Laptop fan continuous running (1 Viewer)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
My laptop has started running the fan at a high speed for long periods.

Anyone know what would cause it to do this?

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The cooling fins are blocked. Buy a tin of compressed air, turn the laptop of and give it a blast through where the hot air comes out (y) Cost me £50 to find this out :cry:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Processor getting too hot, could be a build up of dust & fluff in the case vents or on the processor heat sink.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How old is the machine and how much do you have running simultaneously? As above, blocked vents are the most likely cause but your computer may also be struggling with the amount of applications running at the same time and / or the machine is old and the cooling paste between the processor and motherboard needs replacing.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Make sure it's sitting on a flat, solid surface rather than a settee cushion or whatever, so it can ventilate itself. I agree with the other comments about giving the vents a clear out.

Something else that makes the fan noisy is if the blades go off centre due to wear on the bearing. A small piece of well-placed blu-tack on one of the blades can sometimes solve this.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
The cooling fins are blocked. Buy a tin of compressed air, turn the laptop of and give it a blast through where the hot air comes out (y) Cost me £50 to find this out :cry:
Thanks I'll try that
Processor getting too hot, could be a build up of dust & fluff in the case vents or on the processor heat sink.
Thanks again for that
How old is the machine and how much do you have running simultaneously? As above, blocked vents are the most likely cause but your computer may also be struggling with the amount of applications running at the same time and / or the machine is old and the cooling paste between the processor and motherboard needs replacing.
No not old 2/3 years I don't run lots of programms at once, try the fluff removal first.
Is it a Dell by any chance ?
No Jim
Make sure it's sitting on a flat, solid surface rather than a settee cushion or whatever, so it can ventilate itself. I agree with the other comments about giving the vents a clear out.
Always on clear firm surface
Something else that makes the fan noisy is if the blades go off centre due to wear on the bearing. A small piece of well-placed blu-tack on one of the blades can sometimes solve this.

Thanks for all replies I will try the dust removal forst.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

ok.. I asked because I have a Dell Inspiron with an i7 processor that has overheated since day one.. been back to Dell TWICE and and still the same.. despite using a fan assisted cool pad, the internal fan runs all the time..

to clean it properly you may have to remove the back cover to gain access to clean the fan and processor heat sink.. I use a soft artists brush to clean delicate parts .

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Is it a Dell by any chance ?

We took our pc in to a local shop for a repair a couple of years back. Missus went back to the shop a couple of days later and said "you phoned to say my computer was fixed"
The guy asks "is it a Dell ?" Wife says "no, it's Val" she was as red as a beetroot when she got back to the car :LOL:

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
ok.. I asked because I have a Dell Inspiron with an i7 processor that has overheated since day one.. been back to Dell TWICE and and still the same.. despite using a fan assisted cool pad, the internal fan runs all the time..

to clean it properly you may have to remove the back cover to gain access to clean the fan and processor heat sink.. I use a soft artists brush to clean delicate parts .

My fan does run all the time Jim but very quietly so you cannot hear it. This sounds like a small concord taking off when it feels like it.

I cannot chance taking the back cover off as we are away in the van so it will have to wait until we get home. Have cleaned out what I can (not much) and so far it seems better. Fingers crossed.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had similar issue with a Medion laptop. Cleaning helped, I used the air comp for my R-V tyres! with the pressure reg turned right down!. Bought a laptop stand with a USB fan in it, that had 2 benefits in that the computer fan ran far less often and the typing and viewing angle could be adjusted. the "stand" fan was not too noisy when in use and was not needed as often I think because the computer had more air space underneath it?. It is essential IMHO to always have the laptop on a hard surface to allow maximum air flow.

The new(er) Dell is better and that fan never runs (in fact I have never yet heard it!!)

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Agree with all above, and certainly don't sit with your 'laptop' on your 'lap' for too long as it blocks the cooling vents. Why call them laptops!? :)

Here is one of the cooling pads: Broken Link Removed

I had a laptop that would overheat on my desk and one of those cured it.

Current laptop is fine - Packard Bell.

Keith Hart

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
My desktop pc fan was very noisy right from day one. Looking on forums I found that if you go into your bios settings (press 'del' as computer fires up if I remember rightly) there is a setting there that allows you to vary the speed and therefore noise of the fan. Sorry this is so vague but I am at work at the moment so can't verify with my pc but I found the relevant setting okay.

Paul

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
All seems to be running well now after a good blow out. I did also cleaned the system, via ASC, and a scan for viruses and malware.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My desktop pc fan was very noisy right from day one. Looking on forums I found that if you go into your bios settings (press 'del' as computer fires up if I remember rightly) there is a setting there that allows you to vary the speed and therefore noise of the fan. Sorry this is so vague but I am at work at the moment so can't verify with my pc but I found the relevant setting okay.

Paul

This will be ok with a desk top.. they have plenty of cooling.. but

I would caution against adjusting the fan speed in the bios settings in a laptop..

it will reduce noise, but also reduce the cooling and consequently increase the processor core temperature...

in my case, it is overheating, not noise that is the issue.. the fan in my Dell runs flat out and it still overheats after an hour or so of heavy use..

My desk top PC fans seldom run.. and the 13" MacBook Pro never hear it .. and it runs as cool as a cucumber.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back