dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
not the little ones where you can still see daylight at the end, but the longer ones..

is it possible to drive from calais down to the south of portugal and avoid the longer ones..
i only ask because these petrify me being a total claustrophobe..
am missing out on so much and places that i would like to visit before i pop my clogs..

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
yes by using the old roads,still some tunnels but not to long,we came back this way as Diane is put of by them and high bridges, and the scenery is better,

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
really appreciate the reply, thank you.. :)

when you say not too long, how long might they be? something that you could drive through in a minute or so, or less?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
From Memory.....
Going mostly non toll roads through France to The Spanish border at Irun, I can only think of the one just before Rouen. That should be easy enough to go around.
You have probably read stories of the somport tunnel but there is no need to use that route into Spain, especially when going to Portugal..

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
thank you tonka.. :)
and no i haven't read the stories on the somport tunnel, sounds from the way you've written it that i really need to avoid that one..
have never wanted a satnav, but think maybe i should now think about getting one..
have always got by with maps and planning a simple route that way..
can they be set to avoid things like tunnels?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You aren't the only one who doesn't like enclosed spaces @dryad I don't like the Tyne Tunnel even though we use it regularly.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
thank you tonka.. :)
and no i haven't read the stories on the somport tunnel, sounds from the way you've written it that i really need to avoid that one..
have never wanted a satnav, but think maybe i should now think about getting one..
have always got by with maps and planning a simple route that way..
can they be set to avoid things like tunnels?

Not sure... But dont think I have ever seen that option...
Correct you would not like Someport, think its something like 12km or more in length.. :)

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
it's a bit more than not liking puddleduck, it's a total panic making phobia, but hopefully, this thread will be useful to others too with the same problem..
i will and do, drive the whole of the m25 to avoid the dartford tunnel to get into essex from kent, yes, maybe stupid, but that's how it is..thankfully bridges aren't a problem..
have tried various solutions to get over this, nothing to date has worked..

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
it's a bit more than not liking puddleduck, it's a total panic making phobia, but hopefully, this thread will be useful to others too with the same problem..
i will and do, drive the whole of the m25 to avoid the dartford tunnel to get into essex from kent, yes, maybe stupid, but that's how it is..thankfully bridges aren't a problem..
have tried various solutions to get over this, nothing to date has worked..

Nowt stupid about that D, me it's heights despite former life dropping out of perfectly serviceable aircraft. Can't abide heights of any sort so we plan, as you are planning, to avoid them! (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a total claustrophobe....

You definitely need to avoid one of the Dan Brown books where a stone coffin falls on our hero and it describes him in there unable to lift it and in a bit stressed out.

Made me feel uneasy.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
me it's heights despite former life dropping out of perfectly serviceable aircraft. Can't abide heights

Similar here, aerobatics I used to love, not at all bothered about spinning around with the ground rushing up, but on ladder, I really have to force myself. Painted the gable end this year, must have lost pounds doing it.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Similar here, aerobatics I used to love, not at all bothered about spinning around with the ground rushing up, but on ladder, I really have to force myself. Painted the gable end this year, must have lost pounds doing it.

We've got a bungalow and even I can manage to re-felt the garage flat roof........just!:D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If going to Portugal you should be OK if you head directly for the South but at all costs avoid the main road going along the north coast of Spain. It is a most impressive bit of engineering, tunnel to viaduct to tunnel to another viaduct and so on in some places. They are very proud of the road and tell you in advance exactly how long each tunnel or span is going to be to the nearest metre!

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
if you come into Portugal Rio Formoso on the A22(tollroad) there are 2 1st is 534mtr 2nd 138mtrs but you can get round both on the old road, there is an aire at Rio Formoso just inside border, 5e or 6,50e with electric,

A,

OP
OP
dryad

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
thank you everyone for the helpful comments and advice, believe me, it is really appreciated..

don't know if this was daft, but had a lazy day yesterday so spent an hour or so looking at youtubes of driving through tunnels to try and get used to the feeling of being in them, but at a distance if you see what i mean, while doing the 'tapping' technique thing that i was shown by a therapist..
don't think it helped at all, had horrible nightmares last night..:eek:
but it would make travelling so much easier to get over this phobia..

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
If going to Portugal you should be OK if you head directly for the South but at all costs avoid the main road going along the north coast of Spain. It is a most impressive bit of engineering, tunnel to viaduct to tunnel to another viaduct and so on in some places. They are very proud of the road and tell you in advance exactly how long each tunnel or span is going to be to the nearest metre!

I love driving along that road , it always brings a smile to my face, fantastic scenery, fantastic engineering.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
My boys love the tunnels.

They always play a game holding their breath to see who can last the whole length of the tunnel, or for the longest time, (they cheat as well).

Anyhow they came unstuck though when we did the Mt Blanc tunnel the other year....

tunnel-du-mont-blanc-signs.jpg

:LOL::LOL:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
...have never wanted a satnav...can they be set to avoid things like tunnels?
To the best of my knowledge you can't get a satnav which will avoid tunnels but happy to be proved wrong if anyone knows of one. You can set them to avoid tolls and this would take you away from any tunnels with a toll but for normal tunnels which you may come across almost anywhere they don't have this oiption. I have read that someone did it using Nokia maps and a smart phone but I don't know the detail - but it wasn't as straightforward as using a satnav.

I can only suggest getting maps of around 1:200K or better and check your proposed route for the day carefully. There are for example one or two longish tunnels on the motorway above Malaga I seem to remember, but they were shown on the map so avoidable.

You wouldn't go sailing off into the ocean in a yacht or flying an aircraft without working out a detailed course first so you just need to do the same in your MH. Could be fun as it will take you to less visited places I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back