Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi All,
We are planning a trip to Europe in July/Aug/ Sept for 2 adults and 2 kids 6 and 9. Does anyone have any advice on what things cost? We were planning to do south of France, Italy and Croatia. However the camping in Italy and Croatia is eye watering expensive! We have up to 100 euros a day, but that must include petrol and everything. Are there other countries as beautiful which cost less? Or does it even out with the food price? Any ideas on what a meal out, ice cream, museum entrance, campsites, laundry cost? Any way to avoid all the extras? Any discount cards worthwhile?
We have never been to Europe by camper van before so any help greatly appreciated!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you eat out then eat where the locals do. They know the best places to go.

OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Taking the children to experience different cultures, and food is part of that! Will us the MH kitchen enough at breakfast, lunch and on the days we don't eat out!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We did 4 weeks last summer with our 2 boys 6 and 11. France, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Germany France and back.
We do a mix of wilding, Aires, sites, eating in (BBQ') eating out, visting attractions.

Total cost for everything, fuel, tolls, ferry, food (in) food (out) aires, sites etc etc cost us.... £2198 for 28 days so £79 a day

I keep spreadsheets, sad I know....:RollEyes::RollEyes:

OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I love a spreadsheet. Callum did you feel like you were always deprived or was that a fair budget? Were any of those countries cheaper, was Italy more?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I see your a fairly new member... (y)
July - Aug. + campsites Say no more .!!!!!!
Peaktime, busy etc.. Some sites may even need to be booked.

Travelled with my grandkids many times but never near the sea and at that time of year.
Central France could be a good alternative, lots of aires (some free) rivers and lakes. Bike rides etc.
As it's your first trip dont try and do to much or kids will get bored with all the driving.
My grandkids are 7 and 9 and some of the best days have been at parks and lakes where they have man made beaches. Our main trip is to Benidorm, straight through the centre of France and the Pyrennes.

Be flexible and get stopped early so you have time for a back up plan...

OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Yes have been dreaming of this all my life! Finally decided to just go for it! I would love to just travel but worry I need to book things. Lakes sound amazing, we live by the beach anyway. We are going for 10 weeks so have time to meander.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have never been to Europe by camper van before so any help greatly appreciated!

The place is just camper heaven but, on your dates it's take them for all they're worth time. Aug is super rip 'em off time if you want the best places, which will be crowded.

But all the prices are on line so you can at least find the less expensive ones. The ASCI DVD would be a big help to you, no discounts then but very detailed information with prices on thousands of sites.

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/

OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thank you will check that out. I know August will be a nightmare, but apparently kids have to go to school. I reckon this would be far more educational!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I see your a fairly new member... (y)
July - Aug. + campsites Say no more .!!!!!!
Peaktime, busy etc.. Some sites may even need to be booked.

Travelled with my grandkids many times but never near the sea and at that time of year.
Central France could be a good alternative, lots of aires (some free) rivers and lakes. Bike rides etc.
As it's your first trip dont try and do to much or kids will get bored with all the driving.
My grandkids are 7 and 9 and some of the best days have been at parks and lakes where they have man made beaches. Our main trip is to Benidorm, straight through the centre of France and the Pyrennes.

Be flexible and get stopped early so you have time for a back up plan...
First time , got to agree , if you are on a budget stick to france, Italy in August , phew, hot and pricy, very nice, don't get me wrong but with two kids in main holiday time, not for me I'm afraid

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The two of us did a trip in autumn of similar time period and mileage but into Portugal, using camp sites most nights with decent showers/EHU etc.

Everything worked out roughly around £1000/ month.

We ate out a lot which was always cheaper in the local "non tourist" areas. ie: northen Spain was cheaper than the costa's down south. Inland Portugal again better priced than the Algarve.

I have not got the costs to hand but remember (yes I also counted everything up) being shocked how much we spent on tolls, especially in France.

But have a great trip. (y)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We are a family of four and do six weeks in Europe each summer. We average around 3000miles, use some toll roads and stay in a mix of locations, aires, municipal sites and premium campsites (upto 80euros a night).
Last summer cost 3800euros for 42nights - around 90euros a day. We did however, stay with relatives for a week, when we spent nothing on sites or fuel.

We're not big drinkers, don't eat out much but will spend on daytrips.

Fuel and tolls - if we're spending the day travelling, we can do a tank of fuel in around six hours, add some toll costs, you've soon spent your 100 daily allowance, that's before food, drink and accom. If it's a hot day, four ice creams will cost 10-15euros from a service station.

Accomodation - aires on the coast can be busy(full), campsites expensive. If in a costal area, we've rarely paid less than 30euros a night, average closer to 50euros a night.
Inland, aires are great and not so busy, campsites can still be expensive...

Days out can be expensive too - kayak hire, mountain railways and cable cars for example, will cost a fair bit.
Although we have found that some of the best days out are free. Beach, bike ride, unexpected stops can all be great.

Food - We've never found food any cheaper than at home and soft drinks can be expensive... we usually spend around 100euros at supermarkets every five days and that's trying to be economical....

We don't take too many clothes and do most washing by hand, drying on our washing line.
Launderette wash and dry is around eight euros.

Most countries seem to be similarly priced (lidl cost nearly the same everywhere).

We're heading to Italy this summer, am currently doing research, know it's going to be damned expensive (and busy).

Biggest money saving tips - buy fuel at Supermarkets, shop at discount stores and avoid toll roads (if you have the time)

Hope this helps

OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
It really does MOHO. Can you give me an example of tolls? I hadn't thought of that. I don't imagine having too many days of long travel, the boys would drive us mad. MikeD your budget seems very good.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thank you will check that out. I know August will be a nightmare, but apparently kids have to go to school. I reckon this would be far more educational!

Hi RebeccaKirsty. We never book anything in advance except the ferries. We just find sites on the day or sometimes we phone the night before for a specific site if we know where and when we want to stop. This was in August, peak season.
We had a great time and the boys loved it (as always)
Some examples of our costs on that trip; prices in Euro;

Campsites:
France: Chateaudun Municipal €12.70 per night, kids play area, river for fishing. Licques €36 per night, kids play area, bouncy, indoor pool.
Italy: Lake Garda, Peschiera de Garda €60.50 per night Lakeside site, beach pool complex, kids play, resto, bar, lakeside 10 min walk to town. Venice €43 per night, indoor pool (extra), cheap bus from outside campsite into Venice 10 minutes away.
Slovenia: Ankaran near Kupor, €38 euros per night, right on the beach, huge pool, kids club, play areas, bar, restos etc.
Lake Bled €34 per night, lakeside site, kids play, bar resto, hire boats to go out on the lake to the island.
Austria. Mondeseeland, €38 per night, kids play, fishing pond, heated pool, bar resto.

We were going to Croatia where the prices were very similar to Slovenia but a tree fell on our van at Ankaran.

Now offset your overall site costs by also using Aires and wilding; Aires ranged from free of charge including toilets and hook up to the most expensive we paid was €12.5o for the Aire at Chamonix. We went up on the cable cars at Chamonix to the Aguille du Midi, €183 for family of four but well worth it. That is included in our total spend as I mentioned earlier. Stellplatz in Germany €7 average.

Out total cost for Aires and camp sites averaged out at €21 per night for the 4 week trip.
Fuel was our biggest cost at €700 for just over 5000km, approx 26 mpg. we spent €228 on Tolls including €65 for the Mt Blanc Tunnel and €20 for vignettes for Slovenia and Austria.

Food eating in and out averaged €21 per day, including my beer and SWMBO's wine and Sangria. We food shop almost every day so as to buy fresh and leave room in the fridge freezer for drinks and ice creams.. Lidl is cheaper especially in Slovenia, Austria and Germany. For ice creams just go into a supermarket and buy a box of 4 Cornetto or Choc ice, whatever you like. You will get a box of 4 for not much more than one ice cream from a Ice cream Vendor. Soft drinks and beer, wines etc are cheap from supermarkets. No laundry costs as my wife washes all our laundry by hand just using two buckets. it dries easily in the sun.

A new TV for the kids whilst travelling was also included in out total spend:RollEyes:, and remember last August we were getting an average £1.25 to the Euro, it is even better now.

Hope this helps.......(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Take a look at www.viamichelin.com to find out toll costs, motorhome tolls cost about 50% more than the website shows.

A couple of tolls from memory...
Calais-Paris about 30euros
Paris-Clermont Ferrand about 60euros
Then almost toll free to the Med (millau viaduct, final few miles to coast still cost)

If you're going to do such a road trip, there will inevitably be some 'big' days driving, six hours is only 300miles if you're lucky...

OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
REALLY does Callum. Will pick over it tonight, sounds just like we want! Relieved to hear my budget it not a fantasy at least. Currently the Euro is better, but also fuel is so much cheaper too! Happy days.

We can avoid the coast where possible although would like a few days snorkelling (the kids love it, only ever seen crabs and tiny fish but still) in Croatia. I would like access to a few pools as the boys don't get much chance to learn conventional swimming. Even though they love to surf they don't seem to be strong swimmers.

OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Take a look at www.viamichelin.com to find out toll costs, motorhome tolls cost about 50% more than the website shows.

A couple of tolls from memory...
Calais-Paris about 30euros
Paris-Clermont Ferrand about 60euros
Then almost toll free to the Med (millau viaduct, final few miles to coast still cost)
WOW!, I wasn't expecting that.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Don't forget the Vignette or Go Box for either Austria or Switzerland on the way home.

I can't remember the tolls we paid out (In France) but the total for the trip was around twice the yearly road fund licence in the UK.

I have never complained about the annual UK tax for road fund licence since. (y):D

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The motorways nearly always follow a none toll main road that was there before the M/way. Check out the map, they may be slower but you will see much more of local life.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yes have been dreaming of this all my life! Finally decided to just go for it! I would love to just travel but worry I need to book things. Lakes sound amazing, we live by the beach anyway. We are going for 10 weeks so have time to meander.

Whilst I fully share your opinion of the educational benefits of your planned travels, you might also need to factor in a few £100's for the fines for non attendance when you return after 10 weeks away, it is unlikely the school will authorise such absence

Have a good time though, IMO if you are sticking to sites and planning to pay tolls and eating out every night, you have no chance of doing that for 100 euros / day

OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
pay tolls and eating out every night, you have no chance of doing that for 100 euros / day
No we aren't planning on doing that all the time! Just occasionally, although there aren't any aires in Croatia. I will talk to the head, they tend to be more understanding locally because we are in a tourist area, and everyone needs to have time out in term time. I don't really understand how home schooling is allowed, but taking your kids out for a few weeks is crime. Both my children are top of their class and my husband is a trainee teacher so hoping we can talk them into it!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We went to Croatia 7 years ago and stayed in smaller campsites costing less than 20 Euros a day when the big ones were closer to 70 Euros. We were not impressed with the restaurants - the food was over-priced and nothing worth writing home about - we had better food from the supermarket.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
REALLY does Callum. Will pick over it tonight, sounds just like we want! Relieved to hear my budget it not a fantasy at least. Currently the Euro is better, but also fuel is so much cheaper too! Happy days.

We can avoid the coast where possible although would like a few days snorkelling (the kids love it, only ever seen crabs and tiny fish but still) in Croatia. I would like access to a few pools as the boys don't get much chance to learn conventional swimming. Even though they love to surf they don't seem to be strong swimmers.

You are unlikely to see much sea life in Croatia - anything big enough to be caught in the Adriatic is put in the list - marine life is sparse.

How long are you planning to be away?

Last edited:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Taking the children to experience different cultures, and food is part of that! Will us the MH kitchen enough at breakfast, lunch and on the days we don't eat out!

Of course you/we do or in our case we did they're adults now. However my post was not serious it was simply a sarccy response to the member who's quote I included

OP
OP
RebeccaKristy

RebeccaKristy

Free Member
Jan 27, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
How long are you planning to be away?
Aiming at about 9-10 weeks. Can't leave till 1st July, so can't go longer. It is a shame to be there high season, I'm gonna lose all my pay this year as I clean holiday homes, but trying to reduce the time off at school. It isn't as if they do much in the last 3 weeks of term. When they finish the curriculum which they do tend to early, they just have fun. My eldest is very clever but has social problems with bullying etc. I was hoping that meeting many children from different countries would help him with his body language and social skills, and the travel would give him increased confidence. I am pretty sure his head teacher would agree as he already gets the academic results he needs.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Aiming at about 9-10 weeks. Can't leave till 1st July, so can't go longer. It is a shame to be there high season, I'm gonna lose all my pay this year as I clean holiday homes, but trying to reduce the time off at school. It isn't as if they do much in the last 3 weeks of term. When they finish the curriculum which they do tend to early, they just have fun. My eldest is very clever but has social problems with bullying etc. I was hoping that meeting many children from different countries would help him with his body language and social skills, and the travel would give him increased confidence. I am pretty sure his head teacher would agree as he already gets the academic results he needs.
I would be staggered if the school could authorise 3 weeks off. We usually take the last few days of term off as they do very little and I need to get back to work in mid August - even then, we have had a little grief from those that claim that they boys are missing valuable school time but they tend to go quiet when we explain what the boys were doing when their colleagues were watching DVDs or playing games in class. He is also top of his year and two or three years ahead of his peers in some subjects but I can't see that we would get any more than a week off school without problems this summer.

Many kids will still be at school during the early stage of your trip so I wouldn't have high expectations of them being able to interact with other kids. Our boy 1 had similar issues and he benefited from the holidays but interacting with other children wasn't as big a benefit as we had hoped.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back