Advice please re a MH purchase (1 Viewer)

yorkist

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Altea-Benidorm
Funster No
MH
busy researching now
Exp
sadly none yet
I have agreed in principle a price for a 2010 Bessacarr E495. A private seller in Cumbria. He was exchanging the van against a new one for delivery on 6th March. But I'm working in UK tomorrow for a month and can't get there, and the wife isn't happy about flying over and arranging all the checks by herself. The seller says the van had a service and habitation check in Nov 2014. I was thinking I could ask the seller to scan me a copy of both documents, I could then contact the company who did the work to make sure all was well, as the seller says. Then I would feel happy spending money on the wife's travel over. As well as getting the vehicle HPI check does that sound reasonable or would you only ever rely on your own private checks however recent the others.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Like the previous poster I also would suggest it is too much to ask of the missus particularly if she's a virgin MH would be owner AND won't you kick up stink if she gets it wrong. If you can't get to see it in person don't buy it simple Also don't rely on strangers to give you an honest opinion or even a truthful answer after all they could be in cahoots with the seller

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Like the previous poster I also would suggest it is too much to ask of the missus particularly if she's a virgin MH would be owner AND won't you kick up stink if she gets it wrong. If you can't get to see it in person don't buy it simple Also don't rely on strangers to give you an honest opinion or even a truthful answer after all they could be in cahoots with the seller

Agree!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Personally I wouldn't go ahead. Even when you have experience of motorhomes its easily to be bamboozled as there is soooo much to check before handing over the cash. The E495 is a popular motorhome, there are always plenty for sale (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On the assumption that this age of MH has got to be around £30K + you could spend about 1% of that and have a proper independent report done, this should cover HPI, damp test and inspection of paperwork, plus give you some warranty against major issues missed

But I would be very unlikely to spend that kind of money without even seeing it myself

We sold our last one to a buyer who never saw it, had a report done, then when he came to collect it sat and moaned about little nicks that he hadn't been told about

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, I see your in Altea do you plan on importing it into Spain, because I believe its not like a car, and might not be possible with the habitation door on the UK side . :eek: Bob.

OP
OP
yorkist

yorkist

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Altea-Benidorm
Funster No
MH
busy researching now
Exp
sadly none yet
Hi, I see your in Altea do you plan on importing it into Spain, because I believe its not like a car, and might not be possible with the habitation door on the UK side . :eek: Bob.
Thanks Bob but no, I am leaving it in UK this year though using it in summer then next year be travelling throughout Europe, looking forward to becoming non-resident here and being a tourist only so they can't get their thieving teeth into you

OP
OP
yorkist

yorkist

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Altea-Benidorm
Funster No
MH
busy researching now
Exp
sadly none yet
But I am going to have to heed the advice of seasoned motorhomers and withdraw, so sad, a cracking price. Bad timing.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's a big step... You really need to view any van, dont just go on the price...
I think it's good to get a "feel" from the seller, do they think of it like their baby and will tell you every little detail because they have lived in / looked after it.. Or just want a sale and it out the way..

Good luck with the search...

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
If it's any consolation we had a similar experience, I fell in love with a van, it had everything we wanted, private seller, good price etc but 400 miles away in Scotland. The logics just before Christmas were too difficult to view it. I even considered putting a plea on here asking if a Scottish Funster could check it over for us.
We walked away and then a fortnight later it was a case of right van, right time, right place. Different van (Hymer) but it's all worked out and we are chuffed to bits with it.

I wish you well, there are plenty of vans out there. Good luck.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well No Way was our first van going to be new, we were willing to go up to 25k but would prefer to only spend 20k so we looked and looked and looked and went to yet another dealer one day where they had a couple advertised that we fancied. Tried the doors - all locked so went to go in the building when we saw a van door open - it was a new one but we can ask the bloke if you just go in and get someone, or what? - he said that yes that was the way it worked so off we went and got someone and we looked at the two we'd gone to see and weren't at all impressed really.

So we were going - then we had a proper look at the new one and an hour later it was ours - at the right price but not as low as £25k LOL

We NEVER regretted it.

We traded it in for the one we own now - and all I can say to you is - like houses really - if any van you go in doesn't 'speak' to you - if you can't see yourself using the kitchen, the bathroom, you don't like the upholstery or whatever - walk away. When you walk in one and feel 'at home' - and keep thinking 'this is nice' without trying - then go for it!

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Ask yourself, if you were advising a friend to spend upwards of £25k without looking... what would that advice be?

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Well No Way was our first van going to be new, we were willing to go up to 25k but would prefer to only spend 20k so we looked and looked and looked and went to yet another dealer one day where they had a couple advertised that we fancied. Tried the doors - all locked so went to go in the building when we saw a van door open - it was a new one but we can ask the bloke if you just go in and get someone, or what? - he said that yes that was the way it worked so off we went and got someone and we looked at the two we'd gone to see and weren't at all impressed really.

So we were going - then we had a proper look at the new one and an hour later it was ours - at the right price but not as low as £25k LOL

We NEVER regretted it.

We traded it in for the one we own now - and all I can say to you is - like houses really - if any van you go in doesn't 'speak' to you - if you can't see yourself using the kitchen, the bathroom, you don't like the upholstery or whatever - walk away. When you walk in one and feel 'at home' - and keep thinking 'this is nice' without trying - then go for it!

That's precisely what we think . If it doesn't feel 'right' when you enter it then forget it. Our current house was sold/bought by us as soon as we entered. It needed a lot of decoration as it hadn't been loved by its previous owners but we could see past the appalling green flock wallpaper and other things of dubious merit The same should/will happen with a MH and it should you are after all buying another home only this time its got wheels and an engine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back