Can't make up my mind! Help!! (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Well now, a couple of years or so ago I began to make retirement plans, ie to buy a MH, get a dog and travel to all the places in the UK I'd never had a chance to see...
So, I read the magazines, joined this forum, even went to the NEC & P'boro shows...

And now (semi) retirement is upon me! I have the time, I have the funds but I still am no further forward in my choice of MH.

Apart from knowing the budget, that I want a fixed bed & that it has to be under 6.8m to fit on my drive. Budget has meant buying new is probably just out of reach, and I have learned that buying used would make much more sense anyway.

Lordy! I know not whether I want/need a PVC, a Coach built or an A Class, let alone manufacturer, model or layout... pathetic.

But 2015 is the year I buy a MH (always provided my rental trial doesn't send me screaming for the hills).

I've never spent this amount on one item, and usually have bought cars new as I'm not mechanically minded so the whole thing makes me a tad nervous.

Not knowing what I want makes looking problematic. How I envy those who know the model they want then search the country high & low.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that perhaps I should pick a dealership, and buy whatever they have that fits & feels right.
Nuts ??? ! ??? :wub:

So, I guess I'm looking for a trustworthy reliable dealership who won't see 'mug' plastered across his forehead & knowingly sell me an overpriced lemon. Is that a oxymoron :think:.

Any suggestions ???
Preferably within easy reach of Stamford/Peterborough, though I'm happy to travel.

From what I've read I guess Campers UK would be near the top of the list whilst Brown hills/Lowdhams near the bottom?
Wellsbridge? SMC?

Any personal recommendations? Where to go, who to avoid?

As an example this Burstner at CampersUK looks about right but I'm not quite ready to buy yet - I want to rent one for a week first, make sure I'm not making a huge expensive mistake.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
speak to Peter at John's cross. rent a van from them and they will I believe discount the cost from your subsequent purchase

plus he is a member on here and offers us all a discount, plus great customer feedback

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I think its time for you to pop down to Johns cross and have a word with him I think he will help you out and rent you one as well good luck.
Gary

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Archer, @TheBig1
Certainly John Cross would be on my list, especially if he has something in stock at the right time - but I guess I'd prefer to look a little closer to home, if possible. If not then JC will be the place.
(What I rent is somewhat irrelevant - I just want to make sure I don't scare myself silly driving it, can sleep not disturbed by raindrops or dozy pigeons landing on the roof, and don't gag & completely faint when emptying a cassette - that sort of thing :D)

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As an example this Burstner at CampersUK looks about right but I'm not quite ready to buy yet - I want to rent one for a week first, make sure I'm not making a huge expensive mistake.
That is pretty similar to our 2003 Burstner t625 Harmony, the main difference being that the bed/fridge and washroom/kitchen are on the other sides and ours is on a Fiat Ducato base. We bought it from Camper NE (branch of Camper UK) 3 years and were very pleased with their service.

We've had a couple of damp problems about 18 months and a year ago but got them fixed without breaking the bank and are looking forward to keeping it for many years to come.

Joy (Movan) has a similar van on a Renault base.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
... I just want to make sure I don't scare myself silly driving it, can sleep not disturbed by raindrops or dozy pigeons landing on the roof, and don't gag & completely faint when emptying a cassette - that sort of thing :D)
All those things happen to me and it doesn't put me off!
I think living in a confined space with your other half while it pours with rain outside for the third successive day is the true test of whether you will take to motorhoming. Add in a wet, barely house-trained dog and still come out smiling and you know you are going to enjoy it!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you've raised kids through the nappy and potty training stage, then the cassette toilet emptying is pleasant by comparison. as for rain/pigeons on the roof, I actually find the sound of rain quite soothing.
if the bed is comfortable, you dont worry about the external sounds when asleep. much the same as having the bedroom window at home open of a summers night

dont go inventing too many things to worry about and I am certain you will love being in a motorhome.

nearly forgot, hire a large van to get used to driving a motorhome, its much cheaper. after the first couple of miles it just becomes as natural as driving a large car

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
if you've raised kids through the nappy and potty training stage, then the cassette toilet emptying is pleasant by comparison.

Nope :sick: !

I'm fairly certain I'll be comfortable with all things - but I feel its wise to take an extended test run before parting with £30k, and it might just throw up some I'm not willing to compromise over.

@DevonBeekeeper - no other half, but I can hardly wait for the barely house (van?) trained wet dog experience :LOL:.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Both or nothing
P1010023.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Weeeell, based on thebig1's advice about hiring a large van... I suppose borrowing 2 dogs might similarly apply :).
They look adorable, happy smiling faces, lying peaceably by the fire... butter wouldn't melt eh.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hey Langoftlad, you just take your time making the right selection for YOU, apparently, statistically most owners don't get it right until their third van.:eek:

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Crikey, those two look like a bunch of fun!
They are a bunch of fun, believe me..... Lovely really friendly couple of dogs.

It took us a few goes to get it right but the rental experience was vital before we even started. First one was a rear lounge which was ok but had quality issues. Second one was a dinette rear kitchen which Mrs Deluxe hated and the current van is a Pilote A class which is almost perfect. Loads of room for humans and dogs.

Having said that, there are other layouts we like but we are restricted to about 7 metres max

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Thoughts please on:
CampersUK
Wellsbridge
SMC
et al ?

I see John Cross has a Rapido 707 which "would do" if it were a couple of k cheaper. Hmm

Upvote 0

Printermick

Free Member
Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
Hi

We are from Peterborough, so pretty near you, if you like you can come for a coffee and talk over our experiences. Great idea to hire before you buy and look at a lot of vans before you decide.

We bought from Brownhills and still think we got a good deal. Peterborough and Lincoln shows should be on your list if you can make them.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have the perfect van for you apart from one thing the lenght as ours is 7.37m long and might be coming up for sale soon if we find the new one we think we want
Our current van is a 2010 Adria Matrix 680sp with loads of extras.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Ralph-n-Bev @lorger
Nice sales pitch guys (y) but unfortunately both vans are too long.
I don't think I'm looking to buy privately (but you never know) because of my practical ineptitude, I think I'd prefer to buy from a reliable dealer in-case anything isn't working properly...

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Nothing wrong with buying privately,

Get a habitation check done from a "reputable dealer" and go over any van with a fine tooth comb, ours had a problem with the Truma not working on gas so that was rectified before we found out the hard / cold way.

If you can, take someone with you for an unbiased second opinion and be prepared to wait and to travel for the right van.

We looked at Camper UK and found them to be very helpful unlike some of the other local one's!

We decided the layout we wanted, checked out all the different manufacturers on quality etc, and I didn't want a white van so it made the search relatively easy

Andy

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
statistically most owners don't get it right until their third van
We had a good look round before buying our first van and thought we had just what we needed. It turned out that actual usage differed from expected somewhat but we were happy with it for 5 years or so before we decided we wanted something different. With more experience we drew up a Link Removed before looking for our second van. That was a great help and we are more than happy after having had it for 3 years.

Upvote 0

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Motor homes have more to do with who owned them before, rather than the dealer, although a good dealer will give you better after sales, try to find a van that has been "loved" ours had not been, but I have enjoyed bringing it back to being the Motorhome it should have been.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back