Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hello everyone I have just bought a small satalite dish, Its only a small dish that has the easy find on it, I have s Avtek TV that had a built in satalite receiver in it and I've been told that I can plug the dish directly into my TV delete the satalite mode, and when I press the tune button I do get a red light on the easy tune satalite dish, which looks like it's searching for something, I believe that th Astra 2 satalite is at 28.3 degrees so I ppimt it in that direction and start to move it around so the easy find light shows yellow and then green indicating I have a strong signal? I've now tried for most of the day searching not only the Sky at 28 degrees but probebly the most of the sky in the UK! :) Am I missing something as all I've see all day is a red light and I'm starting to think I've bought a bad system. Myste also has the same TV and dish and we are both doing the same as each other and he also can't get a yellow or green light?

Cheers Strve :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thats 28 Degrees EAST OF SOUTH... you know. :)
Not just 28 degrees on a compass....

:) so just check that it is looking somewhere in the right direction.
Not familiar with the Avtex built in sat or the dish you have..
Sure someone will be along to help..
hope you get it sorted..

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just as a general guide Astra 2 is roughly in the direction of the sun at about 10.00 am if you have buildings or trees in that general direction then you need to move

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
Hello everyone I have just bought a small satalite dish, Its only a small dish that has the easy find on it, I have s Avtek TV that had a built in satalite receiver in it and I've been told that I can plug the dish directly into my TV delete the satalite mode, and when I press the tune button I do get a red light on the easy tune satalite dish, which looks like it's searching for something, I believe that th Astra 2 satalite is at 28.3 degrees so I ppimt it in that direction and start to move it around so the easy find light shows yellow and then green indicating I have a strong signal? I've now tried for most of the day searching not only the Sky at 28 degrees but probebly the most of the sky in the UK! :) Am I missing something as all I've see all day is a red light and I'm starting to think I've bought a bad system. Myste also has the same TV and dish and we are both doing the same as each other and he also can't get a yellow or green light?

Cheers Strve :)

When you have a signal you need to do a full scan with the avtex tv

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
The dish itself should also be in an almost vertical position as well I believe. I'm not suggesting you are, but I have seen some people pointing the face of the dish into the sky at 45 degrees.
Just for info, there are some free sat finder apps for iphones/ smartphones, these give you a general pointer for your dish, you can then fine tune with the easy sat.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You could be pointing to the wrong satellite or your receiver is set to the wrong one.
Eutelsat is at the same position and there is another slightly to the east of 28*east.
Direction is critical.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well if you have a smart phone you can download an app that makes life a little easier. I have the iPhone and use an app called Satfinder ( when I have a dish on a pole ), with this app I can place phone on the dish and move it up / down / left / right until it see the UK Sat. Works first time every time.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Tuning these things is a nightmare! Here's the conversation shouted through the van window.....

Me: Anything?
Mrs W: No
Me: What about now?
Mrs W: Noooo
Me: Now?
Mrs W: No
Me: Eh?
Mrs W: I said NO!

It reminds me of the early domestic TV days when you stood on a chair to get reception!

Best thing I did was to get a phone app called Dish Align which is free! This gives you an audible 'whistle' and visual picture the closer you get to the correct direction. The app also gives other info, like elevation, skew, satellite identification etc Other good advice from other posters above including, DON'T point the thing at 45deg up into the sky! Dish elevation needs to be almost horizontal (depending on where you are in the world). Move the dish a 'nats' at a time. Milllimeters can make a difference between getting a fix, or not. Practice in the back garden.

As an afterthought, I take it you HAVE selected 'Satellite' on your TV set and not DTV or Scart!
Good luck!

Last edited:

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
It's worse now as with digital there is a couple of seconds delay with the signal so you can't just move the dish until you get a picture, I use the satfinder app on my phone, as well as the compass setting it can use the camera so you can visually see where the dish is looking to see if there is anything in the way.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you set it magnetic 151/2, by using your Iphone if you have one that is, you will be getting a signal that can be tweaked a bit, Do not forget the dish should be roughly vertical as it is set up to give the right angles then.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Well if you have a smart phone you can download an app that makes life a little easier. I have the iPhone and use an app called Satfinder ( when I have a dish on a pole ), with this app I can place phone on the dish and move it up / down / left / right until it see the UK Sat. Works first time every time.
Another good app for Iphone is Sat Scope, very easy to use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back