New radio required. (2 Viewers)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Can anyone recommend a replacement radio for an '04 Peugeot Boxer which will just slot in place, preferably with a remote control. If anyone has upgraded theirs did they have any problems regarding adapter cables etc? Where is best to buy from these days? Thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't say what features you want or how much you want to spend. Any stereo with a DVD will normally have a remote control.
If you don't want to spend much JVC are good value they have quite a few units under £200, if looking to spend a bit more have a look at Kenwood or Clarion, I've never been impressed with Pioneer a bit overrated.
Fitting should be straight forward your van probably has standard ISO connectors so should plug straight in, if not adaptors easily available, only thing you might need to do is swap the power & ACC power feeds over (Yellow & Red wires).

I brought my Clarion from ARS 24 a large German company I saved over a 100 quid on UK prices.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Personally I'd go to Halfords, good selection and anything you buy will plug straight in.

Cheers. Nige

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I recently bought a Sony from Halfords £99.00 DAB radio CD player USB remote control geat bit of kit. (y) DAB useless driving but ok parked then its the same in the car if I want radio I use FM not convinced on DAB

Just thought I did have to buy a new cable off internet as my 2000 van cable wasn't compatible less than a £5.00

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Can anyone recommend a replacement radio for an '04 Peugeot Boxer which will just slot in place, preferably with a remote control. If anyone has upgraded theirs did they have any problems regarding adapter cables etc? Where is best to buy from these days? Thanks.
I believe your van has an industry standard "Din plug" which nearly all aftermarket radios have.
As a previous poster said, halfords or even Argos is a good bet. You choose the features yourself. Bluetooth is good, some now have a full mobile phone car kit built in which is good. Yes for MH, remote control is good.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I recently bought a Sony from Halfords £99.00 DAB radio CD player USB remote control geat bit of kit. (y) DAB useless driving but ok parked then its the same in the car if I want radio I use FM not convinced on DAB

Just thought I did have to buy a new cable off internet as my 2000 van cable wasn't compatible less than a £5.00

Must be your radio or aerial, on my Clarion DAB is brilliant never use FM now and only have the passive stick on screen aerial that came with the unit, even pick up UK station around Calais.
If you want good DAB performance you do need to spend a bit more a minimum of 250-300 quid, you get what you pay for, the DAB adaptor for my Clarion cost more than your radio.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I believe your van has an industry standard "Din plug" which nearly all aftermarket radios have.
As a previous poster said, halfords or even Argos is a good bet. You choose the features yourself. Bluetooth is good, some now have a full mobile phone car kit built in which is good. Yes for MH, remote control is good.
DIN went out with the ark they all use ISO connectors now, some may still have a DIN aerial connector.:)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Try caraudiocentre.co.uk, some good Bargains on there I got a Kenwood unit off them as a direct replacement for the radio in a 10 reg Peugeot, just one thing though, if you have controls on the steering wheel for volume, channels etc, you need an adaptor at a cost of ~ £80. I didn't bother with that, the volume control on the radio is close enough to operate by hand:LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Try caraudiocentre.co.uk, some good Bargains on there I got a Kenwood unit off them as a direct replacement for the radio in a 10 reg Peugeot, just one thing though, if you have controls on the steering wheel for volume, channels etc, you need an adaptor at a cost of ~ £80. I didn't bother with that, the volume control on the radio is close enough to operate by hand:LOL:
Caraudio centre prices are quite good prices nearly brought from them until I found my unit £120 cheaper from ARS24.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I recently bought a Sony from Halfords £99.00 DAB radio CD player USB remote control geat bit of kit. (y) DAB useless driving but ok parked then its the same in the car if I want radio I use FM not convinced on DAB QUOTE]

I have a Sony DAB/FM/AM /CD player and after fitting a quality Roof aerial from dabonwheels the DAB reception has been surperb, I often listen to LBC/Magic/heart/ radio 3/4 as far north as the Scottish borders
And west to the Welsh borders, but using the useless stick on aerial supplied with the radio I would be lucky to get LBC a London station anywhere outside the M25,

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I just bought a "Mechless" ALPINE Digital Media Receiver with Bluetooth for the van the other day. It has no CD player, (who carts CD's around these days, that's the music equivalent of taking books instead of a Kindle in your van), but has FM, AM and LW radio, (No DAB) as I have found DAB rubbish on the move and non existing when touring abroad.

It connects to any Bluetooth device, phone tablet, sat nav, etc. It has a front USB port and an auxiliary in so you can connect almost anything, play music from a USB stick. It also has a microphone supplied so it makes your van stereo a hands free system. It pairs with my iPhone and my full phone directory is available on the stereo. The hands free sound is very clear.

I fitted it in 10 minutes. It comes with leads which plug straight into the existing van ISO plug. (2009 Boxer).
Sound quality is excellent even with the existing van speakers which I intend to upgrade.
I paid £69.99 which also included a free auxiliary cable to plug into the front Aux socket.
On this model remote is an extra, however it can be connected to the existing steering wheel controls.
If you are driving on your own I find these stereo remotes supplied as dangerous to use as using your phone.

productpic_UTE-72BT_01.jpg

http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/digital-media-receiver-4660/ute-72bt

(y)(y)(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
DAB is not rubbish on the move, it was not very good in the early days, but now it is very good far better than FM.
Do not expect to get good DAB performance if you buy a cheap unit but if you spend a few hundred quid you with pleased with the result.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
DAB is not rubbish on the move, it was not very good in the early days, but now it is very good far better than FM.
Do not expect to get good DAB performance if you buy a cheap unit but if you spend a few hundred quid you with pleased with the result.

Why "spend a few hundred quid" when I can already connect to any Radio station I like, and listen to it in digital quality through my car stereo.

All for the cost of £0.00...............................

Deleted User
If you want an adaptor for the steering wheel controls then try this company Broken Link Removed
I got an adaptor harness for the radio and with the steering wheel control for about £25.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Why "spend a few hundred quid" when I can already connect to any Radio station I like, and listen to it in digital quality through my car stereo.

All for the cost of £0.00...............................

FM is not digital and quality is rubbish compared to DAB and your choice of stations is limited, you were knocking DAB and I was pointing out you need to spend a bit of money to get a decent DAB radio.
I'm not suggesting everyone goes & ditches their existing radio if they are happy with it, but if you are replacing a unit it is worth spending a few more bob to get something that works well.
I started out looking at units of £250-£300 in end decided I wanted something that worked well and got rid of the clutter on the dash so brought a unit with satnav, large screen so I could feed the reversing & rear view cameras into it, a nice neat solution cost double what I was looking at to start with but much less than the budget I had in mind.

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
FM is not digital and quality is rubbish compared to DAB and your choice of stations is limited, you were knocking DAB and I was pointing out you need to spend a bit of money to get a decent DAB radio.

I was not talking about FM radio Lenny.

I can listen to over 100,000 real radio stations from around the world, playing live sports, news, talk and music, so my choice is not limited, in fact it is vastly greater than DAB, and the sound through my van's stereo system whilst driving is more than good enough for me.

I can also play radio through my Bose system but the speakers are in not in the cab so I use the van stereo whilst on the move..

Again cost £0.00...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was not talking about FM radio Lenny.

I can listen to over 100,000 real radio stations from around the world, playing live sports, news, talk and music, so my choice is not limited, in fact it is vastly greater than DAB, and the sound through my van's stereo system whilst driving is more than good enough for me.

I can also play radio through my Bose system but the speakers are in not in the cab so I use the van stereo whilst on the move..

Again cost £0.00...
You did say through your car stereo.:D
In that case what about the cost of the satellite system to get your digital reception? or are you free loading on the net? If so there is the cost of the PC to take into account.:D
Can you still listen to your digital channels when driving?

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You did say through your car stereo.:D
In that case what about the cost of the satellite system to get your digital reception? or are you free loading on the net? If so there is the cost of the PC to take into account.:D
Can you still listen to your digital channels when driving?

Yes, you are quite correct I did say "through" my car stereo.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "freeloading" on the net. No PC is required, that's what my phone is for, and yes you can listen whilst driving.

I used the same method to listen to TMS whilst touring throughout Europe last summer.

As I already owned a phone, the cost is still £0.00....::bigsmile:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes, you are quite correct I did say "through" my car stereo.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "freeloading" on the net. No PC is required, that's what my phone is for, and yes you can listen whilst driving.

I used the same method to listen to TMS whilst touring throughout Europe last summer.

As I already owned a phone, the cost is still £0.00....::bigsmile:

A bit expensive if you are in a country where you have to pay for data.:D

Deleted User
I find DAB reception to vary vastly depending upon where you are and where I live it is pretty poor. The technology used by DAB is quite old and the opinion of a lot of folk is that digital radio could have been much better.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A bit expensive if you are in a country where you have to pay for data.:D

No data charges in UK and that's why 3 "Feel at Home" is wonderful.

It has worked a treat for us listening to UK radio in France, Italy, Austria and Switzerland last summer, and from April, Spain will be included, and unlike DAB you can still listen to all your favourite UK stations whilst abroad.(y)(y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I just bought a "Mechless" ALPINE Digital Media Receiver with Bluetooth for the van the other day. It has no CD player, (who carts CD's around these days, that's the music equivalent of taking books instead of a Kindle in your van), but has FM, AM and LW radio, (No DAB) as I have found DAB rubbish on the move and non existing when touring abroad.

(y)(y)(y)

Have to agree in my car and motorhome total crap when driving brilliant when parked.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Last year I fitted a top of the range DAB Kenwood with a roof mounted very expensive antenna. Never failed to get reception in UK even in remote Mid Wales very, very pleased. BUT beware the Kenwood remote switches OFF but doesn't switch ON. I have to boot the wife out of bed and she has to crawl under the drop down bed if I want to hear the today programme LOL

Dick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back