Nurburgring (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We are off to Germany in June and plan to visit the race track and watch a saloon car race.
Can anyone tell me if we can wild camp inside the circuit grounds ?
Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Cheers Jay.
Is it within walking distance of the circuit and did you have to book ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
No we didn't book & yes it is very near the circuit, turn right out of the hotel & walk up the road a few yards. We then crossed over the road & a few yards up a dirt road & we were next to the track. Watched some good touring car racing for free.
If you want to go in the shops/exhibitions/grandstands etc. its about a mile.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One day I'll take the bike round there :)

Very addictive and expensive. One guy I was with, on his 14th year, running a BMW 1000RR, has done 800 laps. It's what he lives for. Let's face it, it's so easy, turn up, pay your money, run. No scrutineering, nothing. And what other track could you come hammering round a bend and find a motorhome on your line.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
I've taken a car (more than one type) there eight times over the years. Probably not going to get a trip this year, unless we head there on the return of our summer tour and give the MH a super slow lap (so I can apply the sticker!). It's a great place and I'm hoping to park in the car park of one of the smaller hotels that I know. You have to have steak on a stone if you go!

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the info. Are you usually able to park on most of the hotel car parks if you are dining there?
I'm intrigued by the steak on a stone. Never tried it.

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
One day I'll take the bike round there :)

Very addictive and expensive. One guy I was with, on his 14th year, running a BMW 1000RR, has done 800 laps. It's what he lives for. Let's face it, it's so easy, turn up, pay your money, run. No scrutineering, nothing. And what other track could you come hammering round a bend and find a motorhome on your line.

Oh I so miss the motorbike...miss the exhilarating freedom that nothing else seems to capture since...:( I used to sing at the top of my voice cos I was so happy when on one. Once I sang whilst riding pillion on my ex's bike...Im very deaf so I can't hear how I badly I sound (its atrocious apparently:whistle:)...little did I know I totally traumatised my ex (despite his wearing earplugs & helmet..no radio mics either)...I always did wonder why we stopped for so many frequent tea breaks that day...:getmecoat: :rofl::rofl:

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
. There's also a marked cycle route around the perimeter.

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
There are lots of outside car parks that are usually available for all but the big meetings, there is also a long lay-by on one of the approach roads more a section of old road really, that we sometimes have to wait in when we arrive too early for a meeting. Have a little scout around, lot of opportunities for parking up, and if you fancy steak on a stone here's the place.

http://www.am-tiergarten.de/en/rooms-nuerburgring

This is the hotel/restaurant run by Sabine Schmidt's sister, Sabine some may recall seeing on top gear, she runs the Ring taxi's and is an accomplished racer.

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Did you ride solo ?

If so do you have a good excuse for giving up ?

I did ride solo...had an unrelated near death experience at age 39...and having kept a promise never to go on a motorbike to my now long deceased Dad for over 25 years...decided to learn to ride...and despite great difficulties trying to get an instructor to teach me without radio mic (couldn't hear the blasted thing so had to do it old way) I eventually passed not long after my 40th...(y)However in the summer two years later, I was involved in a non-blame car accident (rear ended, I was stationary waiting to turn right..he was on the phone & didn't see me! :mad:) that left me permanently unable to ride again, even pillion. So yes I have a very good reason for giving up. But I'll always have the most amazing memories of fantastic journeys, days out & incredible views...and no one can take those away...:)

Ps Did wonder if my dear old dad interfered from "upstairs" cos I'd "broken my promise" ;)...but it was sooooooo worth it!!! :ROFLMAO:Shush don't tell him!:whistle:

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
Was that Sabine in the transit van ?

Yes that's her, she is sometimes in the Tiergarten restaurant, the ring taxi's incidentally are m sport Bmw's that are driven by race instructors, you can pay and have the ride of your life round the circuit.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
that left me permanently unable to ride again, even pillion.

That's terrible, only 2 years. I hope you took the driver to the cleaners, no need to answer though, that's private.

But 2 years better than most women.

18 months ago someone punted me off my bike, I bounced well, so maybe it was your dad in your case. Miserable old devil wasn't he.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are off to Germany in June and plan to visit the race track and watch a saloon car race.

As a matter of interest, there is a glorious road from Chocham to the Ring. So from a must see town to a must see Circuit. Just outside Trier is a very good aircraft museum.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Love the ring... And all that it represents.. let's hope it lasts........
ring-6.jpeg

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
18 months ago someone punted me off my bike, I bounced well, so maybe it was your dad in your case. Miserable old devil wasn't he.

Do hope you're ok now though...its a scarey time. Personally I feel that everyone should be made to ride a motorbike on the road before they are allowed to pass their car road test..just for the experience so they will always know what it felt like when a car rushes towards you...the vulnerability in particular. Not out of spite mind...just so as a car driver they are more mindful of bikers..there maybe less accidents if that were the case...just a thought thrown out there..;)

As for my Dad...lmao..he was a tough hard biker himself up to his early 20's when he came off with mum on the back. It scared him so much that he could have lost her he sold his bike next day and got a car. Needless to say when a close family friend offered to take me (14 year old tomboy) on a test ride on the back of his very new powerful kawasaki I could hardly refuse could I? Unknown to Dad I egged the friend on faster..(90mph on the motorway easily achieved:whistle:) So on return to where my Dad was waiting sweating buckets in worrying...I took off my helmet smiling rather too widely (I think the sheer mischief and absolute delight at what I'd experienced must have shown in my "innocent" eyes cos all he did was say rather loudly "No...no...and NO" Hence I had to promise there and then that I would never go on the back of another bike....and in my defence I kept it long enough!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ps Nice to think he still watches over me though...it could have been so much worse if I'd have been on my bike at the time of my accident...cheers Dad!(y)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
been a few times on the bike loved it if not scary as, especially in the rain......can't wait to take the MH around..

Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Forgot to ask, is it one of the rounds of the VLN series you are going to see ? If so, make sure you get out onto the old circuit (The North Loop) to see some of that action aswell as the grandstands of the Grand Prix circuit.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
It is Tim. Never been to the "Ring" so not really bothered what racing is on but looking at the program it looks like a good championship.

Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
It is Tim. Never been to the "Ring" so not really bothered what racing is on but looking at the program it looks like a good championship.
Well the VLN is on the 20th June (it's 911s, GT-R, GT86, Aston Martin Vantage etc). It's a 4 hour race, so plenty of time to see other parts of the track or visit the teams in the pits (they're ALL open, so you can have a look around).
There will probably be a British run 'GT86 Cup' team there, so you can cheer someone on !

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Can we just pay on the gate or is it advisable to buy tickets in advance?

Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Can we just pay on the gate or is it advisable to buy tickets in advance?
Pay when you get there, or alternatively don't pay anything and just watch from the old circuit. Head for the town of Adenau (look for Lidl) and the track passes over the road. You can follow a short path up some steps to the track - Free !

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
I like free. Is there anywhere to park the motorhome near there ideally for a couple of nights ?

Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
I don't know, this year will be the first time I have taken the motorhome there. You could contact Hotel an der Nordschleife and see if you could park in their car park if you eat there? Eddy speaks good English. Alternatively you could park in Nurburg near Hotel Burgstube. Martin the owner is English and, I'm sure, will try and help you out if you drink some of his beer and eat some of his food.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back