Steel Wheel Centre Hub Caps removal? (1 Viewer)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Help please - time for an idiots question!

I have bought full wheel trims to improve the look on our motorhome (from the German dealer recommended in other posts).

As the weather is good today I thought I would get round to fitting them. However, I have failed at the first step!

The small central hub cap looks similar to the one in the first picture.
central cap.JPG

It has the cut out round one wheel bolt but not the rest.

The question is, am I right in thinking I have to remove four of the wheel bolts to get the cap off?
In which case is it also correct that the bolts will be ok to put back without the cap? I cant see that the trim is under the pressure to hold the wheel on.

Is there a way to remove the cap without undoing the bolts? The replacement trims will go over the bolts.
ducato wheel.JPG

Thanks

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Yes, yes and no.
Yes you need to remove four bolts to remove the centre cap, yes the bolts will go back in without the cap, they clamp against the wheel not the cap. No there is no way to remove the cap without removing the bolts, well not without destroying it in the process. Don't forget to torque the wheel bolts up again afterwards, 160NM for 15" wheels and 170NM for 16"s.

D.

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Thanks for confirming it. One of those things that seems obvious but a second opinion makes me much more confident.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@dave newell lvs

Dave, I am interested in this thread as I intend to fit four of the smaller caps that I have but can't get the wheel nuts off (well to be honest I have been put off by the cold and lack of proper torque wrench :unsure:)

Do you have any advice on what type of torque wrench to buy please? (local garage want about £40 quid to take the wheels on and off :eek:)

Cheers

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I use one of these to get the studs off:
Broken Link Removed

And one of these to do them up again:
http://www.teng.co.uk/1292ag-ep-teng-tools-1-2-drive-40-200nm-torque-wrench.html

I did not pay as much as this, but I have had mine for a few years now. You will also need a decent quality socket spanner (the impact spanners are toughest) and possibly a 1/2" drive extension bar to get the wrench far enough away from the wheels to move it.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hmm....... thanks chaps........... not cheap eh? :eek:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Help please - time for an idiots question!

I have bought full wheel trims to improve the look on our motorhome (from the German dealer recommended in other posts).

As the weather is good today I thought I would get round to fitting them. However, I have failed at the first step!

The small central hub cap looks similar to the one in the first picture.
View attachment 52638
It has the cut out round one wheel bolt but not the rest.

The question is, am I right in thinking I have to remove four of the wheel bolts to get the cap off?
In which case is it also correct that the bolts will be ok to put back without the cap? I cant see that the trim is under the pressure to hold the wheel on.

Is there a way to remove the cap without undoing the bolts? The replacement trims will go over the bolts.
View attachment 52637

Thanks

What size wheels do you actually have? as the pictured hub cap is for 16" but the trims you show are for 15"

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Andy is correct, my apologies for erroneous info on torque, 16" wheels are indeed 180NM.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I use one of these
Broken Link Removed
because I got tired of ratchet torque wrenches breaking the ratchet and smashing my knuckles, trust me when you're pushing up to 200NM and the ratchet slips the knuckle/concrete interface is painful!

D.

Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
160 for this and 180 for that what happened to the good old days when you used the spanner that come with the car etc put it on and jumped up and down on it till it stopped moving:LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I've delayed the job until I can borrow or buy a wrench.

The wheels are 15". I used the first photo I found for the centre cap without realising it is for 16" wheels - it was the removal method I wanted to check. I had ( forlornly) hoped to just lever the cap off, clean the wheel and fit the new trim.

Thanks to all for the advice

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I use one of these
Broken Link Removed
because I got tired of ratchet torque wrenches breaking the ratchet and smashing my knuckles, trust me when you're pushing up to 200NM and the ratchet slips the knuckle/concrete interface is painful!

D.
Good advice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back