air thro between the panes. Or Mrs's hairdryer. In through one hole and the other working as the moisture laden exhaust. Have to choke down the size of the hoover hose My big windows have the holes with the little bungs in them haven't noticed (looked) on the smaller windows.
Just thoughts, never had to do it. Yet !

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back