LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have previously been restricted to trips no longer than 3 weeks during the summer but as exam result dates are likely to be pushed back a week for 2016, we will have a month to get to and from Greece next year.

According to Google, it would take 33 hours to drive to Athens via Germany, Slovenia, Croatia, Albania etc. - how long has it taken you? We have driven to Croatia in the past so are happy to get down to Dubrovnik quickly but thought that we might spend a little time looking around Montenegro, Albania and / Serbia / Macedonia on the way to or from Greece. What route would you take and is it worth doing a circular route down the coast and back through Serbia or vice versa? Or would you go via Italy?

My boys are interested in the Classics so we would probably spend more time getting to temples etc. than aiming for the best beaches. If we didn't get to Athens, what archaeological sites would you rate as the most impressive and worth visiting on the Greek mainland?

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
I'd definitely go via Italy...cheapish ferries from Ancona , Bari or Brindisi to Patras....although diesel is expensive in Italy.

The main no no for me re going through Albania , Serbia etc is that no UK insurance company [to my knowledge] will give you a green card for those countries..a clue there maybe! You can buy local insurance at the border but I wonder how easy it would be to actually claim in the event of a problem.

The most interesting site we have visited is Mystras...as with most "sites" best to arrive as soon as it opens first thing in the morning and leave before the sun and tourist buses arrive

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'd definitely go via Italy...cheapish ferries from Ancona , Bari or Brindisi to Patras....although diesel is expensive in Italy.

The main no no for me re going through Albania , Serbia etc is that no UK insurance company [to my knowledge] will give you a green card for those countries..a clue there maybe! You can buy local insurance at the border but I wonder how easy it would be to actually claim in the event of a problem.

The most interesting site we have visited is Mystras...as with most "sites" best to arrive as soon as it opens first thing in the morning and leave before the sun and tourist buses arrive

Thanks for this. This is giving us thoughts of driving there via Italy and returning along the coast through Albania etc. We bought insurance for Bosnia 7 years ago and it was pretty painless but will check out issues with buying and claiming to see if Albania and Montenegro are any worse (we didn't have make any claim in Bosnia but we didn't think to check how easy it would be - thanks for the tip).

I have been thinking of driving either there or back via Sarajevo if we have time - it is an amazing city and Bosnia & H is a fascinating country. The boys will, however, be pleased if we went via Italy as Rome is on their "to do" list.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Sounds like a great trip!

One item worth getting before you go is one of these...

All the Greek campsites we visited still used the two pin system....still universal there I understand.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Drove to Greece via Croatia, Montengro and Albania last year. Fabulous journey. Bought insurance at the Montenegro and Albanian borders - only 3rd party. Probably not worth the paper it's written on but decided not to risk not having it in case we were stopped.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Sounds like a great trip!

One item worth getting before you go is one of these...

All the Greek campsites we visited still used the two pin system....still universal there I understand.
Thanks; we bought one last year but haven't used it yet - we have rarely used hookups but suspect that we will need it in Greece in August, at least for a fan if we can't get enough shade.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Drove to Greece via Croatia, Montengro and Albania last year. Fabulous journey. Bought insurance at the Montenegro and Albanian borders - only 3rd party. Probably not worth the paper it's written on but decided not to risk not having it in case we were stopped.
How long did you take to get down there? How does Montenegro compare to Croatia? Albania, is apparently, like nothing else in Europe.

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Last year we drove to Greece via Croatia, Montenegro and Albania and returned via Macedonia [ Lake Ohrid], Albania [Lake Shkoder] really enjoyed the trip and we could not have been made more welcome , the return route was easier as the roads were a lot better. I cannot advise on insurance as I have Spanish insurance on my van which cover all these countries but did see others buying insurance at the border crossings.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Is that a month all in including time in Greece....sorry but seems a bit ambitious and your not going to have enough time to give anywhere justice.... I did it 40 years ago and got as far as Crere but that was a four month trip.....

I would get ferry from Italy both ways.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Is that a month all in including time in Greece....sorry but seems a bit ambitious and your not going to have enough time to give anywhere justice.... I did it 40 years ago and got as far as Crere but that was a four month trip.....

I would get ferry from Italy both ways.

Yes, one month to get there and back. Next summer will be the only opportunity to do this while I have my current job. I believe that I could get to Split in two long days and was thinking of taking 4 days to get to Northern Greece through Montenegro and Albania and the same leaving Greece, via Macedonia and Serbia and home. That would leave two weeks in the middle to explore Greece minus a day or two in Bosnia. It would be hectic and only give a snapshot of the places on the journey but I may change my mind and go via Italy both ways and save a week of travelling

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
How long did you take to get down there? How does Montenegro compare to Croatia? Albania, is apparently, like nothing else in Europe.
Albania is errr................. different, but the people are very friendly and the scenery, especially in the south, is stunning. Some of the roads left a lot to be desired though. We have a spreadsheet detailing our journey. If you would like a copy PM me your email address.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
PM sent - thanks @The Dude . I was once paid to write a report about the environmental issues in the Med which included information on Albania - I would be intrigued to find out what it looks like on the ground.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
While we have a 150bhp panel van and push on and I often drive all day, we can get to med Spain with 2 overnights, italy likewise but Split in 2 days a bit of a stretch to be honest!lol your plan reminds me of the closing credits of a Benny hill show....

Just think you would need a holiday to get over it!:)

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
While we have a 150bhp panel van and push on and I often drive all day, we can get to med Spain with 2 overnights, italy likewise but Split in 2 days a bit of a stretch to be honest!lol your plan reminds me of the closing credits of a Benny hill show....

Just think you would need a holiday to get over it!:)

I drove from Split to the Italian lakes in around 9 hours on our return journey (I was in a bit of strop, having been fined 30Euros for not having my driving lights on at 12 noon on a bright August day) and we felt pretty good on arrival and the next day. I wouldn't want to do it often but we could do a great deal of the distance in 2 days with two of us driving and then take a slower pace from Dubrovnik onwards.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
P.s. We drove this escape from Croatia in our Bongo - more comfortable etc. than our PVC but we didn't push the speed beyond 70 mph for much of the journey (we were actually about 1 hour north of Split and stopped around 30 mins south of the lakes). We will be a bit slower in the mh but am guessing that we could do 600 miles in a long day.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
fair comment..2 drivers makes all the difference.:) I have yet to master the art of sleeping with one eye open with wife driving!lol

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
fair comment..2 drivers makes all the difference.:) I have yet to master the art of sleeping with one eye open with wife driving!lol

I can sleep while SWMBO drives but I am still struggling to encourage her to be gentle with her right foot and hate waking up with my teeth in the dash board because her heavy right foot has slammed on the anchors ... I tried suggesting anticipating the obstacles ahead but after she removed her heavy right foot from between my legs, I sensed that she didn't appreciate that comment.

I am, however, grateful that I can feel very refreshed after power naps and the family are used to staying quiet etc. while I have a nap in a service station / aire.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We did it a few years ago, would visit Delfi and the near by ruins and the Corinth Canal, there are some wonderful places to visit. I have said this on Fun before others may disagree but we have been to Athens three times and I have said I would never go again, never felt so unsafe, urine in the streets smell was horrible police with guns everywhere even the Royal Park was run down and scruffy lots of graffiti. Enjoyed the rest of main land Greece.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It looks like the trip is becoming a reality. What are the camping facilities like on the mainland? Are there many sites? Is wildcamping tolerated?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We did a Greece trip last year we had just under 7 weeks, 4 spent on Greek mainland and it was nowhere near long enough.
We took the easy route via ferry from Ancona, 22 hour crossing but saves over a 1000 miles.

Link to thread on my trip.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
It looks like the trip is becoming a reality. What are the camping facilities like on the mainland? Are there many sites? Is wildcamping tolerated?

Excellent !

Our experience of sites on the mainland is limited to the Peloponnese...can recommend some very good sites if you are planning to go there.

I think wild camping is widely tolerated in out of the way places out of season but becomes more difficult as the season gets busier. I'd try and avoid the first three weeks in August in particular...Athens heads for the beach then!

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Excellent !

Our experience of sites on the mainland is limited to the Peloponnese...can recommend some very good sites if you are planning to go there.

I think wild camping is widely tolerated in out of the way places out of season but becomes more difficult as the season gets busier. I'd try and avoid the first three weeks in August in particular...Athens heads for the beach then!

Thanks. Unfortunately, the first three weeks of August is when we would be there. It is looking as though we will have to change our plans - travelling there during the hottest months and peak season isn't sounding as fun as we would like but we're up for it another time.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Campercontact shows a few campsites. The ones near Delphi have good reviews, not so the ones at Athens!

Did you see the Simon Reeve programmes about Greece recently? A lot of anger in Athens. Elsewhere should be fine.

Edit: Just seen your post above. If/when you decide to go you can get insurance for Albania and Bosnia from Saga if you buy their Green Card.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Campercontact shows a few campsites. The ones near Delphi have good reviews, not so the ones at Athens!

Did you see the Simon Reeve programmes about Greece recently? A lot of anger in Athens. Elsewhere should be fine.

Edit: Just seen your post above. If/when you decide to go you can get insurance for Albania and Bosnia from Saga if you buy their Green Card.

Thanks. I saw some of SR's programmes - I could do with watching them again.

Any idea how much the Saga insurance costs compared to getting it at the border? Do you have to be over 50 to get Saga insurance?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks. I saw some of SR's programmes - I could do with watching them again.

Any idea how much the Saga insurance costs compared to getting it at the border? Do you have to be over 50 to get Saga insurance?
Yes over 50 only I'm afraid if your just a nipper. But don't worry, Saga will write to you on your fiftieth!

Can't comment on cost comparison but I suspect it will be cheaper at the border.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yes over 50 only I'm afraid if your just a nipper. But don't worry, Saga will write to you on your fiftieth!

Can't comment on cost comparison but I suspect it will be cheaper at the border.

I don't qualify for Saga just yet ... Nearly ;)

We bought insurance for Bosnia 8 years ago and it cost something like €30 for 15 days and was easy to get. We only needed insurance for a few days but 15 was the minimum they sold. I'd like to spend more time exploring the country next time.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just done a run through on Viamichelin.
Calais to Ancona is (apparently) 980mls of which 920 is motorway. Thats through Switzerland.
I did a price check on the ferry just yesterday, and, booking it early and using the 'Camping' provision on board (where they give you a cabin and give 30% off the price of food worked out at under £400. For us it worked out at £330ish but we're wrinklies and get a further discount.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp

Rang Saga the other day as I have their insurance, I am covered for all the countries but not Montenegro, but they don't supply greencards

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Am in Holland at the moment, but am travelling to Prague and then to Split and on to Albania and Greece. 7 glorious months

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back