Peugeot Boxer - unable to engage gears (2 Viewers)

Southleigh

Free Member
Jan 26, 2015
Bradford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Peurgeot Boxer Symphony
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am new to this forum but hope someone can give me some guidance. I purchased a Peugeot Boxer Symphony last Autumn and have used it a few times. It has done about 57,000 miles. Recently I started the engine but could not engage any of the gears to enable me to pull away. When I put my foot on the clutch and try to engage any of the forward gears nothing happens. When trying 'reverse' all I get is a horrible grating of the gears. When the van does drive gear changing is not too bad although getting first to second is sometimes a bit of a battle. Also, I always have to put the clutch peddle right down on the floor when changing gear.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I may stand to be corrected but I understand it's a hydraulically operated clutch. Might be worth checking fluid level and if master cylinder is working

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
seized clutch at the moment and the gear linkage needs adjusting. both common problems

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Southleigh

Southleigh

Free Member
Jan 26, 2015
Bradford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Peurgeot Boxer Symphony
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for your prompt replies. I had earlier popped into my local garage and described the problem to them as detailed in my post. Initially I had the usual sharp intake of breath and was told it was probably a gearbox fault which I found a bit hard to accept! They then backtracked a bit and said they would have a look at the van and give a more detailed diagnosis but admitted there could be other reasons for the problem. I'm doing this as the van is under warranty and I may need to make a claim if it proves expensive. I'll let you know how I get on.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Agree with the above - the clutch isn't disengaging fully. Air in the clutch hydraulics is a likely cause but don't accept your garage simply bleeding it to get rid of the air - it doesn't get in unless there's a fault & whilst removing the air by bleeding will restore clutch function the effect will be temporary. It is NOT a gearbox or gear linkage fault.

OP
OP
Southleigh

Southleigh

Free Member
Jan 26, 2015
Bradford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Peurgeot Boxer Symphony
Exp
I'm a newbie
On further investigation I have established that it is not an hydraulic clutch but cable operated. Will simply adjusting the cable fix it or is it more likely a clutch failure?

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
If its the same as Fiat 2005 it could be the cables corroded had mine changed twice 89,000 miles?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On further investigation I have established that it is not an hydraulic clutch but cable operated. Will simply adjusting the cable fix it or is it more likely a clutch failure?
You can but try it.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
If the van has been stood up it isn't uncommon for the clutch disc to stick/bond to the flywheel or/and pressure plate. If the area where it is parked is large enough it can usually be started in gear, with the clutch depressed and it usually releases. Done it on new cars often... may be wise to get someone who did it before.
Keep us posted.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cables do not stretch or go out of adjustment overnight.....you have a different problem.

I agree with jonkil above.
if its been stood sometime, especially if it was wet/raining when stored, it will probably be the clutch driven plate has stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate.

Make sure there is nothing behind you.
Clutch right down and brake pedal on hard, engage reverse and flick the ign key to shock the plate loose....DO NOT HOLD THE KEY TO START.....just flick it so the engine moves a bit.
if that fails it may be a gearbox out job.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If the van has been stood up it isn't uncommon for the clutch disc to stick/bond to the flywheel or/and pressure plate. If the area where it is parked is large enough it can usually be started in gear, with the clutch depressed and it usually releases. Done it on new cars often... may be wise to get someone who did it before.
Keep us posted.

Sounds like that to me clutch plate has stuck to the flywheel to me to

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Also, I always have to put the clutch peddle right down on the floor when changing gear.
Could be a clue. Adjusting the cable would be worth a try - takes 10 minutes & would eliminate clutch adjustment as the cause.

OP
OP
Southleigh

Southleigh

Free Member
Jan 26, 2015
Bradford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Peurgeot Boxer Symphony
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Managed to get the van going again using the methods recommended. Adjusted the cable and this has help considerably with engaging the gears and overall changing.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A good check that the clutch is clearing completely is when you engage reverse. Push the pedal down, pause for a second or so, then engage reverse. It should engage silently. Reverse is the only gear that does not have syncromesh: forward gears do and it's the action of the syncromesh that silently prevents engagement if the clutch is dragging.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
A good check that the clutch is clearing completely is when you engage reverse. Push the pedal down, pause for a second or so, then engage reverse. It should engage silently. Reverse is the only gear that does not have syncromesh: forward gears do and it's the action of the syncromesh that silently prevents engagement if the clutch is dragging.
you beet me to it:crying:

Mar 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
Peugeot autocruise T
Sounds like air has gotten into the clutch hydraulics
Thanks for this my gears wouldn't engage and the clutch pedal is nearer the floor garage attended my break down and pumped the clutch to get the hydraulic moving and said I may have a air lock in the pipe. Hopefully then I can back on the road tomorrow

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back