Free Member
Sep 28, 2012
portsmouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2days
I have a peugeot boxer 2004 autocruiser starblazer G and would like to fit some alloy wheels to it.

Can anyone tell me what wheels will fit.

Is it a case of finding some the same size or do they need to be specific wheels for the weight of the van.

Thanks Rob

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are both OEM and after market wheels available but they do have to be commercial vehicle grade and rated correctly to carry the heavy weight. there's been a few sets offered on ebay recently, but even second hand, they're not cheap.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
They have to be load rated. Don't be tempted to just put any wheel on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just a thought, alloy wheels look sexy but they are very expensive to buy and maintain. Good old fashioned steel wheels are cheap and very tolerant to knocks and bangs, it is easy to knock out any dents etc. If you want sexy there are some quite nice wheel covers out there?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In addition to the last post.. very attractive to thieves..

stick with the big ugly tough steel wheels.. (y)

I've also read, don't know if true or not, that unless you buy high performance expensive alloys, they can be heavier than the steel counterparts..

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
WHY? They look flash!!! They dent like mad!!! They cost a bomb to buy!!!! They corrode with salt!! They need a complete set of special wheel nuts/bolts. They are heavy as hell for the needed strength to equal steel ones.!!
I have had to replace two alloy wheels on my Fiesta atĀ£117 + each following a pothole incursion that also cost two tyres.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I have alloys on mine, on it when I bought it.
Now corroding and lacquer peeling.
About to refurbish them, I will post before and after pics.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Alloys look nice. In THEORY they are lighter, and therefore reduce unsprung weight which should help the ride and roadholding.

In practice I doubt anyone would notice any difference. And they have lots of drawbacks. My van and car have alloys but I would never through choice pay more to get them.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Ours has alloys on it from when we got her, as said by others, lacquer peeling off now and the first time I took one off the van, it had seized onto the iron hub with that powdery white corrosion, had to go round and take the other 3 off whilst it was on the drive and copper slip the hubs. Having said all that, the underslung steel spare was in a terrible state and wasn't air tight so I had to get that blasted and powder coated. As had been mentioned earlier, you might need to change the wheel nut sizes, never considered it with mine till I tried to remove one with the supplied wheel wrench, which didn't fit, pleased it wasn't a puncture away from home.
Next job is to take all 4 wheels off and get them powder coated but when's a good time as I use the van as my daily transport :(
On the plus side, they do look nice and are slightly lighter.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I also forgot to mention that the side walls corrode causing slow punctures where the bead is disturbed.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I had steel wheels on mine that were rusting and looked awful.
I thought about buying alloys ,but as others have said , they cost a lot and when you come to sell your van they won't really add to the value.
Mines fiat based and I bought a set of wheel trims that were fixed to the van by the wheel nuts .They look great can't be nicked without taking the wheel off ,and won't fall off on the way to wherever .
I think the set of four cost Ā£80 ish off ebay and the van looks so much better for little outlay.

Vlad

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have a genuine question..... other than vanity what is the actual point of alloy wheels?

Deleted User
Yep have that problem with my car alloys
Had the same problem so took them to a local alloy wheel restorer, cost was Ā£40 for all 4 wheels but saved the weekly chore of having to pump them up.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ive got alloys, in fact four sets, one the m/h which is coming up to 10 years old, they are almost as good as new, no chips dents or peeling, they have never stuck, my 10 year old nissan has them they are good too, as are the orgianal fitted ones on the cmax with summer tyres on, the after market ones with winter tyres on ( still in garge as did not put the mon this year) they were ok last time I saw them.

Alloys I love emm, steel wheels paaa:moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Luv the look of alloys and would pick them over steels any day, i do however agree with above posts regarding rim corrosion leading to deflated tires as i have had this problem myself many years ago, if they are looked after they will last and serve you well ;)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
They do look good.......... but do they have any advantages on a motorhome?

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Before and after pictures.
Sandblasted, under coated, 2 coats silver... Lacquer and tyre slick finishes them.
Centre caps and new peugeot logos to follow.

image.jpg
image.jpg

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We have these orsum wheel trims that look like American truck wheels from the 1970's that the stealer we bought from put on. A bonus feature is every time I put a window down I get to say "Can you hear that rattling?"

c70e3eda92da2eeb4fd5237afa3afedb.jpg

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I am going to paint my steel wheels black when it gets a bit warmer, makes the trims look better.

If you have leaky alloys get the tyres taken off , rub the tyre well down and spray with three or four coats of primer or some cheap colour. Stops the air bleeding through the porous alloy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back