Is it a Pie or not? (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
:Eeek: Hi guys and Ladies of course. We went into a pub the other evening and ordered a couple of meals for us. Carolyn had the SeaBass, I ordered the Steak and ale pie! Now ...This is where I got confused!:whatthe: I thought a 'pie' was a pastry shell filled and topped with more pastry? :wasntme:
Obviously not! It came ...scooped onto my plate with what I can only describe as a ' Puff pastry pair of wings'!
Is this a pie or not?

Kev

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
not,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Definitely NOT a pie Kev but seems to be the way pub pies are going. Have had exactly the same experience myself. Mind you that was before I started the 5/2 diet :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think a pie must always have a pastry lid but they don't always have a pastry base. Of course wars have been fought over lesser issues and regional differences will decide which side you are on.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi John.

I have tried everything to do with dieting..I have now realized that I must be a 'Huge yo yo! :spam:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ahh you're new aren't you. Nobody's explained that the official MotorhomeFun definition of a pie is that it has to come in a tin and contain unidentifiable animal products (y)

100_0937.JPG

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
A pie, if it comes in foil, has a shell and a lid! A pie, if it comes in a dish has a lid, a pile of meat and gravy with a bit of pastry is exactly that, a pile of meat and gravy with a bit of pastry, not a pie at all!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and contain unidentifiable animal products (y)

When I see a beautiful Rib Eye juicy and mouthwatering I think "thank you cow".

When I see an FB pie I think "I'm so sorry, whatever you are".

Of course the triumph of FB is the tin. Finest steel fit for Ferrari. Finest printing worthy of an art galary. Made to incredibly high tolerances.

rebellious 1

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Funster No
Would this pie be pub grub, from Mad o' Rourke's pie factory in Tipton. Last time I was there, if you could eat the entire pie they would give you another one free.The pies were called Desperate Dan Pies and if you tried one,you would be really desperate if you tried another.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It most certainly is NOT a pie.

It is a stew or casarole with a pastry lid.

A pie has a pastry base with integrated pastry sides topped with a sealed pastry lid even if it's a slice of said pie.

Nothing less than that can constitute a pie.

I get in so much trouble from Shirl for letting the establishment know what constitutes a pie and what doesn't.
whenever she sees 'pie' on the menu she tells me to shut my gob and order something else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another criteria for a proper pie......you must be able to pick it up as a whole and eat it out of your fingers.

Do that with a pub 'stew n lid' pie, if you can

I'd love to see someone try that with an FB one. Especially at 1,000,000°C straight out of the oven o_O

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Fray Bentos, a town in Uruguay where the company responsible for creating Oxo cubes started making corned beef at the end of the 19th century. Subsequently the company was acquired by Campbell Soups then Premier Foods who now flog it under the Baxters label. Amazing history almost as old as the pies.​

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back