Moving house problems so we may need to live in MH for a bit, very many questions so help please. (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We are in a chain that's complete except for the very top, looks as though their solicitor has just sent out searches!
Our agent says we can break the chain and live in rented, with friends or family until the chain completes but all this seems a bit daft as we have a perfectly good MH ( well it is a Swift:LOL:) sitting in storage. Also as we have a dog this complicates sharing homes.
I'm contacting the people we are buying from to see if they could do it easier but I don't hold out much hope there.

Our MH is not winterised in the Continental van sense so this being winter I'm looking for tips on how we can safely live in the MH during the bad weather.
Is it best not to fill the fresh water tank at all and just rely on site facilites? Also what about the toilet with a separate tank, would that be advisable?

I've probably got lots of niggly points in the back of my mind, just can't think of any more ATM.
I'm sure you lot will raise lots of points!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I live in my van all year round. Your fresh tank and toilet are inside your van which means providing you keep your heating on your won't have any problems.

If your waste tank is underslung it may freeze occasionally. Mine are underslung and not insulated and it only froze over night a few times but defrosted during the day. No problems.

I would just keep your heating on and deal with any issues as they arise.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our MH is not winterised in the Continental van sense so this being winter I'm looking for tips on how we can safely live in the MH during the bad weather.!

The obvious solution is, if possible, avoid the bad weather, follow the sensible FUNsters and head south.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I live in my van all year round. Your fresh tank and toilet are inside your van which means providing you keep your heating on your won't have any problems.

If your waste tank is underslung it may freeze occasionally. Mine are underslung and not insulated and it only froze over night a few times but defrosted during the day. No problems.

I would just keep your heating on and deal with any issues as they arise.
I'm not really sure if our fresh tank is not under slung as well, must have a look.

The obvious solution is, if possible, avoid the bad weather, follow the sensible FUNsters and head south.
That would great except for the fact that we would still have to complete our purchase and all our stuff would be in storage, very expensive.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are living in the van you should have no problems unless it gets a lot colder than it is now, we lived in our caravan in between houses and at -10 we still did not freeze up and the water tank was underslung.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I lived in mine through 2 winters and had no Robles. The fresh water tank was under a seat so I kept it full,thinking it would have to get very cold to freeze 100 litres of water. Loo was fine. In fact I had no problems at all.
As I stayed on C&CC sites I kept a heater on all the time and we ( dogs, cats & I ) were very toasty.

I'd say go for it.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Looks like this is very feasible then, why couldn't we have moved in the spring?:)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
As long as you have hook up run a fan heater during the day have carbon monoxideg detector working give it go for a week set it up in your garden like you would when away.
chose the coldest days you can the worst weather if you can't cope in your garden you wont cope any where.
While in the van camping out try not to use house facility's use man hole to dump your casket outside tap for water.
if after a few days getting it all sorted in your garden go a bit further a field Use next doors drive or a family member go to a site near you for a few days
it's surprising how you will adapt.
We can give you all the advice but it's your van and only you know what is best and works for you.
And the most important thing have fun when on your adventure
bill

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Why not indeed(y) Hollyberry and Gromett have given practical advice, and in spring it will be even less of an issue :D

(and HB...just saw his post)

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
As long as you have hook up run a fan heater during the day have carbon monoxideg detector working give it go for a week set it up in your garden like you would when away.
chose the coldest days you can the worst weather if you can't cope in your garden you wont cope any where.
While in the van camping out try not to use house facility's use man hole to dump your casket outside tap for water.
if after a few days getting it all sorted in your garden go a bit further a field Use next doors drive or a family member go to a site near you for a few days
it's surprising how you will adapt.
We can give you all the advice but it's your van and only you know what is best and works for you.
And the most important thing have fun when on your adventure
bill

We would be on EHU, why would you use a seperate fan heater and not the Truma Combi on electric only?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would be very surprised if your fresh water is underslung. It is usually under one of the seats if you don't have a double floor model.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I would be very surprised if your fresh water is underslung. It is usually under one of the seats if you don't have a double floor model.
The brochure calls it "an underfloor insulated fresh water tank".

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We own a campsite and I would be that if I looked at the campsite software at anytime we have half a dozen or so caravans and motorhomes booked on on 28 day pitches as their between sales or have completed soas not to loose their sale, but waiting to complete on their purchase.

So yes, it's a good idea, your not alones and lots of people do it!

Eddie

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Probably best to use a campsite who will take mail for you as well - unless you want to redirect everything to a relative or your solicitor, who may charge!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The brochure calls it "an underfloor insulated fresh water tank".
Underfloor insulated - just what you need.
Underslung uninsulated would not be good good.

Possibly use the time on site to do some winterising - insulating the waste tank, consider a heating unit if funds allow to stop it freezing etc. See what works best and then be ready for lots of trips in cooler times.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Probably best to use a campsite who will take mail for you as well - unless you want to redirect everything to a relative or your solicitor, who may charge!
Thanks.
I'm now investigating fitting water heating elements to the fresh and waste tanks. Just saw your post Mattyjwr, cheers!

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
In the UK it really is not a problem........ if you are worried it would be simpler and cheaper to use salt in the waste tank
A point to Remember salt only works down to -7 ,but a good and cheap tip.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you are staying in one place a skirt wrapped around the van may help to reduce undefloor heat losses and also keep any under slung tanks warmer.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I'd still go with a fan heater and/or oil filled radiator rather than the Truma - just to save wear and tear on the Truma, especially long term.

Joe
when I used to work away from home and lived in my van for two years I used a fan hetter

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
We lived in our motor home for 11 months during a house move and took to the long term living quite well. The house sale was a bit of a 'mare but made easier by having access to our MH. We did have internal tanks etc but come December we still ran south until April. However, I don't think not having external tanks would be a problem - if the weather is freezing then keep water containers inside the van, flush toilet with a squirty bottle of water (old fairy liquid bottle is very effective and we still use this to swish round the bowl, saves loads of water), salt down the drain helps in all but coldest weather. The days you need a shower can be overcome with a cup shower.

And on and on. Go for it, you'll find a way around problems and it's all part of the fun.

Good luck with things going more swiftly from now on :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just how do you imagine the travelling community manage in winter? its a state of mind living in a motorhome/caravan in winter. of course it is do-able and as comfortable as you wish to make it.
personally the coldest weather i have experienced in a van was -15, and it did no harm, very cosy in fact. you just adapt and learn to only open the door briefly when you have to. like taking the dog/s out for a walk

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Thanks for all the replies people. After a good read and more research on all the tips and advice given here I'm raring to go, almost hoping that we do have to live in the MH, which is plain ridiculous!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Like others we lived in ours for 6 months between houses no problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back