Empty house insurance....has anyone found a company to insure their home ? (1 Viewer)

Pete&Sara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012
Hi
we are going to Europe for about five months in our motorhome but really struggling to find buildings and contents insurance for our house as it will be empty. A family member will be checking the property every week and relatives staying in school holiday for a few days now and then but no insurer will cover us for more than 90 days. Aviva will if you are an existing customer which we are not, I have also searched through many old threads on here about the subject but found no answer HELP PLEASE

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
A long time ago I had to find insurance cover for a new house that my parents had just built when they had to go to the States. After phoning around umpteen companies (pre-internet days),the only company who would agree to insure them was Royal & Sun Alliance.
However, there was no furniture or belongings in the house at that time, just the newly built/finished bungalow. You could always give them a ring and see what they say.
John Lewis use R & S A, and they mention in their blurb that they don't regard it as unoccupied until it has been empty for 60 days.

http://www.johnlewis-insurance.com/...ips-and-advice/top-tips/unoccupied-homes.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pete&Sara

Pete&Sara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012
Oops! Sorry, just realised that you've now got it sorted out whilst I was typing:doh:

Margaret
thank you its all sorted at last, i insured my mums property after she died but of course it had no contents so much easier to do

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
whoooo hoooo thank you so much all done and dusted x
Would you be willing to share how much it cost?

Extended holidays are problems many of us face.

(Did I just describe extended holidays as a problem?):groan:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
£467.31 not cheap but loads of cover including the contents away from home while in motorhome etc
Many thanks for sharing. Which Company did you use?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
£467.31 not cheap but loads of cover including the contents away from home while in motorhome etc
Thanks for the info very helpful:) can I clarify, is the insurance for 180 days then finished or can you come back home for 5 days then go away for another 180 ????:sneaky:

OP
OP
Pete&Sara

Pete&Sara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the info very helpful:) can I clarify, is the insurance for 180 days then finished or can you come back home for 5 days then go away for another 180 ????:sneaky:
I think it is 180 days in a year but we were just wondering the same thing as we want to do five months then come home for two and go off again, may have to look at getting house sitters or renting as seems to be a problem if you are wanting to be away most of the time

OP
OP
Pete&Sara

Pete&Sara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012
Just spoken to comfort and you only have to come home for two weeks then you can go away again for another 180 days whooooooo hooooooo

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I know your sorted but for any one looking for long term empty house with contents try A Plan In durable

We have my Aunties house with them 2 years empty and counting as she's in a nursing home but won't sell

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just spoken to comfort and you only have to come home for two weeks then you can go away again for another 180 days whooooooo hooooooo
Great.... sounds like you are sorted :D(y)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
The power of motorhomefun...!
See, doesn't take long to recoup the tenner !..
Plus all the info and craic on here !
Couldn't beat it with a big stick !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back