Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
we have bought an autotrail from glossop caravans are due to pick it up in april. when i enquired about manoevring warning signals , ( the ones that go beep beep when you reverse) they said it has them but they are broken and it will coat us £299 to replace them. Should they be selling the van with broken bits like this...they are giving us a 3 year warranty, should this be covered. Are they shafting us?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Did they say "Two, ninty nine" or "Two hundred and ninety nine"
I wouldn't take it out of the place until I was shown that EVERYTHING worked, (unless of course it was disclosed prior to sale that it would not be repaired)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Reactions: Sue
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Absolutely,
Should be covered unless you knew otherwise before you agreed the deal. What else isn't working if this is the case?

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Yes totally agree, if they are saying that then anything could be broken! Make sure they demo everything before taking. Really bad business to try this on with a customer :-(

Reactions: Sue
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Hi sue

I vaguely remember the term "fit for purpose" coming to mind when making a purchase. So if the dealer say it has them, they should be working when sold I would have thought. Perhaps check with the Trading Standards Office if possible. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We had a few things that didn't work on our van when we bought it from a dealer in Huddersfield, didn't discover them till we started using it. I think they wait till you purchase a warranty and then they get paid to carry out the repairs ( apart from ones that the warranty doesn't cover, then you're on your own ) :(

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was under the impression that reversing beepers/alarms are not legal on road vehicles under 3500kg

reversing sensors and cameras are an excellent addition though

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
most of the taxi's here in town have them fitted, i do too, even on our T4. It never ceases to amazed that even when they are working and reversing light is on that the amount of numpties that walk behind and the looks that you get when you give them a toot when they stop to chat to their friend's
As I said numpties. By the way would not pay or take it off site until after the handover to ensure that everything works as it should.
A hell of a lot of "salesmen" have not got a clue about some on the on board workings !! enjoy your new van !!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Is there any warranty on the van? If there is, I assume this should be covered

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Sue lass thas fru Yarkshire
Has tha paid all t'brass upfront? If not then when you pay the balance leave em short of £299. If they get arsey, then threaten Trading Standards/Trades descriptions.

Last edited:

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Yes most warranties will only cover the major items, so what you agree to at the time of sale re the condition and what's fitted/working is normally down to negotiation/haggle on the price.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Are you sure they haven't quoted you for fitting new ones ?
As far as I am aware they are not standard fitment on AutoTrails.
Then again, I could be wrong.

Either way, it's a lot of money.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
If you have not picked it up and just paid a deposit tell them you want them sorting before you pay,if they wont you are at the wrong dealer.

As they say vote with your feet.

I have fitted from and rear sensors to my wifes vitara and they only cost £25 of ebay with the display,some you can buy already painted the colour you need.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
we have bought an autotrail from glossop caravans are due to pick it up in april. when i enquired about manoevring warning signals , ( the ones that go beep beep when you reverse) they said it has them but they are broken and it will coat us £299 to replace them. Should they be selling the van with broken bits like this...they are giving us a 3 year warranty, should this be covered. Are they shafting us?

Bull Sh** You can buy bulbs that fit your reversing light cluster that go bleep and they cost a couple of quid

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
wow £299 ? bought mine of ebay £15.99
I bought from Maplins £19.99 but had to get two sets as the cable was too short for the Van the other was fitted to the car with the shortened cable after I had robbed the second set for an extension They work fine and accurate.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Just been reading their reviews many buyers not happy bunnies if fact I don't think I found one who was

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have fitted from and rear sensors to my wifes vitara and they only cost £25 of ebay with the display,some you can buy already painted the colour you need.

That hasn't got can-bus wiring system.

Bull Sh** You can buy bulbs that fit your reversing light cluster that go bleep and they cost a couple of quid
They can interfere with a can-bus wiring system & can show up as faults.

All the factory fit systems on vehicles with can-bus cost around £250 + to replace.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
one of our drivers bought a brand new motorhome from glossop, they let him leave with no rear lights etc working his wife was following him and had to phone him to tell him, they removed the status ariel to fit his sat dish(which didn't work) and never refitted the status.
The rear corner had been scraped before collection.
And this dealer is supposed to be one of the better ones.
Nearly as bad as the one at Bury where i got mine from.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
one of our drivers bought a brand new motorhome from glossop, they let him leave with no rear lights etc working his wife was following him and had to phone him to tell him, they removed the status ariel to fit his sat dish(which didn't work) and never refitted the status.
The rear corner had been scraped before collection.
And this dealer is supposed to be one of the better ones.
Nearly as bad as the one at Bury where i got mine from.
my god , what have we done!

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Don't worry about it Sue, you'll be fine. it seems motorhome dealers have lot to learn from car dealers even though car dealers are sharks they seem to get most things done for their customers.
If its got a reversing camera you don't really need the sensors anyway,,mine has no reversing sensors,,,, just think of the exercise your going to get jumping out and running to the back to guide him in.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Just re read your post, if its the reversing bleeper your after go down to wheelsbrook at holmfirth or Woodautos on colne road and buy a 12volt bleeper... can't see it costing more than £20, very easy to wire up to one of the reversing lights

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Just re read your post, if its the reversing bleeper your after go down to wheelsbrook at holmfirth or Woodautos on colne road and buy a 12volt bleeper... can't see it costing more than £20, very easy to wire up to one of the reversing lights
thank you!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back