melamine plates and the microwave (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Hi everyone

:helpsos:

We have been in our motorhome a year now :thumb::thumb::thumb: loving our fulltiming and getting to the end of plates etc from bricks and mortar kitchen. Yep they break a lot quicker on the road. Looking to replace and investigated the melamine route (not my favourite :ROFLMAO:- who designs the patterns on them!:Eeek:).

They are not microwave safe :ROFLMAO::cry: and like a lot of full timers we use the microwave a fair bit.

Has anyone found a way round this or is it cheapy china till it breaks. Combination of both? which then fills the cupboards up?

Looked on the internet and found a company in China :Eeek: who say theirs is microwave safe but hey thats a long way away.

Any info gratefully received.::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thanks:

Cheers
Jaen

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi we have some Aprocal ?? plates.They are thin like PYREX so are oven safe,light and tough,for when I drop them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry:thumb:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
In Asda I see that they have a dInner set in the smart price range for £3
4 Bowls, Plates, and side plates. Cheap enough.

Sonja

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When we went full time the first thing to go was the Melamine plates and cups.. ok for pic-nicks and holidays .. but not for the rest of your life .. :RollEyes:

We replaced it with French white Luminarc glass wear, dinner plates, soup bowls and coffee cups.. and now with plenty of time to cook proper meals we 'ditched' the microwave and replaced it with a Bush electric oven.. no point in paying for leccy and burning LPG .. :thumb:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi everyone

They are not microwave safe :ROFLMAO::cry: and like a lot of full timers we use the microwave a fair bit.

Cheers
Jaen

Although I agree that the designs do leave lot to be desired, we bought a 'Melamine' set from Highbridge Caravans in Somerset - with a single rose design on each component - that looks quite presentable.

But we use them in the microwave without a second thought - always have!

Admittedly we use normal 'plastic' cookware 98% of the time but we have warmed up meals etc on the melamine plates.

OP
OP
C
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
melamine versus microwave

Many thanks for all your replies. Microwave is combination, it was reheating meals that was my problem - I quite often cook early in the day and we reheat when we our ready for our meal - saves on big washing up if we eat late.

Will look into ideas - brlliant replies as always - many thanks::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thumb::thumb:

Jaen

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Hi we have some Aprocal ?? plates.They are thin like PYREX so are oven safe,light and tough,for when I drop them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry:thumb:

Do you mean Arcopal?

We use Corelle plates etc, bought in the USA and carried home in the suitcase. They are great, like pyrex but lighter.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Do you mean Arcopal?

We use Corelle plates etc, bought in the USA and carried home in the suitcase. They are great, like pyrex but lighter.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: could well be :thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO:they are very good :thumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back