LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Hi everyone, new this forum and hopefully motorhomes. I really need help/advice/guidance..........
We have been looking at A class Rapido's for the last few months and thought we had found the one that ticked most of our boxes........
Then, using the power of the web (actually, by mistake....) I happened across the same model, 3 years newer, a lot less money, for sale in France.
Now the question is, apart from the obvious one, how do you go about importing it to Blighty.
Thanks in advance..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Most import from Germany hence the Lack of response.....sorry. Yes far better value with euro @ 1.34 plus the sort of discounts that can be negotiated on top of this.

What do you want to know? Many experienced imported on here....

Look on Link Removed to see how prices compare :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Cheers Judge. Thinking of buying private..
What sort of forms do I need to get back to England? Insurance? Etc
I know about getting it ready for use over here, speedo, headlights, fog lamps and stuff.
I also expect to be over there a few days, so going to drive over in our car as it's the cheapest option.
Any information will be greatly recieved and digested.
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
AS Eddie says have a look at German or Belgium prices likely to be better than France.
Importing is easy if it is o ver 6 months old no vat to pay, if the headlights do not adjust will need to be changed, speedo dial will need changing (takes less that 10 min on a Fiat), rear foglights must comply. You have to to get it checked by a garage or MOT station to say it complies then fill in a VCA form and send it off with 100 quid, when you receive the certificate back you can apply to DVLA for registration.

That is just a quick summery, Ive imported 2 van Eddie (Judgemental ) has brought in 9.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Cheers Judge. Thinking of buying private..
What sort of forms do I need to get back to England? Insurance? Etc
I know about getting it ready for use over here, speedo, headlights, fog lamps and stuff.
I also expect to be over there a few days, so going to drive over in our car as it's the cheapest option.
Any information will be greatly recieved and digested.
Thanks

Don't need any forms to get it into the UK biggest problem is insurance, UK companies will on insure on a VIN plate once it is on UK soil, best way is to get the current owner to drive it to the port, there is a Dutch company that will insure expect to pay up to £1000 for 30 days.
I've brought both times new from Belgium & dealer has driven the van to the port, Germany you can get 3rd party export insurance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Looked at both the German and Belgium market. Nothing there the ticks the boxes!!
As the euro is in our favour at the moment, it makes it a no brainier in my humble opinion. Ze Germans like there hymers, niesman etc which are all great vans, but no good for SWMBO!!!
It's a Rapido or we will keep the twin axle caravan she said...

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Looked at both the German and Belgium market. Nothing there the ticks the boxes!!
As the euro is in our favour at the moment, it makes it a no brainier in my humble opinion. Ze Germans like there hymers, niesman etc which are all great vans, but no good for SWMBO!!!
It's a Rapido or we will keep the twin axle caravan she said...
I would have thought plenty of Rapido's for sale in Belgium & Germany you don't say what model you are after but Mobile.de are listing 103 A Class Rapido's.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
It's a Rapido 9095 df, 2011.
Can only find 4 on leboncoin, none anywhere else.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'll answer this in full tomorrow if you dont mind. Call DVLA and get the import pack for starters :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Yes, but new shape, 2011 model and a lot lot cheaper:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Also one at Thompson leisure in NI, but again the price is £6k more than a newer shape one in France.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Errrr..... A lot cheaper? Are you able to phone in French for more details ? Where is the motorhome? Are you sure the motorhome exists? Le Bon Coin is fine for many things but I came across a lot of non existing vans.
If I can help with questions (your questions!) , or even if the van isn't too far away from my place (Toulouse) I can go and have a look for you. I can't go further than 200 kms as I don't have a lot of time off. I also work the week ends, this is why. But I can try. Let me know

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Upvote 0

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Errrr..... A lot cheaper? Are you able to phone in French for more details ? Where is the motorhome? Are you sure the motorhome exists? Le Bon Coin is fine for many things but I came across a lot of non existing vans.
If I can help with questions (your questions!) , or even if the van isn't too far away from my place (Toulouse) I can go and have a look for you. I can't go further than 200 kms as I don't have a lot of time off. I also work the week ends, this is why. But I can try. Let me know

Amicalement

Frankie:)
Same as above if its in my Region, Aquitaine/ Bordeaux(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Wow. Cheers you two for that. I will pm you both soon as I figure out how to do it on this site.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Never bought Privately.....Organise an inspection, not a clue how to do this in France, Germany easy, a DEKRA mechanicl inspection about £100 but that on a panel van, coachbuilt will need damp check, maybe the French members will know more on how to organise this.

An inspection with HPI gives peace of mind, they also check paperwork and are usually very thorough, someone buying a van from me a few years ago had one and he really went through everything. Better to lose a few hundred quid then buy a lemon...

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Never bought Privately.....Organise an inspection, not a clue how to do this in France, Germany easy, a DEKRA mechanicl inspection about £100 but that on a panel van, coachbuilt will need damp check, maybe the French members will know more on how to organise this.

An inspection with HPI gives peace of mind, they also check paperwork and are usually very thorough, someone buying a van from me a few years ago had one and he really went through everything. Better to lose a few hundred quid then buy a lemon...

Really don't know anything about this, sorry!
I guess I could ask my dealer if he knows who to contact. Shut today though, so do remind me tomorrow I tend to be too busy to ....think!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Beware, it may be a scam, they are not unique to the uk.

Yes, I agree. But a dealer has one near Lille and that is approx €5000 more, which is a nice van, easier to get home (ferry from belguim), but SWMBO likes the leather....so it's still worth a trip:)

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Also make sure you get the Original 52 part Certificate of Conformity, you will need it for the VCA application.
My recent 2011 Rapido import from Germany did not have the cert and it took Rapido nearly 8 weeks to produce a replacement and cost the dealer €100.
Cheers

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
is this it?
Broken Link Removed

4 on the site you mention, most 3500kg which is a joke as no way this van practical at that weight! + can you drive over 3500kg on you license?

bit of a trek if it is as down near Bordeaux

not a clue how export/registration works in france, germany real easy

insurance can be arranged to cover you on VIN plate when you hit the UK, but how you get to port who knows. as I don't know if you can arrange export plates and third party insurance in france....lots of homework required! can always pay chap to drive to port for you if he is a decent type. or pay a firm like bundesvan to take care of the whole thing, including collection, delivery and registration in your name

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If it is that one, being so far south could be worth Eddie's suggestion of Bundesvan, Edgehill is another possibility, however both these companies normally only deal with Germany, no harm in asking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
is this it?
Broken Link Removed

4 on the site you mention, most 3500kg which is a joke as no way this van practical at that weight! + can you drive over 3500kg on you license?

bit of a trek if it is as down near Bordeaux

not a clue how export/registration works in france, germany real easy

insurance can be arranged to cover you on VIN plate when you hit the UK, but how you get to port who knows. as I don't know if you can arrange export plates and third party insurance in france....lots of homework required! can always pay chap to drive to port for you if he is a decent type. or pay a firm like bundesvan to take care of the whole thing, including collection, delivery and registration in your name

No, it's the one that's €48500 euro
I agree what say about the payload. Driving no probs on my licence.
It's about 750 miles from our door ( day out for a yorkshire lad....)
Might give that Bundesvan a call, that seems a possibility
Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
IF you can sort export insurance a flight to Bordeaux in Feb is about £40 so getting it not a problem, forget about driving there...

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I am following this thread with interest. We will be buying a mh in the future for retirement travelling. As we have a home in France it would be easy to register it there especially as we always planned to use France as our base for touring all of Europe.

BUT we never considered buying one in France. A huge proportion of the Brits living permanently in France come back to the UK to buy their cars as France is well known for having very high prices for secondhand vehicles. Even given the cost of changing from UK plates to French ones there are savings of thousands of pounds to be made.

I find it difficult to believe that motorhomes or camping cars can possibly buck that trend but if they do I shall be delighted to hear of it.

I'll keep watching.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I am following this thread with interest. We will be buying a mh in the future for retirement travelling. As we have a home in France it would be easy to register it there especially as we always planned to use France as our base for touring all of Europe.

BUT we never considered buying one in France. A huge proportion of the Brits living permanently in France come back to the UK to buy their cars as France is well known for having very high prices for secondhand vehicles. Even given the cost of changing from UK plates to French ones there are savings of thousands of pounds to be made.

I find it difficult to believe that motorhomes or camping cars can possibly buck that trend but if they do I shall be delighted to hear of it.

I'll keep watching.

I personally don't see the point of going back to the UK to purchase a vehicle for Brits permanently living in France especially with exchange rates as they are at the moment. As for saving thousands of pounds if they buy in France they get a better value when they part exchange on their French vehicle, if they buy in UK then there are more things than changing from UK plates to French ones like lights front and rear, speedo etc. Plus the fact of the steering wheel being on the wrong side.:LOL:
As for motorhomes if you are going to register it here in France then I would recommend that you purchase one here that way there is no problem of it not being able to be registered here due to some 'fonctionaire' suggesting you get it all checked to see if it conforms to French regs!!! and much cheaper than the same spec in UK(y)

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Sorry for the delay in replying Paul,looks like some of the other French members are helping already,I shall be returning from the UK to France and travelling from Dieppe to Lyon,snow permitting!!
PM me if the van is anywhere my route and would be happy to look of it exists or not,should that be any help.

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I personally don't see the point of going back to the UK to purchase a vehicle for Brits permanently living in France especially with exchange rates as they are at the moment. As for saving thousands of pounds if they buy in France they get a better value when they part exchange on their French vehicle, if they buy in UK then there are more things than changing from UK plates to French ones like lights front and rear, speedo etc. Plus the fact of the steering wheel being on the wrong side.:LOL:
As for motorhomes if you are going to register it here in France then I would recommend that you purchase one here that way there is no problem of it not being able to be registered here due to some 'fonctionaire' suggesting you get it all checked to see if it conforms to French regs!!! and much cheaper than the same spec in UK(y)

If you can get one at a good price I agree . We reregistered ours as we already had it and did not want to change it. It can be done but does need patience and lots of paperwork !! Also cost us around 1000€ in all ten years ago so not sure of the cost now !!

Upvote 0
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
If you can get one at a good price I agree . We reregistered ours as we already had it and did not want to change it. It can be done but does need patience and lots of paperwork !! Also cost us around 1000€ in all ten years ago so not sure of the cost now !!
I agree it can be done, but why go through the hassle and with the current exchange rate there are some great vans available on the french market.:)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back