Just a thought, Handbrakes... (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
On mine and most M.Homes the handbrake is on the right of the drivers seat, obviously to facilitate swivelling drivers seat...

But why, if you are driving along and should collapse at the wheel, the passenger could not reach the hand brake on most...

Why not put an electric switched hand brake in/on.. :)

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
We have an electric switched handbrake on our Mercedes, its on the right had side of the dash, below the light switch, even harder for the passenger to reach than the conventional handbrake lever on our Ducato

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Handbrake is quite difficult to release if you haven't got long arms - anyone fitted a handbrake extension, are they any good?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Handbrake is quite difficult to release if you haven't got long arms - anyone fitted a handbrake extension, are they any good?

I got a handbrake extension on my Citroen Jumper based Chausson,shoulder injury the real reason,works well BUT needed a day or two to not accidentally knock it off getting in and out.!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ours is in the middle on RHD Merc, but like Techno says, I really wouldn't fancy using it anger when moving

Couple of other hand brake related comments

MOT today nearly failed on handbrake, pulled it as instructed, when he said harder it made a god awful noise and I thought it had sheared something, he tapped around and we repeated the test with no issue. The only time it gets pulled is annually during MOT, must make a point of pulling it occasionally, joy of autos (or not)

My Mercedes estate has a function you could use, but possibly even more scary, I didn't know we had the 'feature' until this week

Going down our drive at about 10 mph, noticed a carrier bag that had been blown in with the wind, decided to open drivers door and pick it up as I passed, will never do that again, opening the door the bloody thing automatically jumps to park, whip lash injuries all round!! not sure at what speed that facility stops but I remember my Dad on our older cars when I was much younger(40 odd years ago) was always opening his door to slam shut while moving, this would slow him down, literally

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thank you Techno, Puddleduck and Baldeagle. :LOL:
If your seat rotates I would look at my link but if drivers seat is fixed then Kobran is OK
I've heard the Kobran in not such a good fit on X250 handbrakes

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Actually Andy, it isn't.
It primary purpose is an emergency service brake.
That's why, on the MOT, it's tested with the rollers turning...same as foot brake, rather than stationary.
Well of course it depends how fast you are going :LOL:
A huge difference between parking and stopping over 4 ton on the move.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My seat swivels and the handbrake is on the left but when you engage it, it returns to the horizontal "off" position. Do they have a "smug" smiley ? :LOL:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you were doing 50 mph god knows how long it would take to stop,,,,they are only a parking brake..Best and easiest thing to do if driver collapsed would be to get your right leg across to foot brake and grab steering wheel...BUSBY.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Once again....American technology hasn't advanced that far yet.

back to a Eurovan now John.. (y) Yank would have not been a problem, most have a button/lever accessible on the dash.... well all mine did anyway.. :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you were doing 50 mph god knows how long it would take to stop,,,,they are only a parking brake..Best and easiest thing to do if driver collapsed would be to get your right leg across to foot brake and grab steering wheel...BUSBY.

AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT LET THEM HAVE SIX PINTS BEFORE THEY DRIVE AGAIN.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Never really thought about this, good OP ! MacNav will now have to stand to my right when I'm Driving, instead of relaxing in the passenger seat .

Expect pain Mo, MacNav will more than likely have an old Mo Doll, and pins, large pins:rolleyes:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Actually Andy, it isn't.
It primary purpose is an emergency service brake.
That's why, on the MOT, it's tested with the rollers turning...same as foot brake, rather than stationary.
They would get a hell of a shock if they tried that on a rolling road with a Land Rover - its a centre mounted transmission brake - pull that on hard and you end up going through the windscreen. Our MOT inspector checks the slack and very gingerly tries it on the road with a dynamic brake tester

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
RVs have a foot operated park brake , impossible to reach from the other side. :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back